The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default German Olympic Dressage Team Selected at 2008 CDIO Aachen

Isabell Werth - Satchmo
    Nadine Capellmann - Elvis VA
    Heike Kemmer - Bonaparte
    Reserve: Monica Theodorescu - Whisper

Two more reserve riders will be going, Matthias Alexander Rath with Sterntaler and Helen Langehanenberg with Responsible.

They will go into quarantaine on July 18.. When do the U.S. dressage horses fly over for quarantaine and how long do they have to be in quarantaine in Germany and then Hong Kong?

Is this typcial for countries to take several back up horses?
    Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

OK. Where's the cross-out button! Went back and checked my source & the California west to HK was one of the alternative suggestions, but rejected by the USEF. ... Nevermind!
    Last edited by MEP; Jul. 6, 2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Oops!
    www.moranequinephoto.com
    "If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom."
    Byron

According to Dressage Daily they are going through Germany and that was always the plan.. Does anyone know how long they have to be quarantined in Germany and then how long in Hong Kong.. Do they get to ride during that time?
    Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

7 days in Germany and 10 days in Hong Kong, as I remember.

from H&H 2006

Speaking at a press conference, the Secretary for Health, Welfare and Food, Dr York Chow said: "Hong Kong has an overall advantage in organising the events given its extensive experience in horse racing, its status in equine health and its world renowned regulatory framework for equine diseases, which is well understood by the international community."

According to Dr Chow, more than 200 horses will be imported for the Olympic events, with up to 80 horses taking part in the Paralympic competitions. A trial will be held next year, where 10 horses will be imported to test-run the quarantine and inspection arrangements.

Dr Chow explained that Hong Kong's animal health authority (AFCD) will be responsible for the inspection and quarantine of horses participating in the events. The AFCD has been consulting with the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), the FEI, the Beijing Organising Committee for the Games (BOCOG) and the Hong Kong Jockey Club to device the import procedures.

"According to the arrangements, horses for the events will be imported from various countries via quarantine stables located around several designated transportation hubs," said AFCD director Stella Kung. "Imported horses will be required to undergo a period of seven days pre-export quarantine in overseas quarantine stables and 10 days of post-arrival isolation in Hong Kong". Horses will be monitored in isolation stables at Sha Tin and Beas River upon arrival in Hong Kong.

Does dressage start on the 13th of august? Can they still train during quaretine?

Training continues in quarantine,

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Training continues in quarantine,
    good deal.. thanks

Did you actually think they would stop training on July 18?

It's nice to see even Debbie has mixed feelings about going due to the travel on the horses.. On a different subject but still about the olympics how about Dara Torres 41 years young and out swimming on those kids...YOU GO GIRL..

it's interesting that someone who went out of her way to insult people on the board claiming to be above explaining things to 'novices' thought that training could just completely stop for a month for a team just prior to the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    it's interesting that someone who went out of her way to insult people on the board claiming to be above explaining things to 'novices' thought that training could just completely stop for a month for a team just prior to the Olympics.
    blah blah blah blah blah blah...
    Last edited by ridgeback; Jul. 7, 2008 at 08:16 PM.

maybe we will do better than i thought.

"do you actually think they will stop training on July 18th?"

congratulations, you have given egon something to pounce on. you get an award.

how do you give egon something to pounce on?

you log in, and you post .... anything....LOL.

ok, egon....? egon.... i think most people realize that when you start shipping horses around and traveling them to a place far away like hong kong, their training is affected. no it doesn't entirely stop, some people may not know that, but as of the start of quarantine, there are going to be some interruptions. most quarantine facilities are gorgeous. the ones my friends have used are far better facilities than most training stables, even than the best ones.

the good news is that we can assume (MOST of us can assume, LOL) that these riders know what they need to work on to improve their scores at the olympics, know how to peak horses condition wise for a specific show, and know how to minimize the effects of quarantine and travel.

i think what some people don't know is that most of these horses have flown alot. it is just not the traumatic journey some imagine. it's far nicer than traveling by road.

my friend just got a horse from europe and it looked like it had walked from its stall in europe to hers. it was not tired, it was not stress, and it was not run down. further, the quarantine facility was something like a spa, and as she said, 'Good lord, the poor horse must think he now lives at Ma and Pa Kettle's farm!' LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    maybe we will do better than i thought.

"do you actually think they will stop training on July 18th?"

ok, egon....? egon.... when you start shipping horses around and traveling them to a place far away like hong kong, their training is affected. no it doesn't entirely stop, but as of the start of quarantine, there are going to be some interruptions. most quarantine facilities are gorgeous. the ones my friends have used are far better facilities than most training stables, even than the best ones.

the good news is that we can assume (MOST of us can assume, LOL) that these riders know what they need to work on to improve their scores at the olympics, know how to peak horses condition wise for a specific show, and know how to minimize the effects of quarantine and travel.
    Wow I hope they can improve their scores if they do we could have a rider or two on the podium...

You can bet Herr Balkenhol will be 'encouraging them to do so', LOL.

the younger horse especially could tighten up his test alot. the older ones....i just hope they stay sound.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    You can bet Herr Balkenhol will be 'encouraging them to do so', LOL.
    Of course what coach wouldn't I know everyone thinks Steffan has the chance for a medal but I'm really pulling for Courtney to get a medal..

i think most people realize that when you start shipping horses around and traveling them to a place far away like hong kong, their training is affected. no it doesn't entirely stop, some people may not know that, but as of the start of quarantine, there are going to be some interruptions. most quarantine facilities are gorgeous.

yes, most people know that except ridgeback.

congratulations, you have given egon something to pounce on. you get an award.
    how do you give egon something to pounce on?ou log in, and you post .... anything....LOL

No need to get personal, slc. And no, I don't 'pounce' on everyone who posts. I do reply to the pretentious pompous types though. There are only a couple of those on the board so I don't think it is correct to say I pounce on everyone who posts, do you?

Default Based on

Based on the scores at all worldwide selection trials :

America will win Team-Gold and SP and Ravel will win individual gold !

The Germans and Dutch are wetting their pants already

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle2music View Post
    Based on the scores at all worldwide selection trials :

America will win Team-Gold and SP and Ravel will win individual gold !

The Germans and Dutch are wetting their pants already

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    yes, most people know that except ridgeback.

No need to get personal, slc. And no, I don't 'pounce' on everyone who posts. I do reply to the pretentious pompous types though. There are only a couple of those on the board so I don't think it is correct to say I pounce on everyone who posts, do you?
    Do you see how foolish you look saying I'm the pompous one..

HArHarHAR

Seriously, is anyone really predicting Gold for the US?

I'll guess Dutch for team gold and Isabel for individual gold.