The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

My condolences to all involved.

Just seeing this thread now - my deepest condolences to Veronica and her family. Trailer accidents have to be a horseman's worst nightmare - I've been through one and it was heart-wrenching, and took a long time to get over.

But, when they stick developments in on limited access highways, or almost-limited access (Beacon Hill on Rt. 7 anyone?) they should require the developer of that subdivision to put in an appropriate overpass with on/off ramps. Adding a light simply creates a clusterF*** for all who come from beyond the new housing developments.
    I board at Beacon Hill and you're right, if you're pulling out of the front entrance onto rte 7 between the hours of 3PM and about 8, car or trailer, you're taking your life into your hands. It is outrageous how fast and thick the traffic heading West on rte 7 can be at those times.

The saving grace for that farm is there is a back way, through the neighborhood and out onto rte 9, which is much safer, and that's the way all the trailers always take, no matter the time or day.
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Default How Sad

How sad I am so sorry for this poor woman and what she is going through

There was another fatal accident today right near the site of this one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines
    "All life is precious"
    Sophie Scholl

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    How sad I am so sorry for this poor woman and what she is going through

There was another fatal accident today right near the site of this one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines
    Yep! I was on my way to Middleburg this morning crossing over 50 and noticed that 15 was closed. I just shook my head....and said "Again?"
    Terrible.

***HUGS****

That poor poor girl. Please give her a big warm hug from Washington State.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyplace Farm View Post
    So, I drove that drive out to my barn this weekend. Could see exactly where the accident happened. And yes, that actually is on a curve and while not placing blame here, I expected to see a very long set of black skid marks on the road from the tractor trailer but did not. I did, however, see the tread of a tire lying in the grass so not sure if that came off the semi or not. Anyway, very scary.
    I don't know if you've gone that way recently Jana(it's Deb btw), But you can actually see the marks from where it happened I felt, and still feel, bad for Veronica. But she is trailering again which just proves how strong of a person she is.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by horsejumperlvr View Post
    I don't know if you've gone that way recently Jana(it's Deb btw), But you can actually see the marks from where it happened I felt, and still feel, bad for Veronica. But she is trailering again which just proves how strong of a person she is.
    Oh yeah -- I see those marks everytime I go to the barn.

Very good to hear she is back trailering. I'm sure it gives her 'pause' everytime she gets behind that wheel, though. It'd freak me out, for sure.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

I think since this accident I've heard of 3 different non-horse related accidents on that road. In fact there was a bad on on 15 just last Friday they had the road closed.
    Something has gotta be done about that road...I refuse to drive on it.

So deeply sorry for Veronica. My heart goes out to her and her family and all her horsey friends. What a tragic loss.

Unhappy Trailer hit?

You would think that the DOT would do something - particularly after all of these accidents! Do you think it would be possible to have them put in some "speedbumps" there? We live in NC and that has been done in several areas here. They have also put up crosswalk equine signs, as well as a flashing light before the equine facilities driveways in order to get people to slow down and notice that trailers may be pulling out. I don't know if the neighborhood has to have a petition drawn up or what - but surely something could be done. (Perhaps the farm owners may have to pay a monthly fee for the flashing light - like a "street light" in your backyard. ) It would be worth it! Good luck and let us know if there is anything any of us may do to help. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with everyone that was involved in this terrible tragedy!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think there needs to be some kind of discussion at the next meeting of the local government to address this. Pretty soon the development is going to start up again and believe me, it's going to get MUCH worse then with material delivery trucks and construction vehicles flying all over the place.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Default speedbumps?

i'm so sorry for the owner.
    but, do you guys really get speedbumps installed to slow down construction vehicles? my family is trying to get them installed on a residential street to slow down traffic heading the a train station (speed limit is 25 but you'd never know it if you were there at 7 a.m.). it seems to be a v. convoluted process to get the town to put in speedbumps.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Default Not a Local Government Problem

In the state of Virginia, the State is in charge of all road building, maintenance, etc., not the local government. I can pretty much guarantee that unless a developer includes a road improvement in his proffer to get a zoning approval, there is no money at the state level for improvements. Most of the state road money goes down state to build by-passes around Danville and Lynchberg.

Many, many prayers and hugs to the horse owner. I'm glad that she was ok, but my heart breaks for her!

Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Many Many jingles from NC. My deepest condolences to all parties involved.
    Dreaming in Color

You would think that the DOT would do something - particularly after all of these accidents! Do you think it would be possible to have them put in some "speedbumps" there?
    Rte. 15 is a major North/ South route. That is part of the problem. If you are driving from Maryland or north to anywhere in Virginia, you have to cross the Potomac River. West of Washington DC there are not a lot of crossings. There is the American Legion Bridge on the Beltway (I-495) and there is the bridge at Point of Rocks on Rte. 15. Nothing in between (except maybe White's Ferry: low, low volume). And you have to got to go a lot further west to find another bridge.

Even if you are in Virginia and not crossing the river, there aren't a lot of North/ South traffic corridors that go any real distance between I-81 and the Beltway. That's why I end up driving on Rte. 15 and that's why the trucks end up on Rte. 15.

The politics of roads and bridges between and within Maryland and Virginia makes it just about impossible to make any big improvements.

About the best thing you could do where that accident happened is clear some of the foliage back from the road. That would make the exit from that farm less blind.

I guess if enough of the folks in that area got petitions going and started contacting news and state representatives, and continued every week, every 2 weeks and made enough noise, you could at least start getting some attention to do SOMETHING in that particular area.
    Get insurance companies into the act too...

It's terribly sad when a horse dies... but it's worse when a human is seriously injured or dies.

If the farm has property that extends far enough along the highway, can they put up a flashing light that can be turned on when a rig is leaving and then turned off by farm workers after? I imagine it's not as dangerous turning into the farm so long as you come from a certain direction?

My heart goes out to those involved.

As I said in my previous post, what would help is a truck weigh station on 15, instead of the one that is West on 50, just half a mile away. Those guys have social hour most of the time, and occasionally get a truck passing thru. If it was moved, trucks on both 50 & 15 could be diverted to that weigh station, for no more personel costs. It truly needs to be moved anyway, as it is a total nightmare to try to pull away, westbound, crossing traffic, and not being able to see what is coming over the hill. When I have pulled in with my horse van, I am totally blind when I have to cross headon traffic and merge from the left. Stupid, stupid station.

The truckers are avoiding the 495/95 corridor. The weigh stations are where they get ticked for bad tires, brakes, proper cover, hours, defective equipment, lack of name on their truck, lack of medical card, etc, in addition to overloads. Truckers will do a lot to avoid a place they have to sit in front of a couple of State boys. They are also really trying to make up time for heading up 15. The truckers dont make a lot of money, and it is usually dependent on weight, and how fast they can deliver their load. They are usually private owned tractors, and maintenence (and tickets) are out of their pocket.

We will see what these roundabouts do. It is sad to wish for more heavy traffic congestion to slow people down.
    Last edited by Fairview Horse Center; Jul. 31, 2008 at 05:22 PM.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I was under the impression that the weigh station right down from the 15/50 intersection was inactive and has been for some time. I've not seen a single human being there lately. Just a few empty police cruisers.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

It has always been open rather sporadically. Not sure about the last few months. ??

Most of the time I found it open was middle of the day, during the week, but I have not passed it recently.