The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USA Today 06/30/08: "Equestrian O'Connor riding with a heavy heart"

"Equestrian O'Connor riding with a heavy heart"

Very nice work by Janice Lloyd in today's USA Today. Don't miss the multimedia about preparing for competition (with video of KOC).

(I haven't seen the print ed but I hope there are some good photos.)

What a heartbreaking story, her grief is palpable. The story made me cry all over again.

"....And near his training course, Teddy will stay.

"He's got the best view," Karen O'Connor said of the burial spot on top of a mountain on the farm's cross country course. "He's a king among kings."

Very kind and well written article. JER thanks for sharing..
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

Am I skimming over it or does the reporter call him "Teddy" throughout without ever referring to him as "Theodore O'Connor?"

I don't see him use the words 'Theodore O'Conner', but that could be because Karen never called him that in the interview. Does it matter?

Oh, geez. Bless her heart. I hope and pray she makes the team. Karen has always been such a great role model for our sport.

That was a really nice piece.
    One quibble, though -- I wish they had had Karen wearing her approved helmet during the "close up" bits of the video -- she is clearly wearing it while jumping, but I assume they thought the hunt cap looked better. Would have been a better message to show her wearing the proper gear for what she was doing.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Yeah, she's jumping with the proper helmet, but when she's talking, she's wearing a hunt cap. In some of the shots you can see the hunt cap on one of the jump standards. She was probably switching for talking and jumping.

I agree, though - it would have been better to have the proper helmet on the entire time. If I had not read your post first, I would not have been looking for it and probably would have not noticed the different helmet while jumping and thought she was wearing her hunt cap the whole time.

I can't find the link for the video.
    I clicked on something but received only an annoying pop up.

where is it?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

You have to click on the "How do Equestrians prepare for Olympics.." link. That will take you a multimedia page with graphics and vids but you have to cycle through the stuff to get to the vids.
    SPACE FOR RENT

So heartbreaking. The ache will go on for a long time. Like a piece of her soul is gone forever - and the ripple effect has reached all of us.

"Theodorable"...... Teddy's people, you're never far from my thoughts. Wishing you growing strength and peace and gentle breezes on Teddy's aerie.

what a lovely article. I can't imagine Karen's loss. To have such a partner is rare, and to have that partnership propel you both to the very best of the sport is amazing. So horrible. It still doesn't seem real, even after more than a month.
    Day Care, Preschool, Grade School, High School, College, Job: When do I get to PLAY??

this started the tears for me:
    "So my line for Mandiba is like the last line in The Devil Wears Prada where they say, 'You have some pretty big shoes to fill,' " O'Connor said. "My line is: 'You have some pretty little shoes to fill.' "
    Owned by an Oldenburg

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    What a heartbreaking story, her grief is palpable. The story made me cry all over again.
    Me too.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I saw the print ed (I'm on the road, only place I see USA Today) and it's the cover story for the sports section. Two nice photos -- one of KOC on Mandiba and another of KOC on Teddy in dressage.

The article doesn't call Teddy anything other than Teddy but then big-time sports stars don't need any explanation. Like Shaq or Tiger or Pele.

I highly recommend everybody click on 'recommend' (under the byline) for this article. USA Today does notice who reads what and ranks articles by popularity. This piece is a good one (despite the sadness of the Teddy story) and I'd like to see more good coverage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I don't see him use the words 'Theodore O'Conner', but that could be because Karen never called him that in the interview. Does it matter?
    Yeah, I think it matters. In stories about Big Brown he isn't exclusively referred to as BROWNIE.
    How about the sheer coincidence (or kismet) of a horse named THEODORE O'CONNOR finding international fame with a rider named KAREN O'CONNOR? And the fact that he was so named before he got to her barn? I think it's pertinent.

I agree with JER. I think there is a difference - I have never/seen heard Big Brown's owner call him anything other than Big Brown.

I did not know Teddy had any other name when I first heard/saw about him in the Eventing world. It is likely that the interviewer never heard Karen use any other name and felt that using the name Teddy would give him the most recognition outside of the event world.

I did not know that Teddy had the name Theodore O'Connor before Karen started riding him and while it is an interesting piece of information, it was likely not relevant to the story. Newspaper writers only have so much space available to them, and he is focusing on the Olympics so that little story was destined to fall to the wayside.

Unfortunately not everything can be included in an article and while his full name would have been nice to use, to me it does not damage the integrity of the article. Everyone possible knows which horse is being discussed, which is the important part.

Big Brown's barn nickname is Brownie, much like Teddy's was...Teddy. You see the point I'm making. Please don't infer that I think the reporter should be hung for not using his registered name; I was just surprised to see it overlooked.
    And Theodore O'Connor WAS Teddy's name for his entire career, which before Karen included going from training to advanced with Christan Trainor, a talented rider based in NC.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I just wish I had gotten to see that horse ride in person. Just once. If anything, all these recent events have reminded me just how many things I take for granted and what I'm missing out on in life.
    SPACE FOR RENT