The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that you are the only one who seems to have noticed?

Actually I always thought it was the mare who was taken to the stallion, the theory being (I think) that being in an unfamiliar surroundings might render the stallion unable to perform, whereas the mare, in unfamiliar surroundings, would just have to stand there ... (and hopefully be receptive).
    in uk it is, i took my mare to the stallion as the stallions have to be licensed
    unless its it like a pykey situtation where they dont care, who does what

its normal for the mare to go to the stud, or have Ai via vets agian the mare goes to either the stud or vets

Quote Originally Posted by rideitlikeuluvit View Post
    Ok so todayat our barn my trainer had a stallion shipped in to do live cover on a mare. It was the first time I watch live breeding and I was kind of in shock I guess. Anyone else have similar expiriences???
    are you new to owning horses and dont know the nature of things of how they mate or whats to be expected

birds and bees etc -- open your mind mating is part of life in all species

I'm quite new here, and just made first trip to stallion with my mare, but I think it is just very beautiful and powerful thing to patricipate or just watch.

I'm a great believer that live cover is much better than AI.

Here we allways take mare to the stallion (if not only special circumstances), and owner of the stallion does all the paperwork.

He was making these really funny noises, yes, but the whole thing was just beautiful experience for me.

I had my mare on lead, the vet - stallion on lead. I do not know how they do it in other places here, but my vet does it like that - first thing they have some time for sniffing and kissing, stallion inside barn, mare outside, duch door between them. It gives time to see if mare is keen or not.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...8/PICT4207.jpg

Then I go inside the next stable, close the dutch door, mare stays outside, I'm holding mare's lead. Vet takes the stallion outside, and let him run around in circles on lead until he is ready. Then the jump, and then again time for kisses and cuddles together for lovebirds. It is just beautiful, they sure know about romancing.

Then she puts stallion inside and I take mare around in circles for a light trott, and then we can go home
    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Default Welcome to the world of breeding

As a stallion owner I can tell you it's hard work, even with those stallions who are really good at it, ummm, hitting the mark the first time. I often think what the people driving down the road may think as we are breeding.

We don't have a breeding pen, we have our own set up and "ritual" for breeding that works for the mares, the mares who have foals at their sides and for our stallions. Once a routine is set it works. I always say getting the mare to stand is 50% of the equation.

We have also said kiddingly that every hormone raging teenager should HAVE to work on a breeding farm for a season and it will change their mind about wanting sex for a long time.

Our daughter, who is now 14 has helped us with the breedings since she was 10. She never holds the mares but, get them ready (clean, tail wrapped etc) and is my "eyes" as I am watching the stallion and handling him as my husband or someone else (who is competent) holds the mare. And yes, I have had to "assist" the stallion in getting in. When my younger stallion was first starting to breed we had to have extra people help b/c he was not getting close enough to the mare when he mouted (he was new at this) and they would have to give him a shove on his butt to get up for me to get him in.

All in a day's work!

Quote Originally Posted by TBjumper103 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the OP only posts....well..... threads containing unmentionables, such as the pantie thread?
    Did you also notice the mod's deleted that thread in H/J? As I said before, the OP's username says it all. . . . my theory is it's a pre-teen boy getting some thrills. . . . you don't have to play along. . .

Rideitlikuluvit,
    For heavens sake, go buy a Playboy or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren! View Post
    Bwaah! Horse Stork! I love it.
    Methinks CoTH has a new expression!!!
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

National Geographic might be more appropriate...
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Isn't this OP the panties thread person?

Edited to add: Yep, I see everyone else already said the same.
    Exactly.

Yeah, the stallion ALWAYS comes to my house.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

The first time I watched live cover I was 10. Mom had the mare and dad handled the stallion. I'll admit I was quite shocked in the beginning but I got used to it after that.

It's nature at its best.
    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

Well the OP might post questionable material but this thread really is not that bad.

I can remember the first time I saw live coverage. I was 16 and asked to assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    National Geographic might be more appropriate...
    LOL

Has anyone else noticed that the OP only posts....well..... threads containing unmentionables, such as the pantie thread?
    Ew...I noticed this too.

Perv-alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The more you stir the $hit, the more it stinks.

