The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dutrow back in the headlines

Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Monmouth never should have let the horse start if it just ran 2 days earlier at Belmont. Someone has to be the voice of reason when a dumbass is calling the shots.
    "Go not where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson Honor Pursuit - more than just a name!

Quote Originally Posted by loriandlobo View Post
    Monmouth never should have let the horse start if it just ran 2 days earlier at Belmont. Someone has to be the voice of reason when a dumbass is calling the shots.
    Well said!

Don't overlook that the horse had been off for a year. I believe he was scheduled for an April race, but was scratched.

I think the worse thing you can do is run a horse back quick after a long layoff. I like to give them 3 weeks to regroup physically and mentally. That first one back always is the toughest to recover from. 2 Days in insane, unless a horse throws a rider at the start and is pulled up quickly by the outrider or something.

Okay, I'll start by saying I don't trust anyone, but... could it be possible that a breakdown made sense financially? The horse had only won 2 of 16 starts, had been laid up for a year and was 5 years old. No one could have actually thought the hrse had a snowball's chance in hell of winning a race 2 days after he finished fourth?
    Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Okay, I'll start by saying I don't trust anyone, but... could it be possible that a breakdown made sense financially? The horse had only won 2 of 16 starts, had been laid up for a year and was 5 years old. No one could have actually thought the hrse had a snowball's chance in hell of winning a race 2 days after he finished fourth?
    Just saying.
    No, it didn't make sense financially to break the horse down. This horse has only raced 16 times (winning 3) and earned over $100k thus far. Not a cheap horse.

Also, the horse had been off for almost a year, but this was his fourth race back from layoff. He had raced twice in May. Dutrow was not wheeling him back right off layoff.

Dutrow uses the wheelback (running a horse back within a few days) not infrequently and has a lot of success with it. The wheelback is an old school technique, but it really works with some horses. Dutrow's success with it shows he usually knows which horses to use it with.

Dutrow has a very impressive record when it comes to breakdowns. You may not like him, but he doesn't break them down very often. He wasn't being careless or greedy when he ran this horse back - it was a calculated move aimed at winning a race. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. I'm very sorry for the horse and his connections.

Anyone remember Oscar Barrerra?

I agree Sleepy, I've seen it done, and done succesfully... I have also witnessed a horse running during the day at Laurel and then back at night at Charles Town.

When Dutrow was making his claim about not breaking down horses, he was very specific about not having them break down in the afternoons. I noticed that and wondered how he did during morning's trainings. Isn't there some article refuting this claim that was posted (link) on here? It states that he's lost several during the time period. Not a horrible record, but not as good as "no breakdowns".

Here's the significant part of the article mentioned earlier on Dutrow's breakdowns :

". . . Dutrow went on the offensive last week, saying to the press: "Now everyone looks at me as I'm a drug kind of guy. If you're a drug kind of guy, you're going to go out there and watch your horses break down. I want anybody here to tell the last time they've seen one of my horses break down in the afternoon.

"You're not going to be able to find it because I'm safe, I'm sound. I protect my horses. I remember Lake Pontchartrain broke down in Boston eight or nine years ago and I can't remember another time one of my horses broke down in the afternoon and that has to count for something."

Truth is, a review of Dutrow's starters since Lake Pontchartrain shows that the trainer has had more than a half-dozen runners not finish races and be vanned off the racetrack during that span. Horses like East Coast Country, La Cat, Unreal Madness, Sejm Boogie, Speed Hunter and In All Honesty, to put warm faces to the cold statistics.

That's not a huge number at all when you consider the vast number of horses he's sent to the track, and actually goes a long way in defending his point he's not a breakdown butcher but it also points out that you had better be careful what you say during this negative and tenuous time. Suddenly, people care. Everyone is listening"

The entire article: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...emy&id=3469773

Assuming your record is accurate, those DNFs (which after all could be for equipment failure, breathing issues, losing a rider, clipping heels or even jock brain blips as opposed to catastrophic breakdowns) happened in about 4000-5000 starts depending on when the cut off is. I assumed since 2001 and that he has started about 600- 700 a year which seems to be his typical year lately but I'd welcome exact figures if anyone has them.

Any way you want to slice it, he has an impressive record of safety no matter what you think of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by loriandlobo View Post
    On what grounds? If the horse meets the NJ and NJSEA requirements for entry, how could the horse have been excluded?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm EBO View Post
    Yes, that would be the one, apologize for my spelling...

He was notorious for running horses days apart, usually on the raise... they would never even leave the barn to train... just hack in the barn...

There was rumors galore of what he was giving his horses... every blood, tissue, urine sample came up negative... so this is really nothing new.

There was a short blurb about him in my local paper today and apparently he is on 'a short leash' from the owners, owing to his recent drug infraction and his ability to make press conferences entertaining in a bad way.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur