The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trip Harting- Bless him

8/21/08
    Update
    I am so sorry; Trip passed away peacefully this afternoon... it has been an honor to read the messages from all of you. I am in awe of him-- how many people he quietly helped, and how many people loved him. Please keep sending your thoughts to my email, as we would like to make a book of them for his memorial (maybe also post them here to share, if you would like). Will have more details tomorrow re the service.Thank you all,
    Mary and Lori

8/21/08
    Update
    Lori feels Trip is getting pretty close; so we would like to ask for your prayers for him. She was able to read some of your messages to him last night;he gets tired so she may summarize them if he is able to hear any today. Then he managed to rouse himself and gave detailed instructions how he wanted these saved to his computer! He had several close friends in to sit with him yesterday- I know one or two flew in to LA to be with Trip

8/20/08
    Hi,

Thank you for all the wonderful emails and stories about Trip. It is amazing how many people he helped and encouraged as he taught and judged all over the U.S.

Below is my original post but I was asked this am if I can appeal for donations.Flowers and cards are also welcome but you would need to send them quickly.

Trip was diagnosed two weeks ago with terminal liver cancer; a week ago they found out no treatment was possible, and to call in hospice. He is going very quickly...my dear friend Lori Lauver is one of his best friends and there is a wonderful long-time friend/ roommate who just happened to rent a room from Trip in June. There is no family to help; just Lori and the roommate (note:later on more friends came). Lori has a busy 1-person veterinarian practice and she has cancelled all her clients to take care of Trip this week. She has hired a 24 hour nurse but that is $300 a day.

Trip cannot be left alone... so if any of you could consider a contribution (small or large, anything is wonderful!) to help pay for the 24 hour nurse; Lori is still having to take care of all the logistics for settling Trip's affairs, so sometimes must leave to run all the errands. (she has her own family too).

Hospice finally came and set up a bed for Trip around 8:30 last night; the oxygen did not get there til almost midnight.

Trip can still read or be read cards; but there is no insurance for the nursing care.

Cards or flowers for Trip:

Trip Harting
    2152 Reservoir street
    Los Angeles, Ca. 90026

contributions; please write on the memo line, for Trip Harting
    Lori Lauver, D.V.M.
    Community Veterinary Center
    10617 Burbank Blvd
    N. Hollywood, Ca.

Thank you,

Mary
    8/19/08 Original Post
    Trip Harting is an S Level judge and a beloved coach and clinician all over the United States. He is going through a very serious illness at this time; if you would like to send him good wishes, please email me and I will do my best to forward them.

He may not be able to receive them, but we know there are so many people he has helped over the years who would want to know. Prayers and kind thoughts are always good.

Please email me at mary@magpiefarm.com; I will pass this on to one of his close friends who is seeing him daily. Also there are some photos of him on my website; if you have any you would like to share, I can add them.I know he did a lot of coaching.

Thank you,(this is a cross-post with permission of the Moderator; am hoping to let Pony Club people know)
    Last edited by maggiecat; Aug. 22, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
    Mary

Mary Baechler
    http://amorexswb.com/

Default Have you considered CarePages?

Hi I don't know the person you are referring to, but you might consider going to CarePages to list updates, photos and it allows people to write messages to the individual. I know it worked well for others that have been ill or injured.

Might make it easier on you and those wanting to send best wishes.

Maggie - Thanks for passing the word! I have heard such good things about Trip's judging, and I often remember an article he wrote about introducing kids to dressage - start witih quadrilles, let the teenagers pair up and choreograph pas de deux, and before long they will have the basis of riding correct figures and enjoying time in the ring, and they can move on to the finer points of dressage was the gist of it...

Unhappy Trip

Trip was such a part of our lives. He was the coach for the Area VI team (3-day) in the early 80's. He did a phenomenal job with us. The "team" was based on our ranch for 10 days prior to leaving for BC. We all had great fun, as Trip was more of a teenager than all of us put together. I can't print some of the things we did, but the memories still make me laugh.

Please count me in for a dontation.

Alden

Voltaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie08 View Post
    Hi I don't know the person you are referring to, but you might consider going to CarePages to list updates, photos and it allows people to write messages to the individual. I know it worked well for others that have been ill or injured.

Might make it easier on you and those wanting to send best wishes.
    Yes, CarePages is a great resource. Ralph Hill's situation was posted on it and I believe drew in a lot of support in one way or another.
    www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
    Thoroughbred Training and Sales

Didn't he have something to do with the Potomac Horse Center? I got my AI there and I'm sure his named was involved. I should know, but it was... err... a few years ago.

