The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default If this was your mare ... who would you breed her to and why?

I have my 2004 homebred TB mare - Faux Finish - being shown this year in the Young Hunter division with my trainer in PA. She has shown in the Hunter Breeding for the last 2 years and finished 2007 in Reserve Champion position for the 3 year olds.

She has had a couple of shows under saddle under her belt now (last November at her first show she won both classes and was Reserve Champion of the division and last weekend she finished 2nd in both of her Young Hunter classes under saddle) and is a wonderful mover and a beautiful hunter type, through and through through her natural head carriage and her overall look.

She is a full TB mare by my stallion - Guaranteed Gold - and is 16.3hh-17hh now as a just turned 4 year old and should probably mature in the 17-17.1hh range

She is a large bodied TB mare which most people mistake for a WB or WB cross so she could be crossed easily and well with a WB stallion

With having built our new farm last year / this year and starting a new business venture, I simply dont have the funds this year to show her as much as I would like and looking forward to 2009, I have to see if she will do the PreGreens and Green Conformation divisions (if funds allow) or if I will bring her back home and possibly consider breeding her instead

I absolutely, 100% want a pretty stallion that is refined and classic looking, with a lot of chrome that has the ability to throw competitive Hunter Breeding babies that would then go on to a Hunter career down the road. He also needs to have some "bling appeal" as well - I love chrome and find that chrome sells the best and I want as much bling on this baby as possible. I wont consider an EVA positive stallion as we simply are not set up to quarantine or vaccinate mares and I simply do not want to get into the hassle of doing so

Fresh cooled semen or frozen - I am open to both. North American or European stallions - again - no problem with either options.

New, unproven stallions of the "right type" are fine as well - I have taken a chance on a new, freshman stallion for my race bred mare this year and wouldnt hesitate to do the same with a stallion for this mare as well.

Here are a few pictures of this mare

As a 2 year old:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...ndon-Jul06.jpg

as a 3 year old:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...Devon-07-1.jpg

and as a 4 year old:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...g-hunters6.jpg

and:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...g-hunters3.jpg

So - any and all suggestions are very much welcomed! What new stallions are there out there that might suit this girl to a "tee" and what possible European stallions are there out there that dont have a lot of babies on the ground in North America just yet?

This is one stallion that I love the look of and I would take a chance on him in a heartbeat:

http://www.horsedeals.co.uk/bigjump2.aspx?horseid=5094

but they dont have any "quarantined" frozen available on him yet. If they do for 2009, he would be one I would love to breed to my mare for sure!

Thanks everyone ...

Popeye K and Don Alfredo both come to mind. Chrome, hunter movement, excellent sale potential.

*sigh* she's just so stinking beautiful! Good luck with whatever stallion you pick for her, Donna.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

What about Balou du Rouette?
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Thanks Jill!

Don Alfredo Ive never considered before - I'll have to look him up ...

I am not a Voltaire line fan at all, which would rule Popeye K out. I dont like the temperaments in a lot of them and find that Voltaire himself was very thick through the front end with a short neck which does seem to pass on to the 1st and 2nd generations. Faux Finish is substantial enough through her front end - I want to keep the elegant and refined look and not overload it with a heavy fronted stallion.

I love Apiro as well, but for this mare - no. He is too heavy and a more refined TB mare would work perfectly with him but I wouldnt want to see him crossed with this mare.

Balou du Rouet I hadnt considered either. I will take a look at him as well ...

Does anyone have any Cabardino babies out there yet? Comments on them good and bad and what types and breeds of mares did you cross him with and were you happy with how the foals are looking now as they are maturing? Is 2008 his first foal crop or did he have any 2007 babies as well?

I'm a HUGE fan of Cunningham (Hol). I have a daughter and LOVE her. There's a thread titled "Cunningham" with photos of him and his offspring.

Good Luck -- she's a beautiful mare!
    Seb
    \"The Truth is contagious, and I haven't washed my hands in days...!\"-- Stephen Colbert
    www.janearmour.com

What about Sempatico -- that's alot of bling,LOL! Or Red Wine or Escapade have bling and are marketed to the hunters. Not alot of bling -- but A Fine Romance is certainly lovely and a proven sire, babies should market themselves. What about Remarquez,another nice Thoroughbred stallion with bling. You could also use Kate Redmon's Palomino Thoroughbred stallion, Canadian Kid, if he's not related to yours -- I don't know what color you'd get. His foals have won on the line. What about Oskar II -- he's just gorgeous, lots bling and my yearling filly by him is just spectacular out of a Thoroughbred mare. Consul or Ikoon might be too big, but what about Navarone or Just The Best? Horalus, Hadrian, Tzigane, Titulus, Tradition and many more of the Trakehner stallions are typey and have bling. What about Coconut Grove? Not the bling-y factor, but certain a "name". Certainly alot of them out there -- good luck!
    PennyG

I meant to say, Balou throws TONNES of chrome. Karin from Sporting Chance farms uses him alot and all of their foals have come out with major chrome..belly splashes , blue eyes ect.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I dont know about the bling but I love Chaleon. Not only have I seen him in person but a friend at my barn has a 4yr old by him that is the real deal.

