The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Um can we say back to ground poles please? or better yet...learning jumping position?
    Save gas. Ride a horse.

Holy...

What the heck's goin' on?!?! I've gasped and covered my eyes at many a rider, but this is way worse.

I'm looking at pic 4 in folder 1 right now, and I seriously don't think any part of the girl's body is touching the horse over the fence except her hands on the neck. It's as if she's...flying.

Good, good saintly horses.

Southern Exposure, I wasn't there. I happened to check out this photographer's site and noticed "Oh he took pics at the last h/j show...I'll check them out." I try to stay away from the barns on that side because of some of the attitude over there.

Pocket Pony, got your pm, will reply

Veebug, I heard all the students are going to follow this instructor to whatever new barn she can get into, if any.
    Last edited by jumpingpercheron; Jul. 7, 2008 at 04:49 PM.

I'm going to say something here that will NOT be popular but here goes

How would you feel if you or your kid had their pictures linked up on this board and critiqued or ridiculed without your permission?

It's one thing to put your own pictures up and quite another to link up an entire group of people.
    ~~Some things are true whether you believe them or not~~

*Member of the "I hate the crest release" clique*

Then maybe they shouldn't allow the photographer to put the entire album up on his site for the entire internet to see if they wish to.
    The island isn't huge, there are only a few professional photographers that go to these shows and believe me everyone knows how it works, the album of the show will be posted for all to see.

But I also would actually be thankful to read all these and recognize "Oh my god I need to find a new instructor for my kid, this lady is dangerous!"

That is dangerous, and bordering on horse abuse. I don't think I'd like it if my photos were posted, but if they looked like that, I would perhaps deserve a swift kick in the behind for learning from someone who obviously has NO clue. Very sad for those saintly ponies/horses, and for the riders, one of whom is bound to have a bad fall sooner than later.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Quote Originally Posted by Due's Mom View Post

How would you feel if you or your kid had their pictures linked up on this board and critiqued or ridiculed without your permission?

It's one thing to put your own pictures up and quite another to link up an entire group of people.

If it were me and/or my kids I would be greatful for a wake up call. It's a sign of the End of Days when all of COTH agrees on anything so for everyone to be so agasted is a miracle in and of itself.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Folder 4 Number 3

Poster child for the exact opposite way to ride.

It's really unfortunate because some of these horses look very, very nice. That trainer is so stupid you probably could get these saints (or Jesus's) of horses for next to nothing because, god forbid, the trainer blame the horses "behavioral issues" on the rider's riding ability.

Golly, looks to me just like the pictures of all those pro's in the magazines I pick up!

Relax guys, I am just messing with you

As for posting and discussing the pictures on a bb...
    I don't think anybody here is trying to slam these kids for bad riding. It is the trainer that is getting abused here, and that would (hopefully) be an adult who needs a wake up call before somebody gets hurt

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Amazing. Whatever happened to 'natural talent'? Even if you have a crappy instructor, physics and natural talent should kick in to some extent. And do these people not ever pick up a book or article by a reputable trainer? And whatever happened to having your friends stand on the rail and video tape you?

I honestly can't even wholly blame the instructor. It appears that none of these people even have a shred of horsemanship in themselves and like GM says, they should take up tennis.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I gotta agree, Anyplace... I mean, if you care, it's quite possible to do a respectable job teaching yourself to ride properly. My father did it! What's "right" isn't just because it looks good, there's also function to the form... those kids flailing around just can't feel like those are smooth rounds!

I wonder how the judge pinned these riders...

Oy, oy, oy

Those poor kids and those poor ponies....saints everyone of them!

What a wake up call to the parents and kids when the new, hopefully better, trainer puts them all back a few stages to flat work, no stirrups and no hands.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Wow.... it's almost like they're trying to look bad, for a joke or something.

I mean, what are the odds that all of those riders are that spectacularly bad? It's uncanny. You'd think at least one of them would be kind of okay, even if the trainer sucks.

Very odd.

It has been a LONG time since my family was in Hawaii - but I was flipping through an old album just this weekend and opening up those pics I kinda laughed because I suddenedly went "hey that looks familiar!" (the arena and some of the background).... too funny.

As far as the pics go - seesh! I may have to use some of those as a reminder to my students what we are NOT looking for when I'm telling them for the umph-teenth time to "fix....." heels/hands/seat/don't grip with those knees!.

And yes those horses would ALL be welcome at my place just for being saints for putting up with that! My riders only wish my over fences horses would put up with such foolishness.... they all know that they may get away with a oops/snatch once or twice, but after that the horse is going to stop on them.
    Last edited by MardiGrasTimeStable; Jul. 7, 2008 at 10:32 PM.

Folder #3, Picture #3 is where I had to stop before I lost my breakfast...

The horses are nice and jumping really well, especially given the enordinate amount of crap they are hauling around!

Well, it is a "Horse SHOW". That kinda means "in public". With pictures on the internet and all. If you're not ready for public criticism, you should probably still just be practicing and not showing yet. Just because you (or your kid) and your horse can make it from one side of the fence to the other doesn't mean you're ready to show.

eventercrazy Guest

wow, thats horrible, its one thing to mess up at one fence, but even THAT is REALLY bad. Those poor horses!

Some NICE horses....what a shame. And was I the only one who was practically screaming at my computer, "LET GO OF YOUR REINS!!!" when I opened folder number 4 to see the *ahem* Cleavage Queen falling off?

Was this the show on June 28th? If so, then wow....I scoped out the results online and don't know that I've ever seen so many riders excused in one day before. Not that I should really be surprised given the stunningly horrific riding, or whatever you call it, was going on.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

smallest division was 2'3 at that show. Out of 12 riders in that division only 4 had clear rounds

2'6 power and speed had 9 riders only 1 had a clear round
    2'6 timed had 9 riders only 1 had clear round

2'9 had an excused for unsafe jump What's that? Never heard of that one, did they take a jump the wrong way or was it the rider position??
    out of 6 had 3 clear

Thats pretty scary If the parents can't figure out that 12 faults is not good or 3 refusals everytime you go out and riders falling left and right and excused for unsafe jump (whatever that is) then something is wrong then its a big part the parents fault as well as the trainers. This show really needed to say something about this and hopefully for the kids safety they did.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole