The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 61 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1614

Default Update!

It's been about 4 weeks since I did the DD on my guy this summer (note: I did the WHOLE thing last summer, including follow ups of ivermectin) and could not bring myself to do a second DD right now because we're at the peak of our riding season and it's so hard to try and ride him when he's hot and itchy... anyway he has cleared back up to 95% and looks great again. Still seeing a shedding of the worm-dundruff in his coat but all the little bumps went away and he has stopped itching as badly. I was so bummed to see him in such bad shape again, but it was worth it to kill those buggers!!!! Oh and wanted to note that I am in Southern CA where we have virtually no gnats... but this has definately worked for my gelding!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horseshrink View Post
    Wow. Just found this thread. Have read a lot, but not the whole thing yet. My poor gelding has been suffering during the heat for years. Would the NTW only show during the summer/heat? This seems to be the only time he suffers.
    I believe the NTW's are only active from April-September, that is why this is such a problem in the summer heat. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Would the NTW only show during the summer/heat? This seems to be the only time he suffers.
    Yes, because warm months are when midges/gnats/no-see-ums are flying rampant, spreading Onchocerca everywhere they go!

Have had vet out many, many times and have tried everything. Vet insists he has allergic fly dermatitis
    Alas, most vets just don't know about these nasty critters and they repeat the Allergic To The Fly Saliva mantra because it is what they were taught in vet school. Read the documentation posted in the first 5 or so pages from previous veterinary studies that were done (some) 20 to 30 years ago.

His pasturemate has no signs/symptoms of anything, but do I have to treat her as well since they are together?
    I'd go ahead and do at least one double dose on her too. She's being bitten by the same critters, so get on top of them.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

ChocoMare....Thanks for the info. I DD'd the gelding today. Feel very sorry for him, he is suffering so. Looks so bad I wouldn't even post pix at this time. I'm excited this may work. Can't wait. When do you think I could expect to see some results? Probably after the seond dose? Right now, I hate to even use fly spray on him knowing it MUST totally sting his open wounds bad.

After reading your post ran out and DD'd the mare also.

OK...So I jumped on this bandwagon without reading all 61 pages (trying to read 10 per day now).

Knew this had to be my gelding's problem. I DD'd him on 07/22 (Wed) evening and then starting reading the posts. Noticed most horses having an initial or secondary reaction of some sort.

He is not having any reactions at all. No lumps, bumps, nothing.

Does this mean NTW were NOT his problem after all? He still looks horrible and is still itchy. I was so hoping this would fix him. I still plan on DD'd him again on the 14th day.

Default 3rd double-dose

I had to do a 3rd double-dose of Equimax to finally get a reaction and OMG did she. She looked like she had leprosy or something. Her face was the worst but she had sores all over her body. She had some mild itchiness this spring and early summer and she had a couple of double-doses to stay on top of it. Now she is starting to rub her chest raw on whatever she can reach. I double-dosed her two weeks ago and nothing happened. I will DD her again today and wait and see.

Well I DD'd with Equimax and then 2 weeks later DD'd with Ivermectin. The little crustie bumps are going away and the bright red spots on my boarders chest are gone too. They seem less itchy but my mare is still loosing hair off her face. May just be to her sweating. But they do seem much more comfortable and no tail rubbing.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Default Update

My girl has always been a tail-rubber, breaking the beautiful hairs at the base of her dock and really thinning out her tail (disclaimer: this was in spite of the fact that (1) she is on a rotational worming schedule, (2) I go out of my way to keep her udders and dock squeaky clean, (3) I feed Omega Horseshine and the rest of her skin/coat is always excellent, (4) I've used topicals like Calm Coat, etc.). Anyway, I just wanted to report that it's been two weeks since I gave her the first DD of Equimaxx and wouldn't you know she has not rubbed ONCE since and her tail is growing back?! NTWs or not, I'm thrilled. I'll be getting more tomorrow...

OK, I am waaay late to this party. Thanks so much to all who have posted here--espe Choco and EqT!!!

My WB gelding developed this strange swelling in his poll. It varies from the size of half a ping-pong ball to a tennis ball. Vet inspection drew off serous fluid, but nothing else. Ultra-sound showed nothing. There is no heat and apparently no pain. Doesn't seem to be bothered in the double. It hypothesized by the vet to be attributed to ligamentous scar tissue from the suspected suspension of his head from the barn rafter during a floating. Been monitoring this for the last year and a half. The swelling is always present, but the size goes up and down--even in the winter months.

This spring (we are in CO, but he is homebred and foaled in VA), he developed the tissue paper thing on his sides at the widest part of his barrel--no where else on his body. Couldn't figure it out--too high for spur rubs, too low for saddle flap, suspected the edge of my insulated winter paddock boots.

Then, as the spring heat progressed he lost his appetite (was a total chow hound usually). Began to suspect ulcers. Treated with Ugard/Gastroguard. No noticeable improvement. Also, for the last several years, he has had an unimproved weepy eye--clear fluid. It's been flushed and seemingly nothing going on. He also had a mystery mouth ulcer high up in his lip this spring.

He is incredibly stiff laterally in the base of his neck and has always been reluctant to yeild at the poll in upper collection -- always seemed mechanical. He doesn't really appear to have any other bumps or misc. skin irritations, though . . .

