The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you tell we're brothers? Or reliable matches...

I was looking at a photo I took yesterday of my 2008 Sempatico/AfterGlow colt and realized that he looked incredibly like his brother had at that age, except for coloring. Thinking back on it, I realized their three year old sister is nearly a perfect match as well. So does anyone else have a repeated breeding that has given you very similar (and hopefully positive!) results?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...us/Coltspb.jpg

The black and white one is last year's model/ the dark bay and white this year's. They are equally similar in movement--both are lovely movers. The dark bay boy is a bit more laid back and quiet than the black and white one who is well-mannered but high energy, but they are both very sweet tempered.

I'd love to see other people's similar looking full siblings, and hear their experiences with full siblings.
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

RIP "Rio" (BW-Clarion) 2000-2009. Bright Spirit, Brave Heart, Loving Soul. I'll love and miss you forever.

That is so neat! I have done a repeat breeding once. My foals were almost completely opposite color wise but movement was very close.

They are like bookends! I have not repeated a breeding yet, but there will (hopefully) be a full sibling coming next year to this year's filly.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I'll try to find photos tomorrow, but my Big Bay Broodmare Extraordinaire(TM) put to my stallion turn out virtual carbon copies. Incredibly predictable. She though, is one of those mares who I can predict the outcome in just about every matching--at least I've been right so far. I've used her on no less than four young stallions in their first years, because I know HER so well and what she produces. I knew I could count on certain characteristics, regardless of what the stallion threw into the mix.

That mare's daughter put to him turned out two who could be 'twins' and a third who is close but not *as* close to those two. I have one of her daughters, granddaughter to the Big Bay Broodmare Extraordinaire(TM) whom I often mistake from a distance for her Gramma.

I 'blame' it on the line breeding. A very nice dose of *Alladdinn doubled up in the 3rd and/or 4th generations.

Super interesting how the patterns match in your pintos! I have a pair of full sibs, one red & white, one black and white, whose markings are close to identical. The stallion throws an extremely distinctive 'saddle' marking on the back, and usually, his head. Pair of pintos out of the Trak mare by him are also similar to each other, though not as exact as the other pair.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Smile

We have such carbon copies that on the ones that are dark bay/brown I have to look to see if there are white socks or not. I put together a slide show of my stallion's offspring and mistook one of the two year olds that I had bred (Paddy) for his older full brother (Liam). I can guarantee you that I will mistake this year's baby for Paddy & Liam when looking back on the photos in the future.

The best thing is that people mistake Priceless Clover for Clover Cliste, his sire (these are people who know horses and know the sire having been my trainers for 4 years while showing him). Got to love it when a stallion stamps himself so strongly that his kids are mistaken for him.

Clarion, WOW! That is really cool. Now my boy does not have a sibling but he does look a LOT like dad! That is probably not that unusual though. Lovely babies though. I think Sempatico is a very nice stallion, I have seen a lot of his babies that are so VERY nice!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

BTW, there is something about the black and white guy that just makes me swoon! I just love him! Wish I could put him in my barn!
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Thomas, very very cool pics!

Honestly, if we are breeding like to like, I would think that you would have a fair chance of similiarity in type. I have seen extreme similiarity and extreme difference--it is very interesting.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

We have done repeat breeding on various occasions:

EM Day Dream (Don Bosco - Furinos) had 4 foals by Prince Thatch xx
    SPS Destiny (Desert Moon - Wesley) has had 2 foals by Londonderry, with a 3rd on the way in 2009.
    SPS Pakesa (Prince Thatch xx - Duerkheim) has had 5 foals by Sandro Hit.

Independent of color there are many similarities in movement, conformation and in the way they develop (ie growth spurts, what grows when, etc.)

On our website, we show some of this on the individual mare pages. I'm in the process of doing a more in depth webpage for all the Sandro Hit/SPS Pakesa foals as I have a fair amount of video on each of them as they have grown up. I hope to have that done by this week-end and will post back with a link when it is ready.
    Linda
    Home of EM Day Dream, SPS Pakesa, & SPS Destiny
    Breeders of USDF HOY Reminisce HM and USDF Reserve HOY Legacy HM
    http://wbstallions.net/hof-mendenhall/

Yup - your two are like identical bookends for sure!