Both Cunningham and Chaleon are grey I would guess that the OP might not really want a grey out of this particular mare And there is at least a 50-50 chance that she would get grey

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I honestly don't know if his movement is right, but the first one I thought of is Yeager.

I don't now that Tico's movement is right for hunters per-se, but State of the Art is going to guarantee pinto, and historically has sired lovely hunters. I don't get the impression you're looking for THAT MUCH color though.

Yeager sure would compliment her type and build.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post

Does anyone have any Cabardino babies out there yet? Comments on them good and bad and what types and breeds of mares did you cross him with and were you happy with how the foals are looking now as they are maturing? Is 2008 his first foal crop or did he have any 2007 babies as well?
    Gosh TC, I'm reading your post thinking: Cabardino...Cabardino...Cabardino...and BINGO! ...Yes!!He'd make a superb match for her. His sire is the beez kneez too, you know or "The Business" depending on how ya wanna say/look at it!

What about Escudo I ? He has sired quite a few successful hunters (Cool Blue , Be Cool just to name a few - more here http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/pointsA...re&sid=4127236 )

Last year you had mentioned Zarr was on your list. He is pretty and has sired plenty of successful hunter breeding youngsters. He would probably offer the refinement you seem to be looking for.

Nob Hill sure has some fantastic youngsters winning on the line.

I love Don Alfredo and I do not think any list of hunter stallions is complete without him.

How about Shine?

I'd probably begin with investigating who are the leading sires of hunters (not hunter breeding) on USEF and, to the extent you could tell, what the dams were to produce the horses earning the points.

If you could get ahold of some of the Zeus semen that someone else on this board found, I'd go for that in a heartbeat at any expense. (Think he is listed at least among the 2007 sires.)

I think you should breed to Silvio. Big, Elegant, Refined. Super mover, Chrome out the wazoo. The babies are puppy dog gentle. A typical comment is "I have two colts by Silvio, one is very nice, the other is better". He has bred over 65 mares already this year most of which belong to professional horsemen and women.

I would go with Carpaccio (Cabardino's sire) over his son. Carpaccio is very, very well bred, throws chrome, a great jump, lovely hind-ends, and already has approved stallion sons. His dam-line is impeccable. I have also seen offspring of his that are more huntery in movement then in Cabardino. He usually throws more refined types.

How about Goodtimes, they are all very, very pretty and he has proved to be a very nice sire. Karen, who posts on here, has a lovely lovely Goodtimes.

If she is truly very huntery (she sure looks it), then I would go to a horse with proven jumping lines so you can get the best of both worlds.

I'd breed her to Gadget: http://www.huntingtonfarm.us/hfhstallionpgnew.htm

He's gorgeous, has a wonderful temperament, stamps his foals and just got back into the ring with his amateur owner.

He's LOVELY!
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

Become a fan on FB - Rising Star Farm

Love Chaleon. He is very refined, some of the other mentioned, not so much.

You are going to start seeing some fancy hunters by him soon out of the woodwork!

Do you not want grey?

i second the Balou du Rouet recommendation. You might pm Karin Himinez at Sporting Chance Farm; she has had a number of them and they are gorgeous. You probably would like her filly by Balou, named Bleu. She is black with mega chrome and blue eyes.

Thank you SO much for all of the great suggestions! Now I can have fun researching all of the ones that I am not that familiar with ...

Samotis - no - I dont want a grey stallion, with the 50% chance the 50% chance of dilute colouring on the foal will eventually grey out ... and having said that Chaleon is a gorgeous stallion - just the wrong colour for what I want!

Carpaccio I am not familiar with at all (other than being Cabardino's sire). Is he on this side of the ocean or the other side???

Zarr is still very much a consideration for her ... I love what he has been throwing ...

I am not looking for tobiano colouring on her foal at all. I prefer the less obvious, sabino coloration, especially for the hunter ring

Alla Czar is another stallion I feel would be a terrific cross with her and I dont believe there are any dilute Alla Czar offspring out there at all so that would be a nice cross to consider as well.

Thank you all again - very much ...