The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Working Student Positions for A Horseless Rider?

I'm looking for a working student position for the summer of 2009, but will most likely have sold my current horse by then. I have not done eventing in awhile due to issues with said horse, and would probably be looking to gain confidence again competing at the Beginner Novice/Novice levels.

I am a dedicated and hardworking individual with experience in eventing, dressage, and hunters. My passion is eventing, however. Also, I have a Pony Club background (currently rated as a C1).

Can anyone recommend some good places to look at who have horses that I could possibly work with/compete?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Team CEO Eventing.
    Megan and everyone there is fabulous and you are welcome as a working student with or without a horse.
    teamceoeventing.com

I don't have any specific suggestions for you, but it will be a lot easier for you to find any sort of WS position if you aren't looking to bring a horse - so you have that on your side!
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Jane Sleeper in PA has horses for her working students to ride/compete.

Team CEO-- I've only been for an interview, but it was great. The horses are amazing
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

Courtney Cooper has taken a couple of horseless WS in the summer. I think csquarefarm.com is her website
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

Natalie Hollis in MD. www.watersedgefarmllc.com I went out there for a week a couple years ago to check out the program and it was great! Lots of hard work, but lots of riding too! Gorgeous location and facility.
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Not trying to hijack the post, but can you have a WS position for only a month? I would love to have one next summer, but I also have bills to pay so having one for an entire summer would completely cut out my chances of going back to school in the fall. Any suggestions? I found a place that offered 2 week WS, but I cant find it now. i believe it was in GA. Anyone know?
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

RR9- I think Jim Graham in AL will do a short term WS. And hes good too.

OP- he'll do a WS without a horse as well- one of my friends is leasing her horse to him for a WS.

At Team CEO you get a project horse to train and compete.....I was a working student there this winter/spring....Megan is fabulous! =]

I met Megan and Courtney this winter in Aiken where they boarded many horses for the season. Both are very professional, seem fun to work/ride with and take excellent care of their horses.

A friend of mine is currently doing a one month working student program in Canada so that can be an option. I think many trainers appreciate (usually free) help at anytime.

Once you find an opportunity, I think it is good to ask around about that particular trainer and get some background from prior w/s so you have a better idea about what you are getting into.

Good luck and have fun!
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

Thank you for your responses, everyone! I appreciate the suggestions.

I have heard nothing but great things about the program at CEO, and I met the girl who runs it (Megan? Is that right??) very briefly one evening in Aiken and she seems very cool and very interested in getting her students on horses and riding. Not always true with a lot of WS programs.

Jane Sleeper, I understand, will give you one hell of an education, but can be very tough on you.

I like Courtney, but don't know much about her WS program. Good rider and can make up some nice horses. If she can teach, she'd be worth it, and I think her business (selling LOTS of horses) would be highly educational.

There are lots of WS positions out there that don't require a horse, you just have to do some digging and be prepared to bust your hump!

You might want to try Caroline Atherholt Dowd-she usually has some horses for sale that you could ride-she is a great trainer-tough but you learn a hell of alot. She runs her training out of her parents barn in VA-here is the link
    www.redfoxhillfarm.com She is awesome!