My Guaranteed Gold / Puchi Trap foals come out like absolute carbon copies of each other from the markings, to the look, to absolutely everything about them

Faux Finish - 2004 filly:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...un23-stand.jpg

Chai Latte - 2005 filly:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...stand-side.jpg

Stonewashed - 2006 colt:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...ocky1-1day.jpg

Now - except for the colour change, the next 2 foals are again carbon copies of the first 3 ...

Remember My Name - 2007 colt:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...0-Jun17-07.JPG

and finally - Daisy - 2008 filly:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...sy-Jun08-7.jpg

So - I have no idea why everything lines up perfectly and identically on each and every foal, but I am not complaining one single bit!

The coloring in the picture does not show it but these were so much alike.

The 2nd 2 are only 1/2 siblings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dakota new walk.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	21643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ukiah standing 1 web.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	21644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyGirl.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	21645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Daytona head.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	21646  

Here's a great example of what happens when you breed two exact opposites. You get two completely different types. They look nothing alike and act nothing alike.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21409...84673271tapAAr

Sorry I couldn't resist. One of my daughters is me to a T and the other is my hubby.

There are some great examples of of preponence in the foals shown here. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    Here's a great example of what happens when you breed two exact opposites. You get two completely different types. They look nothing alike and act nothing alike.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21409...84673271tapAAr

Sorry I couldn't resist. One of my daughters is me to a T and the other is my hubby.

There are some great examples of of preponence in the foals shown here. Very cool!

Now THAT is super cool! Enjoying the pics.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Gorgeous colts! I'll breed back for a full sibling in a few years too.

As for full siblings, my mare is a bay and her full sister is a dappled gray. Funny how that works.

My mare: http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...IMG_1610_1.jpg
    Full sister: http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i131/TBJMPR2/15_A.gif
    Cloverfox Stables

I have two full sibs. Althought they looked a lot alike as foals, the filly is a carbon copy of the mare and the colt looks more and more like daddy everyday.

One is very bright, the other very laid back. Same breeding, same upbringing, same handling. One is going to be a dressage diva, the other a hunter. Go figure.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

llsc, my daughters are the same. No one would ever think they are sisters.

Now, as to the horses; I've only had two full siblings and although they were both bay, absolutely nothing alike. Not in movement or attitude, one is a dressage type and the other was a perfect hunter. Both can jump like fiends though! That came through from both sire and dam.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

my horse osiris is a year younger than my mates horse ra

curisty of my aunty mandy brought hers the year before me
    they are both han xtbs and aunty resuced 10 from a dealer that was only interested in money and not in the mares or foals welfare so she brought the lot, as red tape prevented rspca in picking them up
    anyways

ra is like his dad side of the hanaverian
    and ossy is like his mother the tb

the dad was chesnut the mother bright bay with black mane and tail

ra is lighter than ossy -- as in chestnut-- hes golden
    ossy is slightly darker there marking are the same they both have half moons on there for heads
    and a dark circular patch on forleg, with a long whurl
    facially they look the same - temprements are the same and ability is the same
    they have competed together ie debs and ossy as its her horse and mandy on ra
    and have won x/c events and team horse trials as for dressing fences in x/c
    they do so with ease as they both look the part and are semetrical in there jumping styles
    meaning they match leg for leg

due to previous owner not looking after them as foals they are stunted at 15hh rather than 16.2hh
    and ossy was the worse of the foals having life long medical conditions
    but that has never stopped him from doing what he does best and that is to jump
    i do have a few pics of them competing together
    i will dig them out

I bred two full sisters - born in 2000 and 2001. The first one was a chestnut filly with lots of chrome - four stockings and blaze (wide at the top, narrow at the nose). The second one was a solid chestnut, with only a few white hairs on her forehead. They were also a bit different in head shape - the first one had a more WB type head, the second one has a more refined, chiseled head (they are 3/4 Hanoverian, 1/4 Arabian).

Here are two full siblings, a brother and sister, out of the REAL Portia by Torino. She's much younger in her photos (only a couple of days and couple of weeks old, respectively) while his was taken at his keuring when he was four months old, but I think the resemblence is still there. Both will be grey like both of their parents, though he was born bay (like dad) and she was born chestnut (like mom).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007 BWP Keuring 047.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	21664   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	315020238.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	21665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	317076965.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	21666  
    Last edited by Portia; Jul. 8, 2008 at 04:22 PM.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry