The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 78 of 81 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1614

The elimination programs have been going on for 15-17 years, since the 90s, to show their current results. In humans like in horses, Ivermectin kills only the juveniles and slows reproduction, but the adult worms have to die of age and not be replaced. Humans take the drug 1-2 x per year. If Ivermectin could be given to most all susceptible animals in an area for long enough, theoretically the disease could be eliminated. Between cattle and other food animals, I doubt that will happen.

Has anyone heard if deer can host NTW? If so, most of the US can kiss elimination good-bye and we'll just have to manage infection loads/ keep the horses covered with Ivermectin regardless of fecal counts.

It's a pretty fair hypothesis that ALL Hispaniola horses have been exposed, given the reactions I've seen to ponies' first dose of Ivermectin. What again is the maximum spacing of Ivermectin doses JUST for controlling NTW?
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

This is a very informative threat but didn't have time to read all 78 pages! Could somebody answer whether it needs to be a double dose of just plain ivermectin or does it have to be equimax? Thanks so much!

Also, does it matter what time of the year you do it?

Over the course of this and a few other boards, it seems the best results are with Equimax. Several did report positive results with plain ivermectin, but most that I recall who started with plain ivermectin ended up going with Equimax to finally get results.

You do the DD when there are issues, for the most part That generally means warmer weather when the midges are active.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks JB!

I'm wondering if treatment must be Equimax or if what
    is desired is ivermectin with praziquantel. I can get
    compounded liquid ivermectin with praziquantel (with
    a vet's blessing) from Redline Pharmacy through Heartland
    Vet Supply for $12 per double dose (for a 1000# horse)
    which is around half what Equimax would cost for the
    same amount. Be nice to save a few dollars but, obviously,
    there is no saving if the treatment doesn't work.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I have used Imax Gold liquid here in Aus which is Ivermectin and Praziquantel with good effect.
    It's up to you to choose whether you will allow the curve balls thrown at you in life to become stepping stones or stumbling blocks.

Bumping this back up. Warm weather has finally arrived. I noticed the other day my one guy began showing signs (rapidly flicking his tail between his hind legs) of the worms moving around his belly midline. I checked, but saw no midges flying around his underside, so concluded it was the internal worms on the move, getting into position for gnat season.

I had just received my shipment of worming meds for him, too. Seems just in time. My annual battle against his NTW begins anew.

We did our first double dose yesterday (Ivermectin). Today not a hint of tail flapping.

One of our horses had several outbreaks last summer, so I have been very careful to watch for any signs this Spring. A few days ago, I saw some very small black flakes on his butt cheeks by the edge of his tail hair where he had major outbreaks last year. I also DD Ivermectin and so far have not seen any further development.

It is up in the 70's here and the flies and gnats are just starting to appear.

Sorry if this has been covered but does the dosing need to be exactly 14 days apart?
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

A day or two off schedule won't make a big deal.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Default Blessed Relief!

I have an Icelandic mare who has suffered horribly. After one DD, she has a new lease on life. I have seven horses plus two boarders who will all be treated. I think some horses display terrible symptoms, others may be carriers. We want this nastiness gone! I am trying to find a vet school and sponsors for new research on onchocerca. The main research available in North America is thirty years old. It came out around when ivermectin was introduced. Our vets need current information. We all do.

This may have already been posted here but I don't have time to read through all 78 pages. I have done the two double doses (two weeks apart of course) for my horse that has classic sweet itch symptoms and still no relief. How many cycles of this would you think before it's safe to assume that it's not what's causing the symptoms?
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

A friend of mine wants to treat her 3 horses for NTWs. She has on hand 3 tubes of Zimectrin Gold. If she uses it, should she get more so she can DD it ? Or do you just DD the Equimax?

Or should she use the 3 single doses and follow up in 2 weeks with DDE ?
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Stay AWAY from the Z-Gold!!! A) it doesn't have as much praziquantal in it; and (more importantly) B) It has a long and inglorious history of causing mouth & lip ulcers. Just do a search in this forum on it and you'll see.

Stick with the Equimax and the protocol as outlined in here: double dose by weight Day 1, double dose by weight Day 14.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the quick reply ! I had told her that i would never use zgold but she had it and didnt want to waste it. Now i have another question. How does quest or quest plus work in this program? I know not to double dose quest or quest plus, but is it too powerful of a wormer to repeat in 14 days ? And should you hold off on DDE if you have wormed with quest or quest plus in the last month or 2 ?
    from sunridge1 Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.

Another dose of moxidectin in 14 days would be nearly the same as double dosing.

Moxidectin is stored in fat, which is (partially) why it's a longer-acting chemical. Dosing again so soon puts more of the chemical into storage where it could cause harm.

I would wait 12 weeks after using Quest before considering a DDE.

Yup, what JB ^ said

Thanks again ! Relaying all this good info now...........

Whew! I began reading this thread two days ago and I'm still only up to page 45! Fantastic.

Has this information been collated anywhere?

I'd love to see a condensed version after such a long time

I wasn't even aware of this forum until guided to it via another website, so have now joined.

Oh well, back to page 45 ...