The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What Hunter/Jumper stallions cross best with TB Mares?

Ok since I am still struggling to make a decision - I had some good advice from a COTHER - since I have no clue what my mare will produce I should go with a stallion that is a proven cross with TB mares.

The one that leaps to mind for me (only because I have ridden some of his offpring) is Landkoenig.. He has proven offspring from TB mares.

Who else has proven offpring from TB mares?
    Last edited by EquineLVR; Jun. 28, 2008 at 07:44 PM.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Jupiter or Viscount for hunters.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Cielo B has quite a few really nice foals out of TB dams- I have seen some lovely Pablo X Tb- I also saw some nice Domiro TB crosses that appeared to be nice hunter prospects.
    What about Sir Caletto??

Don Alfredo really seems to produce exceptional hunters out of TB mares. He puts a great hind end on them, and the two that I have ridden are just a pleasure, so light and easy to ride. I can't find much fault with either conformationally, although I have seen one that could have used more bone for my taste.

I also think Popeye crosses best with a TB mare with a nice, long, elegant neck. He is one of the "big boys" that I think really does best with a TB mare.

Alla Czar also crosses great with TB mares who are lighter; his foals out of bigger mares are also great, but they sure can get big!

Alpenstern
    Alla Czar
    Schoenfeld
    Hennessey
    Ariadus
    Don Alfredo
    Just the Best

There are many different types of TB mares! I would have to know more about your mare.

Some of the stallions mentioned are great, but for certain tb types.

Depending on your mare, from the experience I had with my tb mare I would absolutley say Roc USA. He does breed to wb's, but his tb cross offspring are fantastic and winning in both the hunters and the jumper futurities. (one just was champion in the 5 yr old jumpers at Ledges) My mare is petite and a hunter all the way and he added great bone and my colt is stunning. He is almost black with such a presence, I couldn't be happier with what I got. That said, I wanted more bone and better hind end and thats what I got. All depends on your mare and what you want!

Good Luck!

I saw that you are in Colorado, I would go look at Chaleon. If you mare is at least 16 hands, he is a beautiful refining type and I have a couple friends that bred to him this year. His hunter babies will be starting to show soon and I hear there are some pretty fancy ones! (not to mention they sell like hotcakes!)

Ironman

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    There are many different types of TB mares! I would have to know more about your mare.

Some of the stallions mentioned are great, but for certain tb types.

Depending on your mare, from the experience I had with my tb mare I would absolutley say Roc USA. He does breed to wb's, but his tb cross offspring are fantastic and winning in both the hunters and the jumper futurities. (one just was champion in the 5 yr old jumpers at Ledges) My mare is petite and a hunter all the way and he added great bone and my colt is stunning. He is almost black with such a presence, I couldn't be happier with what I got. That said, I wanted more bone and better hind end and thats what I got. All depends on your mare and what you want!

Good Luck!

I saw that you are in Colorado, I would go look at Chaleon. If you mare is at least 16 hands, he is a beautiful refining type and I have a couple friends that bred to him this year. His hunter babies will be starting to show soon and I hear there are some pretty fancy ones! (not to mention they sell like hotcakes!)
    Chaleon was my first pic - but he is only via frozen and she is maiden - did not want to go that route with a maiden mare. If you want to see pictures of her there is another thread that I started about being in a Quandry - advice needed. There are pictures of her on that thread.

My mare is also petite and huntery - very fine boned and about 15.3.

I think there are a bunch of WB's that cross well on TB's...I think the key is to zero in on what TB traits you are looking to improve on your specific mare and which WB's tend to produce that in their TB cross offspring. Also...I might pick a way different horse if I'm crossing a particular mare for a hunter vs a jumper so that may change your pick...or for a good all around horse that may be a different stallion yet. From my own standpoint we found lots of TB's needed help in the neckset, topline, hind end engagment, bone, feet quality, and brain...so we selected a stallion that was very strong in those areas and have been lucky that he seems to improve those things on both WB and TB mares. With lots of site champion Palladio x TB crosses beating out full WB's at inspections and winning in the showring I'm happy as a clam...

Just my opinion...get critical with your mare so you pick the best stallion for her...not just a stallion that's crossed well on other types of TB's.

Just cross posted with you....really cute mare!!!
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio

OK...not that I'm biased about that Caletto I blood or anything but I just check out Chaleon...that guy is a cutie patootie over fences...funny how those Caletto's jump like that...
    Ours has the same knees...
    somewhat OT but those knees are a great family resemblance...

Ooops...forgot Sir Caletto...another Caletto I relative with seriously nice knees
    Last edited by crestline; Jun. 29, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Andrea Clibborn-Anderson
    www.crestlinefarm.com
    Home of Pinto Dutch Warmblood Palladio

well in my opinion she needs a better engine - she is some what straight behind - needs more bone - better loin connection and better feet.

I love her temperament - I love her shoulder and neck and beautiful face - I know, I know you dont ride the head but its a nice to have.

She is a pretty daisy cutter mover and pretty athletic. Not hot or stupid but sensitive. Loves attention.

While I agree that not all sire's work well with every TB mare, I think there are stallions that work better with blood then other's, and give you a better chance of avioding strange outcroppings. There are also lines that are proven to be better with blood (Voltaire, which is why I think Popeye would as well, considering he has very little on the dam side & his type), and with horses like Alla Czar and Don Alfredo who have a huge sample size, the results speak for themselves. Of course you have to then decide which stallion is right for your mare based on her personal attributes and his, but it gives you a good starting point.

I also would like to add Navarone to the list, I've seen a couple out of TB's that were lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    well in my opinion she needs a better engine - she is some what straight behind - needs more bone - better loin connection and better feet.

I love her temperament - I love her shoulder and neck and beautiful face - I know, I know you dont ride the head but its a nice to have.

She is a pretty daisy cutter mover and pretty athletic. Not hot or stupid but sensitive. Loves attention.
    You should also do well with Coromino. He produces horses for H/J and dressage diciplines and has fabulous babies out of TB's - mine is a keeper: Tall, LOTS of bone, great conformation, character, presence, and a canter to die for. Was praised to the heavens at his GOV inspection!

Quote Originally Posted by GGStables View Post
    You should also do well with Coromino. He produces horses for H/J and dressage diciplines and has fabulous babies out of TB's - mine is a keeper: Tall, LOTS of bone, great conformation, character, presence, and a canter to die for. Was praised to the heavens at his GOV inspection!

Was yours out of a TB mare? Do you have any picures of him?

Default sir caletto x Thoroughbred mares

The crosses are excellent...Dr. Wilkens, now retired, of the Hannoveranor Verband was quite smitten with how well he crossed with Kennedy Road x Pass the Glass daughters..you can certainly contact me for validation.
    Barb
    Silverhorne Sporthorse LLC
    www.silverhorne.com

Cabalito

All his babies out of TB mares that I know of are super. Great minds, increased bone, a fabulous jump, lovely across the ground, and a good motor but not quick.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

There are really too many to list, but a couple of my all time favorites were the Holsteiners Colombus and Lemgo.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Gualco View Post
    The crosses are excellent...how well he crossed with Kennedy Road x Pass the Glass daughters..you can certainly contact me for validation.
    I can only imagine, I have one with Pass the Glass (along with some Buckpasser on the bottom-side too) who is my absolutle favorite horse. From what I have heard, Buckpasser really give them jump That with Sir Callettol...yumm....those are some great TB lines to be mixing with!