The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

hey there Mags.
    Are you by chance up North and are you from Va?

I drove past that accident this morning about 11:30 AM. The cab of the semi drove completely through the dressing room of the trailer. I can't begin to imagine the kind of force it would take to literally punch through the side of a trailer.

I'm happy that the people involved survived. I was hoping there were no horses in the trailer because it didn't look like anything in the trailer was going to survive.

Posted speed limit there is 55 MPH. Traffic usually runs at about 60, and 65 isn't unusual. Visibility there if you are ON 15 is pretty good.. at least it is straight ahead. Possibly you can't see very well pulling out of the farm's driveway.

It looked like the trailer pulled out into the path of the south bound semi.

When I came back north at 1 PM, they were towing the trailer into the driveway of the neighboring farm. The trailer was nearly cut in two.

Nasty, nasty accident.

Big rig going a little too fast? Let me tell you I drive that road every day to go to my barn..those dam rigs drive like maniacs on that road!!!!!
    They think it's a racetrack! They haunt you in you're rear view mirror if you're not driving over 80 miles an hour! And you for sure take your life in your hands if you dare try to pull out onto 15 and one is somewhere in the distance coming up on you.
    It's definitely time someone slowes them down...

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

A strip that is flanked by horse farms just is not the best place to have set at 55 mph. They really do need to lower it. But, again, we're talking VA -- people would fly thru there anyway.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliaStudMuffin View Post
    Big rig going a little too fast? Let me tell you I drive that road every day to go to my barn..those dam rigs drive like maniacs on that road!!!!!
    They think it's a racetrack! They haunt you in you're rear view mirror if you're not driving over 80 miles an hour! And you for sure take your life in your hands if you dare try to pull out onto 15 and one is somewhere in the distance coming up on you.
    It's definitely time someone slowes them down...
    I was gonna say something about this but figured I might cause a stir, but since you said something, I will too.
    That is the very reason why I don't drive on that road anymore. Those trucks WILL tail you if you aren't going fast enough and it's really really scary! I can't help but feel super angry at the truck driver because I know, as well as a few of you know, that they were probably going way faster than they should have been.
    Nothing can change it now, for sure. But dang...something has to be done and I feel like nothing will be done considering they are adding MORE construction to that area of the road here soon with the round-abouts at Gilbert's Corner.
    GRRRR!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    A strip that is flanked by horse farms just is not the best place to have set at 55 mph. They really do need to lower it. But, again, we're talking VA -- people would fly thru there anyway.
    You are so right, it would make sense to make a speed limit change there. But like you said, who in VA would follow it if it changed???

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Indeed J. Indeed. You probably don't want to really look too hard at some of the gruesome accidents that have happened in that area, especially the ones involving the commercial haulers who rip through there knocking the commuter and residential traffic aside. It would probably make you relocate your horse.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Default Fact Is...

Hey Guys: I was there. I know the party involved. And we do not have all facts in yet. So please lets not "assume" that anyone person is at fault. I WILL AGREE with you on the speed thing. They do drive very fast there and why is it that VDOT has not lowered the speed limit or even put up signs of Horse Crossing , turning traffic, or anything . NOW maybe they will. IT only took a matter of time.

Sadly, this is exactly right. People are just out of control in the rural areas. I've been driving the route from 234 to 15 to 50 to Snickersville (and back) recently with loads of hay, and it is nuts! These drivers act as though you have no right to be on the roads at all if you're doing anything farming/livestock/agricultural related. God forbid that you actually drive the speed limit and they get stuck behind you. I'm not saying that's how this tractor trailer guy was driving (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise), but like everyone else, it wouldn't surprise me if he was zipping along at a good clip well over the speed limit.

I don't know Veronica, but my heart breaks for her. To those who do know her, I hope that you will let her know that there are a lot of people here who care and who offer their support and condolences. Accidents like this remind us that it could so easily happen to any one of us. Like many others have said, I can't wait to see and hug my mares now and let them know how precious they are to me.