So sorry about the cancer. I hate that crap.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Trip's dad started and owned the Potomac Horse Center. When I arrived there in the sixties Stretch Harting had me go for a trail ride with him. He rode a huge chestnut Irish horse who was at least 17.2 and I rode a little grey school horse. We went all over the local countryside, jumping coops and streams. At the end I guess he was pleased I stayed on and kept up, because he had me assigned to ride his horses after that. Lockie Richards had a good laugh in a jumping lesson when I had to school "Scattery" who was 18 hands, over a preliminary stadium course. On something that tall the jumps felt like cavaletti.
    To Trip: Keep your chin up! And kick on! No one has more courage and good humor than you do!
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I just want to thank everyone for the support for Trip. The messages you all have been sending him are just beautiful; some of them made me cry, and when I read them over the phone to Lori (who is caring for him) they made her cry too. She is stopping by her house to print them out, and will be reading them to Trip tonight. I know it means a lot to him to hear your words.

Thank you,

Mary
    Mary

Mary Baechler

I worked for Trip's sister for a short time at Bell Canyon Equestrian Center. Does anyone know of her, and where she might be? This was in the 80's. I remember Trip was well liked and respected in Southern California. Please contact Hilda Gurney and anyone in dressage in Southern California, as well as at any CDS shows or the CDS association -- they may be able to help in terms of $ as well. Also, there is an Equestrian Aid Foundation and they too have funds for such emergencies, please contact them, they are based in Florida and Robert Dover is involved with fundraising or has been in the past. All of these people should be contacted if not already -- I know you are very busy but in such times, the things you do, will be chalked up somewhere by Somebody Important, and it will come back to you many times over. God bless you for caring for him and for his friends. He would not remember me so no point in leaving my name but my thoughts are with him -- I taught for a while at Potomac Horse Center and the little children there are still riding and loving horses...it is still a place of joy and laughter with horses.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Default Good ideas

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    (snip) I remember Trip was well liked and respected in Southern California. Please contact Hilda Gurney and anyone in dressage in Southern California, as well as at any CDS shows or the CDS association -- they may be able to help in terms of $ as well. Also, there is an Equestrian Aid Foundation and they too have funds for such emergencies, please contact them, they are based in Florida and Robert Dover is involved with fundraising or has been in the past. All of these people should be contacted if not already -- I know you are very busy (snip)
    These are great ideas! Right now I am pretty busy handling all the e-mails for Trip that are coming in--so many messages from his old friends or total strangers that he helped somehow. Plus I had a filly born at 1 am this morning-- went back to bed at 4 am! Always happy when foals come and everything is ok. My first Irish sporthorse baby, from an imported Diamond Lad mare and my dear stallion Amorex. I am in Oregon and Trip and Lori (she is caring for him) are in Los Angeles. Lori is doing the lion's share and I am just trying to help.Will work on these ideas later on; have to run my farm too!
    Mary

Mary Baechler

OMG....
    I just forwarded this off to as many USPC people as I could- and know there will be a response.

COTH magic at work- I so wish it would work for Trip- he has been more then generous with his time, energy and wisdom to USPC over the years.

Please give him our best- and he will be very missed at the meetings this fall! His quadrille (sp) DVD is great- and his ideas are well respected and important

Annika Kramer
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

When I saw the name Trip Harting in the thread title that name sounded very familiar to me, and before I got into the thread, I suddenly remembered where I knew him from....so I shall share my one and only experience with him where he became my hero...

He was a judge at USPC championships a while back, I was nervous as heck about my musical freestyle. I cued the music to start before the judge rang the bell, and continued on my merry way. Trip then rings the bell as I come down center line and stops my test. I walk up to the judges stand, still not realizing that I had made the huge mistake of starting too soon, and he informs me of the dilemma. Then he says something like "I think you heard the bell from a nearby arena, so don't worry about the mistake" and he sends me back out to begin properly AFTER the judge rings the bell.

WELL, I think we both knew there was no bell in any nearby arena....he was just giving me an excuse to NOT be eliminated. And I wasn't! So, I will be forever greatful for his clever response and kind words, because it would have been a shame to work so hard on putting together a freestyle only to get myself eliminated before I even got to ride it because of a stupid mistake. He was definitely my hero of the show! Such a great person!

Fivesocks,

That is a beautiful story...every time I come back to my computer, I have 4 or 5 messages to pass on to Trip. We don't know how much they will be able to read to him tonight but they will try... these stories about him are so good. Who would have thought one person could help so many people? And be so much fun too
    Mary

Mary Baechler

Unhappy Goodbye, Trip

Goodbye, Trip. You were dearly loved, and respected by all who knew you. Not only did you give me a greater appreciation for dressage, but you gave me a greater appreciation for life.

I'm sure you're very happy to be riding Achat again.

So long, good friend.
    God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

Voltaire.

Years ago, 1991, I was in LA doing my graduate work. I was hugely pregnant with twins and not able to ride. Trip must have gotten my name and number from the barn where I had been riding pre-pregnancy and called me out of the blue to scribe at the California Junior Dressage Championships. I was so impressed that he spent so much time planning this competition for the juniors. He pulled off a wonderful show for the kids. They had a terrific time. He was terribly kind to a pregnant lady and made me feel really special for volunteering. I remember wishing that we had someone like that on the East Coast. At the time, there was nothing like that, though now Lendon Grey does something similar. His attention to detail, and the fact that the organizer, rather than one of his minions, called me left a last impression of a person who really cared about the kids. Every time that I have heard his name over the years, it has brought back the good feelings that I had volunteering at that competition.

