The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How many foals did you breed 5 years ago and how many this year are you breeding?

That is my question.

*Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

5 for me 5 years ago.

This year---tried for one at the last minute. (still pending if pregnant or not)

We had 4 foals 5 years ago. Since then we have had about 2 per year until this year and we have four. We are breeding for 6 for next year.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

I think it is really impossible to get a concensus on what breeders are doing, way too many variables by region, by breed, by niche market such as color ... some farms have pasture, some have to use hay that is trucked in and grows more expensive with every tickup in price at the pump.

Some mare owners can handle inseminations themselves, others rely on the vet and his prices are ticking up with his costs.

Also the younger breeders may feel they can handle more risk than the older breeders (moi!).

I haven't thought about NOT breeding mares until 2008. I am a junkie and in rehab for it.

Time will tell.

I'm a junkie too. I like that word. I need a baby fix like crazy.

Your probably right about not being able to get a realistic number, just was kinda curious.

Five years ago, I bred one.

This year, I'm for the first time stepping up to two, breeding tomorrow. Semen is on FedEx as we speak.

So that would be the 2004 crop? We had 5 that year. 3 maidens with 1 frozen dose conceptions and 2 live covers with Adamant.

For 2009 - 4 confirmed, 2 awaiting scans & 1 not pregnant - 1 confirmed frozen, 3 fresh cooled, 1 not pregnant and done for the year with frozen, 1 pending frozen & 1 pending fresh.

I had 1; it was my first year breeding. This year's foal crop was by biggest; 4 on the ground and still waiting on 1. I'm hoping to have 3 next year.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Five years ago I bred four, but one mare did not conceive, so I had three 2004 foals. This year I have 7 mares in foal for next year, one leased out that is pregnant and one still to be bred. Three of those are ETs that I got very lucky with.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecrazy27 View Post
    I'm a junkie too. I like that word. I need a baby fix like crazy.

Your probably right about not being able to get a realistic number, just was kinda curious.

Add me to the junkie club!!!

2003, 2 foals born
    2008, 7 mares bred.
    2009, None if the economy doesn't improve considerably.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

5 Yrs ago, I bred 8, this year I have none bred for 09. Im sitting on my hands to see what happens after the elections. Im just in a slump with all of this. There is very little money in breeding and the risk factor is high. Im just in internal nego with myself these days.
    Im an accountant, Im not dumb to numbers..... and the P&L sucks.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Three, although I had one still for sale.

No foals this year for the first time in recent memory

Breeding two. Started the protocol about 20 mins ago.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Bred one mare in 2003, a new mare that I had just purchased.
    This year I bred one but she didn't keep it so she will wait until next year to be rebred. I am breeding another mare with one dose of frozen Quaterback and she has a foal by QB at her side. I don't usually breed my mares when they have a foal by their sides but this years QB is so very nice, just couldn't resist another try! But only one try since it is so late in the year!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

four in 2004
    four in 2008- so far three in foal, one trying desperately to take a vacation.....
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

None five years ago, three this year and three mares being bred. Next year I hope to have five bred... So, I hope to be able to sell something but if I have to hang on to them until they are three then that is ok too. If I absolutely had to sell I would be a bit worried. The market here is good but for foals in the upper price bracket, US buyers are important..sooo, not sure what will happen.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Well, since I unofficially heard that the 2nd Qtr is positive, meaning - "No Recession" I am breeding for the recovery
    8 last week and 8 or 9 this week and 3 preganancies from the week before. I do not know how many will foal out here as I always sell a few nice mares in foal.
    5 years ago I bred about twenty and up to 25 before that but I had less stallions and bred less outside mares. It is not an economic decision but one of sanity as with the hundreds of outside mares we service now 12 foals is pushing it and we had 15 this year!
    But they are so nice....
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

We attempted to breed 3 for 2004 but only 2 conceived. This year we are breeding 7.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Home Again Farm View Post
    Five years ago I bred four, but one mare did not conceive, so I had three 2004 foals. This year I have 7 mares in foal for next year, one leased out that is pregnant and one still to be bred. Three of those are ETs that I got very lucky with.
    Mary Lou,
    You have 9 coming in 2009. Wow! That's fantastic. I am amazed that your market is so strong. Your enthusiasm and confidence are inspiring, especially in this market.

We had two foals in our 2004 crop, one (Commander by Contango) is now in England with Jo Pay/ John Whitaker. The other is our Pinto Lord Sinclair filly Lourdess who is here in my pasture as I write this.

We dabbled with breeding this year, but when push came to shove, we chickened out. With feed prices going through the roof and other expenses, it is just too expensive and too risky. Didn't want to take the leap. Home Again must be doing something right.

Edited to add: Edgar has 20 mares in foal for 2009... holy cow! Where do all those foals go, year after year after year?

Quote Originally Posted by Cartier View Post
    Edgar has 20 mares in foal for 2009... holy cow! Where do all those foals go, year after year after year?
    Well, with more American's looking to buy homebreds instead of importing, due to the rise in costs, this may be a wise decision

2005 Three foals
    2006 Four foals
    2007 Eight foals
    2008 Five foals
    2009 I have six in the works and that's it for me.

I decided to cautiously breed six mares, my best producers, and see what the next six months bring before I decide how many I will breed back next year. I'm prepared to breed nothing next year if I sales don't stay as they are now.