The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff of a Spinoff--Top 5 things about Eventing

ON a positive side, Top 5 reasons you pay the ridiculas amounts of money you pay to be an event rider?

1) There is nothing better then galloping down to a big xc fence and hitting that perfect spot.

2) The atmosphere, gotta love a group of people who could figure out how to open a pop top beer with bailing twine.

3) The horses, ever time I watch UL horses go around it amazes me what these animals do for us, and becasue they love it

4) Dressage, OK sounds weird, but I like to be able to put my OCD side to good use

5) The smell at 5 am of clean shavings, horses, and hay. And it is only at the rediculas early time....

1. Winning (something, anything!)
    2. Hearing Bruce Davidson`s most recent, terrible joke
    3. Watching Mike Plumb laughing at 2, above, and almost falling down
    4. Coming through the finish flags, fast and clean
    5. Watching so many spectacular horses

1) XC - nothing like running and jumping with your best friend, as if you were one
    2) The people.. who cheer someone thru the maiden dressage test after they go off course and the judge comes out of the truck to explain.
    3) The horses.. just can't tell you how great all the horses are at all levels. Mine is the best and carts my a$$ around with no worries
    4) The Fun! - Everyone is having a good time and even when you crash and miss your course, everyone says - don't worry you'll get it next time!
    5) Can I repeat #1
    Horsemanship and the partnership, learn it, talk it, admire it, pass it on!
    "The Pony" Theodore O'Connor 1995-2008

1. The wicked friendly atmosphere and kindness of people at shows

2. Not having the newest or up-to-date look, and still be able to win

3. The Adreneline rush during cross country

4. Competeing alongside all levels of riders at the AEC's

5. Getting dressed up for the different phases, fancy and formal for dressage and SJ, and tough and ready looking for XC

next to the Devon H.S. & what was the Radnor Hunt 3 Day

-we should all feel truly grateful that we have found a sport where the strength, support and friendship goes far beyond that of any other. Although many of us are driven by our desire to compete, the friendship and caring are un-paralleled

-the wonderful adrenaline rush you get while out on x-c !

-seeing the great UL horse/rider combos cross the finish at some of the largest events in the world, still wanting more

-trotting up the center line, saluting and knowing you just nailed it!

-WINNING!
    "Lucky you to have ridden Kildonan Tug- Luckier you to have loved him"
    "Carrying you to prelim was the jewel in Tug's crown."
    "Great horses find you. You don't find them."

1. the feeling when you finish a good xc round
    2. seeing the look on the face of a YR when they finish a good xc round.
    3. the feeling I get when I get home and horse is happily tucked away (or turned out) after a good event
    4. feeling my horse looking for the next fence
    5. the feeling when I have finished dressage and NOT embarrassed myself (that one doesn't happen often!).
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

the full cooler at the end of a hot day and a great go... or a bad one. Both work.

There is no feeling like completing your first long format CCI.

I just have one to add, but it always made my heart go pitty pat when I'd see it...

After a phenomenal cross-country ride, you cool out your trusty steed, give him a nice hosing, handgraze as he dries, put up in nice puffy wraps for the night and finally allow him a moment to chill in his fluffy, recently rebedded stall and when you return...

Cross-country steed is soundly resting after the day's exertion, legs curled up underneath, with his muzzle resting comfortably in the snuggly bed. That sight alone is worth it all.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Default what a great thread!

1. the trust that develops between good horse/rider teams

2. the horses and their awesome (and unique!) personalities

3. the people.. who get back from their own xc ride and tell you what to look out for and wish you good luck!

4. the ability for ammys and pros to compete together

5. - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 Have a nice ride!!
    Jenny
    T3DE 2010 Pact
    Luck is the residue of design -Branch Rickey

Denny, gosh you're funny! Ever thought about writing a humorous eventing book? Seriously, it would sell like hotcakes.
    1. The people are genuine
    2. Everybody's accessible
    3. Having input in a sport I love
    4. Sense of humor
    5. X-C

1.) Riding and jumping XC!
    2.) learning about and riding Dressage
    3.) the friendly down to earth attitudes of most eventers!
    4.) no sitting around waiting...waiting ....waiting...like in H/J land!
    5.) the atmosphere, liveliness and constant action that goes along with Eventing.

my two faves:
    Partnership with your horse
    Good friends

1) the relationship you form with the horse you are competing. I'm pretty sure it's like nothing else in the world. Where you are just positive they are the best horse EVER and anyone who doesn't agree is just nuts or blind. Of course, the stud muffin IS the best horse ever and that's just a fact... ;-)

2) coming off a clean cross country run, even when it's slow, but you still just rocked it and your horse was like "Yes ma'am" at every decision you made. Best feeling in the WORLD

3) getting a greenie around for the first time at the lower levels when they are JUST starting to figure out what it's all about, when you have to ride the daylights out of the first few fences but then they get in the swing of it and by the end they think they are IT

