The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LOL...okay, who's the wise-arse alter having fun?
    Seriously...it's gotta be an alter having fun. Or a troll. Nobody over the age of 13 should be shocked that animals have sex. By that age they have to realize if it's not extinct, it's having sex. Frankly I'm surprised there were actual serious replies about the subject...it's not really a breeding issue thread but a "Wowee...horsies do the dirty deed" thread.

If you want to be shocked by two animals having sex...watch a nature show of tasmanian devils doing the bing-bing...now that's pretty shocking! Or open your windows in spring and listen to foxes when they're feeling randy...sounds like hell.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

If the OP is at any of y'alls barn you should be able to pick him out easily.

He'll either be blind or have hair on his palms.

I've seen everything from natural pasture breeding where the stallion is turned out with the mares all summer and he does it when he decides the time is right to much more "formal" live cover at some of the major TB breeding farms in Lexington, KY, what's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post

when he decides the time is right
    Welll...usually it's SHE who decides when the right time is. If she's got a "headache" Mr Studly can get a double barrel set of hooves in his face.
    Which is why the mare in hand breeding is practically hog-tied.

Speaking of Hand Breeding...is that what you meant about Hairy Palms, J Swan?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Sadly, I don'y even think the OP is a boy. I think SHE is one of our regular posters having fun poking at everyone with sticks. SHE might consider getting a hobby. Or a life?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Welll...usually it's SHE who decides when the right time is. If she's got a "headache" Mr Studly can get a double barrel set of hooves in his face.
    Well I was only a child at the time and not interested in breeding of any kind but we were told that the stallion instinctively would know the best time to get romantic. They also said he would breed each mare three times during the season. This was a Shetland pony breeding farm, two stallions, each one was turned out with his band of "ladies" in a 50 acre pasture for the entire summer. Just about everyone seemed to get pregnant with no help from the humans.

The lesson ring was next to one of the breeding fields though and the owners occasionally had to explain to some of the kiddies that the ponies were giving piggy back rides in answer to their curious questions.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    SHE might consider getting a hobby. Or a life?
    Or a boyfriend so she can worry about her own sex life.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    Ugh, I have a horrible first time story- I was boarding at a morgan farm and they had a nice stallion, but a bit crazy, anyway he was having problems, well, getting in the mare, so the daughter of the barn owner, not more than 18 at the time, grabbed him and shoved him in the mare...I was horrified...still a little damaged from that experience. I sure did respect her after that though!!
    seriously? wow. if that bothered you then you certainly don't want to be anywhere around when they are catching sperm and using an actual mare as a teaser.
    Dreaming in Color

Perhaps the OP just likes to see how quickly us COThers can get in an uproar. In all reality, the thread itself is not bad and it certainly got alot of views.

I laugh when I think about how many guys read the panty thread and what reading that did to them.

On a funny note, in the pasture that was in my old yard, the owners leased it to some nitwits who turned out a stallion with 3 mares. Needless to say, my 4 year old twins got quite the education on horse reproduction that summer!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaCrew View Post

Then the jump, and then again time for kisses and cuddles together for lovebirds. It is just beautiful, they sure know about romancing.

Methinks someone is anthropomorphizing just a wee bit......

I've seen plenty of breedings and have never seen "kisses and cuddles". "Powerful" is the word that comes to my mind, and not in a breathless, "ooh you're so strong" meaning.

I also didn't think it was "beautiful" or "romantic" either, but maybe I'm just not sensitive enough.
    Last edited by arabhorse2; Jul. 1, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

The few breedings I have watched - well - just gave me pause. As well my first time seeing a foal born.
    Speaking of National Geo - on TV - watching elephants mate - I think I will not watch that one again..........

arabhorse2, I really see a lot of love, care and these small nice things when two horses are romancing. Not in a human way, of course... But again, who I'm to say so, as probably I had seen more romancing animals than humans

The biggest laugh in my life (on that sort of thing) I had when my 9 mo old foster shimpanzee spotted the equipment of my St.Bernard. I wish I had camera at hand. The expression in her face was like a teen girl would see her idol walking in her room out of the blue. Sooo adoringly, with such a respect...

Animals never are kinky, it's only we, humans, who are making things kinky
    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post

J Swan, you owe me a keyboard! I just spit tea all over the place. (I think some even came out my nose, eww.)

Thanks for the laugh.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Ehh...it's nature. Though I must admit to a moment of shock when I offered to assist with a collection one year, and was told "here, hold this in case we need it." "It" was a stallion condom.

Nothing else breeding-related has ever really shocked me, but I do tend to feel bad for the mares...they sometimes take quite a pounding on both ends, first from the stallion, and then from giving birth. All I can think is, OUCH.

And the closest thing to "romance" I've seen was when a stud practically passed out on top of the mare.

Quote Originally Posted by SBT View Post
    And the closest thing to "romance" I've seen was when a stud practically passed out on top of the mare.

Harumph. Typical!

Typical indeed! He did the deed, then hung on the mare like a ragdoll until the handler dragged him off. Luckily the mare was a stout QH, or he might have squashed her.

Stallions that fart during the act are quite charming too...

OMG you guys are too much!

At one barn I was at they decided to turn the mare and stud out together and 'let nature take it's course'. Well it was summer camp week and all the little campers were within earshot of the proceedings, so they all rushed out to see-they were very concerned as to why the horsies were 'stuck together'. We had to carry a lot off little kids to the tack room with our hands over their ears and eyes attempting to calm them with tales of horsey leapfrog and horsey tag. Some of the parents were less than impressed.

West of Mims, East of Oveido. If you figure it out, please let my mail carrier know.

OK, as soon as I saw the OP said the stallion was hauled in for live covers....

Uh, yeah, let's get the guy thinking that he hops in the trailer, goes down the road and gets some. NOT.