The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Spin Off: Something I Noticed.

**EDITED out of respect for a friend that asked me to delete the original link**
    Last edited by jumpingpercheron; Jul. 10, 2008 at 06:26 PM.

I'm at a loss for words!

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

eek: My eyes are bleeeeeeeeeding Maybe they should have just put their saddles on the poor horses necks. Poor horsies.. I don't think any of those kids need to be jumping anything higher than a crossrail...
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Rarely am I motivated to actually post something. Wow. I initially clicked on the link planning to look at one or two photos. Then I looked at 10. Then I just started looking at all of them in order hoping for just one good jump. I made it through all four folders and am just stunned.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I usually don't snark at other people's riding but please 4 folders of pics of riding that even leaves me agasted.. and that takes a lot. All of those horses seemed like saints but the riders are a bit make that a lot overfaced.The horses had a lot of heart to try and could probably jump much better with better training and riding. If I had been ringside I probably have been watching through my fingers with my hands over my eyes.
    Last edited by horse-loverz; Jul. 6, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

I'm even more disgusted because a lot of those horses seem like REALLY nice quality horses.

Lots of NICE, forgiving horses who really don't deserve that kind of ride. I would love to bring home the appy & the palomino.
    Did anyone notice the woman in folder 4 that looked like she was conducting an orchestra with her whip? THAT's a good horse!!
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Sadly it seems most of the riders have the same awful waterskiing position o/f and seemingly NO understanding of distances. I can't even count how many horses appeared to be buried at the fence. I actually feel bad for these riders since my guess is they all used the same trainer who apparently had NO CLUE how to ride themselves nevermind teach others to ride!

I can't believe how high some of those riders were competing at; I didn't see anyone that looked like they should be riding above 2'3 .

But honestly, if you look at pictures from any unrated, open type show your going to see plenty of scary riding IME. Heck you'll see scary riding at Rated shows too sometimes. Alot more people should be staying home riding and training, taking lessons (with quality trainers) rather than rushing out there showing.
    Last edited by LookinSouth; Jul. 6, 2008 at 10:26 PM.

I think GM would have a heart attack!
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

My horse is a jumping machine and very forgiving of my mistakes, but I'm pretty sure he would have decided NO MORE JUMPING - UR DOIN IT WRONG! a lot sooner than these saintly horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingpercheron View Post
    This was at a local barn and this past week the trainer/instructor for most of those riders was asked to leave the barn.
    So there is hope?

Never can figure out why people pay to be taught to do this stuff. Then they bit*h when they cannot figure out why they don't win.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

All I have to say is those horses all deserve kudos... and lots of treats...

Sigh... I have NEVER seen so many pictures of the same bad seat, bad distance, heels up, yanking on faces in my life. It was either get left behind or laying on the neck...

Granted everyone has a bad photo or two when they get theirs back from any show, but...EVERY photo... wow....not good... GM would have a kitten....no, make that a whole litter of kittens....
    www.CastleHeartFarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, Equitation and Ponies
    Don't practice until you do it right, practice until you can't do it wrong!

I just died a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Ok I know that I don't look the best over fences which is why I take lessons. I saw a couple of jump positions that if the horse was not a saint that student would have been on the ground if that horse tripped post jump.

Cross-rails have their place, and they need lots of cross-rail work again.

What are the credentials of their so called trainer???

It is harder to get your ammy status back then become a pro-!! Super messed up!

The picture is worth a thousand words. Seriuosly some poor child is going to get hurt. It is obvious that they all need to take a few steps back and learn the basics...

Oh my, I don't even think those kids should be jumping.

Can I take those horses home with me? They are SAINTS for putting up with that. If I was riding like that my horse would have thrown me into a jump, galloped away and then came back and stomped on me a few times for good measure.

And it might just be the hunter princess in me saying this but, I don't care if it is just a schoolie show, pink and blue braiding yarn and a fuzzy lime green saddle pad is just not appropriate (neither is the cleavage one of the girls is showing )

Quote Originally Posted by jumpingpercheron View Post
    The other thread about mediocre riding at a show reminded me of these pics from a show last week. Click on any folder:

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thum...aspx?e=3909933

This was at a local barn and this past week the trainer/instructor for most of those riders was asked to leave the barn.
    So is this in Hawaii? I can not believe how big these kids are jumping when they should NOT be even thinking about jumping.

If this is in Hawaii, I notice that most of the kids are causasion--which could indicate mostly military? what are the riding demographics in Hawaii? Probably not a big selection of barns. Just wondering-- used to live there--acutally had 2 kids in Hawaii, but thats been 20 yrs ago and we did not ride at the time.
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

Quote Originally Posted by Troispony View Post
    Can I take those horses home with me? They are SAINTS for putting up with that. If I was riding like that my horse would have thrown me into a jump, galloped away and then came back and stomped on me a few times for good measure.

And it might just be the hunter princess in me saying this but, I don't care if it is just a schoolie show, pink and blue braiding yarn and a fuzzy lime green saddle pad is just not appropriate (neither is the cleavage one of the girls is showing )
    I was about to say...a new way to win: cleavage! And that bunched up green saddle pad made me puke.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!