The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lap of luxury for Olympic Horses in HongKong

Cool

I hope its better built than some of their schools.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

It stood up to a typhoon during the test event last summer.

11 foot square stalls.

11 foot square stalls.
    A little bigger than that.

Will you be withdrawing then, slc?

where's the turnout?

Well DUH, it's in the same place as the turnout in every other show venue!
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

11.8 ft.

Yes, I know. Less than 2.5 inches short of 12 each side so why say 11X11.

Quote Originally Posted by canticle View Post
    where's the turnout?
    right here

"For the first time ever at an Olympic venue a rolling box, measuring 20.5 square meters, will be provided to allow horses the opportunity to relax, stretch and play.

67 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    Yes, I know. Less than 2.5 inches short of 12 each side so why say 11X11.
    Aren't most so-called "12x12" actually about 2 - 3" shorter than that each way b/c they are measured without taking into account the wallboards or something like that? (I remember reading something to that effect when researching barns...)

Question for those who know, as I'm honestly curious. Is an air conditioned barn a good idea? I've been to China 3x times (once to Hong Kong in August), so I *know* how hot and humid it will be, but is going from that heat / humidity to an AC barn a good thing for horses? Do their bodies adjust to immediate temperature changes that well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ember View Post
    right here

"For the first time ever at an Olympic venue a rolling box, measuring 20.5 square meters, will be provided to allow horses the opportunity to relax, stretch and play.
    Rolling box? 20.5 sq meters? That's the size of 1.5 parking spaces. Doesn't sound like luxury to me!

Oh come on, It's silly to expect turnout at any show, let alone a show of this size.

I think the attempt to provide a place large enough for a horse to roll is very accomodating.

Good grief, you think that an Olympic facility must provide turnout? Not sure that would even be a good idea if it were possible.

They don't live there, you know, it's a SHOW. Rollyeye thingy.

It seems that the equestrian facilities in China will be better than the ones during the last Olympics in Greece. If I remember correctly, temps was in triple digits and no AC for people or for horses there, only cooling fans with mist.

Link to the 2004 Olympics equestrian, arenas, barns pages: http://www.cyberhorse.net.au/cgi-bin...csstables1.txt

Also, in 2004, the equestrian part of Olympic Games took a financial hit, b/c of the lack of spectators. I hope this year will be better.

Racing is very big in Hong Kong, maybe if they allow betting...??
    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
    NO! What was the question?

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Aren't most so-called "12x12" actually about 2 - 3" shorter than that each way b/c they are measured without taking into account the wallboards or something like that? (I remember reading something to that effect when researching barns...)
    As I found out when trying to fit 6' x 4' mats into my 12' x 12' stall!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Question for those who know, as I'm honestly curious. Is an air conditioned barn a good idea? I've been to China 3x times (once to Hong Kong in August), so I *know* how hot and humid it will be, but is going from that heat / humidity to an AC barn a good thing for horses? Do their bodies adjust to immediate temperature changes that well?
    Horses in the UAE (and other places I'm sure) also have air conditioned stables because of the heat and humidity. They do adjust, but of course they live there so perhaps it is easier. I expect the horses might wear sheets in the stables.

Aren't most so-called "12x12" actually about 2 - 3" shorter than that each way b/c they are measured without taking into account the wallboards or something like that?
    Yes, and it's because stalls are built using outside dimensions. How goofy is that. The builders expect you to know that. I also purchased custom mats for my 12x14 stalls and that's when I discovered it. Thankfully I made them 12x14 because if 12x12 I would have felt them too small. I cringe at those small portable stalls (some with a pole in the middle) that many horse shows have. At Wellington, the hunter/jumper horses live in them for the whole season. They are only about 10x10. With all the money spent on horse showing, I think providing some larger stalls is not asking too much.