VDOT waits until X amount of people die before they do anything. Could not believe how many accidents had to take place at the foot of my street before they finally put a light there. Crossing that gauntlet before was like a Super Mario Bros game.

I drive that strip of 15 several times a week, since I ride out there. I make sure to give my signal looooooooooong before I take that left turn into the drive and if there is no northbound traffic while I'm traveling southbound, I'll actually get into the northbound lane to let all the southbounders go by. You never know when someone isn't going to notice that we all just went from 55 mph to 0, no matter how gradual.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Sadly, this is exactly right. People are just out of control in the rural areas. I've been driving the route from 234 to 15 to 50 to Snickersville (and back) recently with loads of hay, and it is nuts! These drivers act as though you have no right to be on the roads at all if you're doing anything farming/livestock/agricultural related. God forbid that you actually drive the speed limit and they get stuck behind you. I'm not saying that's how this tractor trailer guy was driving (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear otherwise), but like everyone else, it wouldn't surprise me if he was zipping along at a good clip well over the speed limit.
    Like the ones who tail you in Aldie when the speed limit is 25 and you're going 30?! omg...it's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jse View Post
    Nothing can change it now, for sure. But dang...something has to be done and I feel like nothing will be done considering they are adding MORE construction to that area of the road here soon with the round-abouts at Gilbert's Corner.
    GRRRR!!!!!
    Yes, WHAT is the deal with adding those round-abouts??? I was told that it's because they're building a shopping center or something on that corner. Is that true?!?

Default You Would THink

Now that this has happened or even before this tragic event there should be signs on Rt 15. In that area alone there are tons of Horse Farms with traffic going in and out on that road. You can almost expect a accident anytime or on any given day.. WHAT will it take for VDOT to do something NOW...

Gotta Go Now, out of here and back to the farm. I want to check on her and everyone else there. Back later.. Keep her in your Prayers. I will update you all then.

Like the ones who tail you in Aldie when the speed limit is 25 and you're going 30?! omg...it's terrible.
    Exactly!!! We were turning off of Snickersville onto 50 this morning at around 4:00 a.m. (had just finished unloading around 700 bales of hay), and already, there were cars zipping along at well over the posted speed limit! I feel so bad for the people who live in Aldie right along that little stretch, because those drivers do...not...care. Unfortunately that little cop station up the road doesn't seem to do much to deter the bad drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Yes, WHAT is the deal with adding those round-abouts??? I was told that it's because they're building a shopping center or something on that corner. Is that true?!?
    Those roundabouts are a good thing. They are going to slow things down considerably while still keeping things moving. They're going to be a blessing. Can't wait for them to come in.

http://www.virginiadot.org/info/faq-roundabouts.asp

http://www.virginiadot.org/news/nort..._ground_on.asp

Unhappy

Wow--SO SORRY!!!
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Sympathies to Veronica and Godspeed her horse over the Bridge. How very senseless
    and tragic!

Those roundabouts are a good thing. They are going to slow things down considerably while still keeping things moving. They're going to be a blessing. Can't wait for them to come in.

http://www.virginiadot.org/info/faq-roundabouts.asp

http://www.virginiadot.org/news/nort..._ground_on.asp
    For drivers like you and I, for sure they will be a wonderful thing. But until they are there....the construction is gonna be hades! I pretty much have to cross the intersection any time I wanna go somewhere so I'm a bit bitter, but I have hopes that it helps out.

For drivers like you and I, for sure they will be a wonderful thing. But until they are there....the construction is gonna be hades! I pretty much have to cross the intersection any time I wanna go somewhere so I'm a bit bitter, but I have hopes that it helps out.
    Yeah, the construction will definitely suck. If you look at that map, though, eventually, if you are headed south on 15 from 50, you'll be able to skip Gilbert's Corner altogether on a new connector road being built from 50 to 15 around Watson Rd. It'll bypass some of that traffic off that strip.

I board near Gilbert's corner and heard about the accident on the radio leaving my barn this morning. So so sad. Many prayers and hugs to Veronica and her horse