The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Partial Suspensory tear, PRP and the perforamnce horse

My nice, big, 9 year old (17.2) eventing mare has a partial suspensory tear. She is starting shock wave therapy and we are going to do PRP. She will be off for 7 months. I would love to hear some stories, good and bad, on returning to work after a suspensory tear, especially if you did the shock wave/PRP route. We are low level eventers.

Location of the injury makes a difference. Mine was high and in front, which is supposedly the "better" place to be (lower is worse, and hind worse than front). That horse actually did his twice -first time, shockwave and rest/rehab brought him back 100%, but second time, alone was not enough, so we did PRP as well. Did great, and after more rest/rehab, he came back again. He was a low level hunter, and was cursed with some wickedly crooked legs that contributed to the problems. He unfortunately had another injury on that leg, had to have an MRI to figure that one out (medial collateral in foot), but they took a look at the suspensories while there and could barely find the old injury. So PRP and shockwave really seemed to have helped it heal well.

Good luck with yours!