So . . . could all this be NTW?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm..... for all those that are wondering (and double dosing without even knowing) if their horse has neck thread worms - instead of buying the hype why not get a skin biopsy before treating? apparently that will let you know if your horse is infested. (as per the nice vet on smartpak)

My vet disagrees with the vet from smartpak.

He said why run up a big vet bill when DD is perfectly safe, the symptoms match, and it's the treatment he'd recommend anyway.

If the DD doesn't work - THEN call him out and we'll see what else might be going on.

Maybe it appears we're not consulting with our vets? I can't speak for other posters but I do work with my vet.

Do you all treat only the horses that show clinical signs of NTWs? Or do you DD each horse in the spring as a preventative?

Last year I followed the DD protocol on my pony after reading this thread and it cleared up the NTW issue. I also treated one of my 3 horses who showed mild signs and he improved. The other 2 horses have never showed any clinical signs of NTWs. The pony needed to treated again this year.

I'm wondering if the horses should be treated even if they don't show any outward signs.

Incidentally, the pony is 23 yo so the NTWs have had years to reproduce. The 3 horses are ages 7, 9 and 10 - so perhaps this is why the pony shows the worst reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearskin View Post
    OK, I am waaay late to this party. Thanks so much to all who have posted here--espe Choco and EqT!!!

My WB gelding developed this strange swelling in his poll. It varies from the size of half a ping-pong ball to a tennis ball. Vet inspection drew off serous fluid, but nothing else. Ultra-sound showed nothing. There is no heat and apparently no pain. Doesn't seem to be bothered in the double. It hypothesized by the vet to be attributed to ligamentous scar tissue from the suspected suspension of his head from the barn rafter during a floating. Been monitoring this for the last year and a half. The swelling is always present, but the size goes up and down--even in the winter months.

This spring (we are in CO, but he is homebred and foaled in VA), he developed the tissue paper thing on his sides at the widest part of his barrel--no where else on his body. Couldn't figure it out--too high for spur rubs, too low for saddle flap, suspected the edge of my insulated winter paddock boots.

Then, as the spring heat progressed he lost his appetite (was a total chow hound usually). Began to suspect ulcers. Treated with Ugard/Gastroguard. No noticeable improvement. Also, for the last several years, he has had an unimproved weepy eye--clear fluid. It's been flushed and seemingly nothing going on. He also had a mystery mouth ulcer high up in his lip this spring.

He is incredibly stiff laterally in the base of his neck and has always been reluctant to yeild at the poll in upper collection -- always seemed mechanical. He doesn't really appear to have any other bumps or misc. skin irritations, though . . .

So . . . could all this be NTW?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It won't hurt to try. Just be sure to do both Double Doses. Do do do!!!! keep us/me posted
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by crazy gray horse View Post
    Do you all treat only the horses that show clinical signs of NTWs? Or do you DD each horse in the spring as a preventative?

Last year I followed the DD protocol on my pony after reading this thread and it cleared up the NTW issue. I also treated one of my 3 horses who showed mild signs and he improved. The other 2 horses have never showed any clinical signs of NTWs. The pony needed to treated again this year.

I'm wondering if the horses should be treated even if they don't show any outward signs.

Incidentally, the pony is 23 yo so the NTWs have had years to reproduce. The 3 horses are ages 7, 9 and 10 - so perhaps this is why the pony shows the worst reaction.
    Since all horses get bit by the gnats/midges/no-see-ums, you can be sure that the NTWs are there but living happily under-skin, breeding away. If one horse has outward symptoms, then hit everyone. For the "Mild/No Visible Symptoms" horses, though, you could do one DD Equimax and then follow up with a second DD IF you see emergence/itching/skin changes.

Default got a ?

this thread is so long, but it looks like you guys are using one DD Equimax and in 14 days following with one DD ivermectin, right?

thanks Chocomare - makes sense of course. So I'll hit everyone with a DD.

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    this thread is so long, but it looks like you guys are using one DD Equimax and in 14 days following with one DD ivermectin, right?
    Close.... DD Equiimax on Day 1, DD Equimax again on Day 14 - Repeat on Day 21 for severe cares.

Mild ones can do the DD E''max/DD Ivermectin.

just found this thread, wonder if it would help my horse....this is the 2nd summer in a row he has got the itchy/crustys....been told it was allergies, but.....hhhmmmm....

ANYWAY, I just did a regular deworming with ivermectin 3 days ago......when would i be able to try the DD? Do I have to wait a certain amount of time, since I just wormed? Thanks......
    I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert!
    If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning!

Quote Originally Posted by azeventer View Post
    just found this thread, wonder if it would help my horse....this is the 2nd summer in a row he has got the itchy/crustys....been told it was allergies, but.....hhhmmmm....

ANYWAY, I just did a regular deworming with ivermectin 3 days ago......when would i be able to try the DD? Do I have to wait a certain amount of time, since I just wormed? Thanks......
    Let him have it!

WOW, What a thread.

Anyways, I got the DD down, but what do you guys do for the crusty's as far as treatment. Leave them alone and let them heal or pull the scabs off and let the fresh air get to them??? Do you put any meds on top of them, and if so, What? A mare I know of has the worse case of crusty stuff I've ever seen and it is so painful to the touch for her that she is not wanting to lie down to rest. Would very much like to help this owner out while she is waiting on a call back from her vet. Thanks for the info.
    I am trying to be the person my horse thinks I am.