When I was maybe 15 I was told to hold the mare during a breeding session. It was a little loud and violent for me at that age. BO got mad at me for abandoning ship and ducking for cover when the mare got pissed and reared (sperm was flying everywhere) at stallion for not being gentle enough. Not exactly sure what the BO thought I was going to be able to prevent considering my size.
    A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble companion walks beside you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post
    uuuh. Nope.

Always take the stallion to the mare. The mare needs to be in an enclosed area, where it is easy entry to get the stallion in and out. The mare should be held by an experienced person. The stallion should have a handler too. All humans should wear protective gear.

To try to get a mare into a stallion pen, without him trying to jump the fence, the gate or the stall door. I don't think so... As to unfamilar surroundings, we do use the same pen but our stallion doesn't care "where" he does it. Just as long as they smell right and are receptive.

Yes...Our stallion will often get it in the wrong hole or miss the hole, if we don't redirect. That is a set-up for tears, infections, etc. In our set-up, I hold the mare, my husband handles the stallion. It can get a little dicey "redirecting" the penis of a one ton animal, such as ours. He isn't always careful where his legs are. We use stud chains on the mares and the stallion. I have to be careful not to stand in front of the mares, getting pawed is always a risk.

Basically though, our stallion is a gentleman and Percheron mares are easy to handle. Babies complicate matters though.

My best (and worst) breeding story...errr...(confession). In MD, our breeding pen was near the neighbor's fenceline and structure, which was a very religious Baptist church. I am sure that it made for some interesting discussions on at least a couple of Sunday mornings during breeding season. But I always felt that as they left their huge grocery store style parking lot lights on 24/7 to shine in our bedroom window (which was in the middle of nowhere), I just always thought they must be looking for a show and Charles would give it to them!
    http://www.cieloazure.com/charles.html
    http://www.cieloazure.com/charlesfun.html
    Um, Cielo, I think what other posters mean is having the stallion SHIPPED to the mare.....usually he is at one farm, and the mares are brought in.
    I know that 50-60 years ago in Britain some stallions were taken from area to area to cover mares though.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Um, Cielo, I think what other posters mean is having the stallion SHIPPED to the mare.....usually he is at one farm, and the mares are brought in.
    I know that 50-60 years ago in Britain some stallions were taken from area to area to cover mares though.
    Dee
    It only makes sense to have the mares brought in. One stallion covers a lot of mares, so he'd have to do a lot of traveling, vs. each mare only having to travel once. Also, each mare's site would need to have the breeding set-up, vs. just one at the stallion's.

And I agree, whether or not the OP is a perv, I am sure (whether he/she knew it or not) he/she is expressing something a lot of people have felt over the years

I think for once someone wasn't afraid to post and talk about what they saw. I'll give them credit for posting it on here. The thread certainly got alot of replies which means this is a point of interest for the cothers.

Question am i seriously the only one

Realy... is everyone else too blind to realize what the OP is doing? Soon the thread will be deleted like the other thread, then another perverted thread will be started, and the chain will continue with people believing this is a real thread.
    Yes, I think if the thread was started with a legitament story, then it would be intrestedint to hear other peoples experiences, but this is just some teenage boy siting in his room who happend to stumble upon a horsey BB and decided it would be fun to make up some perv threads.
    Seriosly some people just need to get a life.... or a magazine for that matter.

Realy... is everyone else too blind to realize what the OP is doing? Soon the thread will be deleted like the other thread, then another perverted thread will be started, and the chain will continue with people believing this is a real thread.
    Yes, I think if the thread was started with a legitament story, then it would be intrestedint to hear other peoples experiences, but this is just some teenage boy siting in his room who happend to stumble upon a horsey BB and decided it would be fun to make up some perv threads.
    Seriosly some people just need to get a life.... or a magazine for that matter.
    Nope, you're not the only one. The first thing I thought when I saw the author of this thread was, "Oh, that's the creepy/pervy/weird person who started that strange/awkward underwear thread on the h/j forum." So, I checked to see what this one was all about, and sure enough...again, it's a thread with sexual connotations.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Darn, I seem to have missed the kinky underwear thread when it was out there. I just thought it was yet another discussion of granny panties vs. boy shorts, which has been done to death. I had no idea that it got so, umm, interesting...
    "She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was shaped funny and rolled asymmetrically."