I am glad that he was surrounded by those who cared for him at the end.

Once you read his blog, and see part of the film, it makes you even more amazed at his strength.

So sorry I won't hear his distinctive voice at any more USPC functions. I am so sorry he has been sick, and can only imagine how difficult the past several years have been for him. I can say that while Trip has always been, well, a Trip, I never knew how much he had struggled with his personal demons. He always was polite, and while having an opinion, was always fair.

He was great to the kids. Great to USPC and he will be very missed. He left much that will always remain in his memory.

Godspeed, Tripster.
    I have too many ponies but love 'em all!

http://foxview-farm.blogspot.com/

Godspeed. Strength to you out there doing the detail work on his behalf. You are angels.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

May you rest in peace Trip...

A couple of years ago I went to the PC meeting in New Orleans and went to one of his lectures.
    I have no idea what it was supposed to be about but I remeber someone asked him a question about why the letters where those letters. (around the dressage arena)
    He said he though it was because a gruoup of guys sat around this some table, and the letters were an intial of their names, and the letters in the middle where the mistress/misters they had had affiars with and X stood for al ltheon es they wouldn't name...
    Made me giggle a little bit.

He also did a free dressage clinic in our PC region, but I didn't get to go, and was all about "the Quadrill Challenge" that my PC puts on every year at our dressage rally.
    He really seemed like an amazingly cool person.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

bfox Guest

Default Sad

I met Trip for the first time in 1968. I was from Long Island, fresh from the equitation ranks, heading to school at the Potomac Horse Center. Trip was my ride from the airport. Riding from the airport in a brand new yellow Mustang convertible with a driver that was not too hard on the eyes… well I thought school was looking pretty good. I was 19 and Trip was probably 21.

Trip had just retired his event mare, Orphan Valor, who became one of my first rides at PHC. Orphan Valor added a new wrinkle to my equestrian experience as she galloped full boar around the indoor arena with me on her back, while Betty Howett calmly said over and over, “sit down and lower your hands, sit down and lower your hands”. 42 years later I told Trip in an email about my wild ride on Orphan. Trip apologized for what he called Orphan’s bad manners and indicated I had not been her only victim.

Later that spring Trip judged my first ever Dressage test which could have easily been one of his first judging assignments. My most memorable comment on the score sheet was, “Should have halted somewhere on the center line.” My horse just hadn’t and we ended up on top of the boards at the end of the arena, facing Trip. 42 years later I did NOT remind him of that adventure!

Just before summer that year, Trip asked me if I thought he’d make a good Pony Club instructor. I knew very little about Pony Club but I said yes. Years later he teased that my answer must have had a profound effect on his career decisions because look where he was…. It was during that time that Trip shared with me his very certain and very wise opinions about Pony Club, particularly about the ratings system. He’d been involved in USPC for a long time and he loved the organization for what it did for young people who loved horses and riding.

It was always fun to see Trip at Nationals, fun to watch all the little girls take their pictures with him. It was a big year for Trip when they held the first Quadrille competition. He worked so hard for Quadrille.

I was really brought up short when a friend told me of Trip’s horribly sad news 2 days ago. And then I was heartsick when another friend told me of Trip’s death. I cried. And then I followed a link to “Trip to Hell and Back” and I cried more. And then I went back into my old email and read letters from EmaleTrip. All about Pony Club, positive, upbeat and hopeful. And then there were the emails with the pictures of Phantom’s pups and then the “Three Sopranos”. Never any indication of the horror he’d gone through or the project he worked on.

If I could say anything, I’d tell Trip that the revelation of the monsters in his life did not change my opinion of him or the value of all he’d contributed. We all have some kind of monster, some are bigger than others.

My hope is that Trip knew the name of his higher power before he died.

By the way, at the Potomac Horse Center, we called him Trippee.

Quote Originally Posted by bfox View Post
    <snip> My hope is that Trip knew the name of his higher power before he died.

By the way, at the Potomac Horse Center, we called him Trippee. <snip>
    bfox,

I keep thinking I am done getting weepy over Trip--I only met him on one very fun weekend when he and Lori brought me along to some of Ari's early dressage shows.Then of course your post affected me again... I got to know him through Lori's emails, as she kept me in touch with all her adventures as a partner in training this horse they both loved...

During the 3 or 4 days of Tip's passing, as I was posting updates for his friends--I would say it was life-changing (or I hope so) to realize how much good one person could do, through kindness and wise counsel. But while it was going on (so many people e-mailed about how they cared for Trip, that my wrists still hurt from answering and thanking them), I had a foal born--from Amorex and this big Irish draught mare, Menlough Countess. So one person suggested the name Trip's Countess. But I also like Trippee... sometimes I change my mind 2 or 3 times as I name foals, but she is a beautiful filly. Great canter. So if I borrow that name, I hope you won't mind. (I will give it a few days to see if it fits).
    Mary

Mary Baechler