The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Just on noon news--horse trailer hit by semi on Rt. 15 near Gilbert's Corner

The showed footage (ugh) of the accident, and it looks like the semi broadsided (T-boned)the trailer (it was a large gooseneck stock-type trailer.) The reporter said the horse was killed, and indeed, the accident didn't look surviveable. Poor animal...

Has anyone else heard about this??
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

WHAT!?

No - I hadn't heard but if you learn anything more please post it.

I can just imagine at what speed the semi was traveling..... hard to believe that area used to be such a quiet country road. Not that long ago either.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Yes. Just got a call. My barn is across the street from them. They were pulling out of Peter's. Tractor trailer cut the trailer in 1/2. Horse stepped out and walked a few yards (looking fully unharmed) and just collapsed.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

How terrifying and awful. I am so sorry for all those involved. I can't wait to go hug my horse this afternoon.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

so sorry - for owner, for horse. My old stomping grounds.
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

OMG.

So the horse trailer rig pulled out in front of a semi? Is that a bad section of road visibility wise?

God, how sad.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    OMG.

So the horse trailer rig pulled out in front of a semi? Is that a bad section of road visibility wise?

God, how sad.
    I have never noticed feeling worried about the visibility on that stretch (although I have never pulled out of that specific driveway, so it may be worse than I realize), but there is a bit of a curve, and the trucks do go at least 55 regularly.

It's so hard...I mean, I can imagine how something like that happens...big rig is going a little too fast....horse trailer is just trying to pull out. By the time anyone sees each other one can't slow down fast enough and the other can't speed up.

Scares the heck out of me. I have hauled in/out of some areas that are kind of blind and have even gone so far as sending someone down the road on foot to get a good visual all clear. It's one of my biggest fears to be frank. About got nailed like that by a logging truck once.

I am so sorry to hear about this.

FYI...in case it seemed like it...I wasn't trying to point blame...was just trying to understand the area.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Geez. I just got back from the barn. . .any more news on this? What channel did you see it on?

IMO it's a clear stretch. There are a few curves, yah, but for the most part it's a pretty clear road.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Good Lord, just one more reason to HATE Rt. 15. I never use that road anymore, I live on the other side of Gilbert's Corner and I drive all the way through Middleburg and to Zula Rd. to get to Warrenton. There's too much construction on that road and too many tractor trailers and dump trucks for my liking....
    Much love to the owner and the horse. I'm so sorry to hear about this....

So sorry for horse and owner. I don't even like to drive my car on Rt. 15. Lots of aggressive driving and it can be so narrow.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I heard it on WTOP around 11 am or so. Just got home to see it (video from helicopter - nauseating view of truck slammed into front portion of 4 horse aluminum gooseneck, which crushed and flipped over on its side) at the noon news on channel 9. Nothing more. News is off, too, and tv's onto soaps. That's all we'll hear about it on tv. Somebody see if we know who is it.
    Peter's? Where is that??
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Thanks, Hunter's Rest. . .

Only thing I found on WTOP site is that there was a severe incident on 15 between New Road and Old Carolina Road.

Barn is on New Road. I have a bad feeling that the semi was the one I saw drive by the upper ring while I was riding. Rarely do I see semis on New Road. Just construction trucks.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

Anyone know where we can find news on this?

Omigosh, that's up in my old stomping grounds; I still know many, many people who ride and keep their horses in the area. How horrible. People fly up and down 15. I often felt I was taking my life in my hands pulling out onto that road. Any further news? Identification?

Poor horse, poor owner.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    I heard it on WTOP around 11 am or so. Just got home to see it (video from helicopter - nauseating view of truck slammed into front portion of 4 horse aluminum gooseneck, which crushed and flipped over on its side) at the noon news on channel 9. Nothing more. News is off, too, and tv's onto soaps. That's all we'll hear about it on tv. Somebody see if we know who is it.
    Peter's? Where is that??
    I know 'of' who it is. You can PM me if you like.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    OMG.

God, how sad.
    Visibility isn't bad but from what I understand, the semi was heading south -- there's a bit of an incline at that part and one might not be able to judge how fast another vehicle is coming.

so, so sorry.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Anyplace - can you PM me? I ship in for lessons with Peter as well. I'm freaking out about who it might be.

Thanks!

Well, I feel even more awful because I heard about it from my barn, who knew about it because they are across the street from each other. They called asking me if I knew the person and thought she used to train with someone I used to teach for. I called the person I used to teach for to find out if she had heard anything and it turns out, the client is still her client and she was on the scene when I called.

All I could say was, "OK, take care..." and had to let her go, obviously, given the circumstances.