4) the fact that you can buy something cheap and young and train it yourself and still do really well, and that is for the most part what you see. As we like to say at Third Charm, adapted from something Nina Fout says, "Winners aren't bought, they're made"

5) the people. While there are some stuck up, less than friendly people for the most part eventers are really nice and good horse people and really supportive of each other, and while there a few bad eggs, I'm am usually very proud to be a part of this sport
    "Real magic can never be made by offering someone else's liver. You must tear out your own, and not expect to get it back. The true witches know that." ~ Peter S. Beagle

1) The adrenaline!
    2) The comraderie and positive environments of all competitions
    3) The incredible relationship with your horse
    4) The 6th sense you develop - why your horse is looking at your cross-eyed, noticing a vein that is pumping a little too hard below the knee on the inside of the front leg, knowing when things just-aren't-right and calling it a day.
    5) Being poor and tired keeps me out of trouble (kinda)

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    I just have one to add, but it always made my heart go pitty pat when I'd see it...

After a phenomenal cross-country ride, you cool out your trusty steed, give him a nice hosing, handgraze as he dries, put up in nice puffy wraps for the night and finally allow him a moment to chill in his fluffy, recently rebedded stall and when you return...

Cross-country steed is soundly resting after the day's exertion, legs curled up underneath, with his muzzle resting comfortably in the snuggly bed. That sight alone is worth it all.
    I love that too!!! Except my horse is laying flat on his side, legs sticking straight out, drooling, and snoring . Guess he is relaxed?

I have too many things to list. The people, cross country, stadium, I even like dressage! A lot of times even if you have a bad weekend there is usually at least a couple of things you learned about yourself or your horse. And I am not going to lie...being in the ribbons is a nice added bonus. It is not necessarily the ribbon but just the actual achievement to me. I like seeing all the 0s for XC and stadium on the scoreboard next to my horse's name. However, some of my best events were just accomplishing a couple of goals that I set even though I placed almost last those times...finally going clear albeit with many time faults on cross country at Novice last fall was a very good feeling.
    T3DE Pact

Quote Originally Posted by Sightunseen View Post
    ON a positive side, Top 5 reasons you pay the ridiculas amounts of money you pay to be an event rider?

1) There is nothing better then galloping down to a big xc fence and hitting that perfect spot.
    HA--I actually got goosebumps when I read that!! Thanks!

*my horse locking on to the next element
    *little kids on their saint ponies cantering around a elem. course
    *the smoothie lady(and the fact she always stays till the end of the day!)
    *splashing through the water
    *no matter what happens in dressage, the scoreboard can look a whole lot different after everyone runs x-c!
    "Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

1. The long hours of currying, brushing, mucking stalls, picking hooves, bathing, rinsing and scrubbing water buckets that allow my horse to understand I really care about him and his well-being such that he puts great trust in me, combined with the long hours of practice, practice, practice, galloping trail rides and camping trips that allow for #2-4.

2. The perfect halt on X--all square, all stopped, no resistance, (so far, at home, but coming soon to competition) perfect full, long, white tail just brushing the ground.

3. Walking into Stadium, and having your horse look around at the jumps, eying them because he is smart and knows what is going to come next; and ultimately, jumping a clean round in stadium;

4. The best feeling I have felt in a long time, the feeling experienced on XC in our very first horse trial when my horse looked from Fence 1 to Fence 2, and I felt him “lock on”, and after Fence 2, look for Fence 3, and when I showed it to him, felt him “lock on” again, and then I knew that we are a team doing something we love to do; and

5. The people I’m meeting as I start out in my first year of this sport.
    T3DE 2010 Pact Group
    Barefoot Eventers Clique
    http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2lkxcbn110.jpg

Here's mine....

1. The People - Eventers on the whole are friendly and helpful - I've seen it time and time again be it at a show or at your home farm - if you need a hand, you get four or five!! We cheer each other on, we rush to each other's aid, we raise money for the injured or victims of disaster, our BNT are approachable and helpful, we love our friends, sport and horses and it shows!

2. Level of horse care - I truly believe that event horses are some of the best cared for, best conditioned, healthiest horse around. I base that partially on working for several farms, be it BNTs or Novices, they have just been trained to properly care for their horses. I also base it partially on the fact that in about 14 years of volunteering at a rescue organization and meeting abused/neglected dressage horses, backyard horses, hunters, jumpers, racers... I cannot remember us ever having to rescue and rehabilitate a farm of event horses - as a matter of fact, I can't think of one event horse who came through the rescue. I'm not saying it isn't out there, I just don't think it is common.

3. Well rounded education for the horse - put eventing basics on a young horse and take it to a couple of BN/N events and you've got a horse who can do anything! It has great exposure to strange new places and happenings, it has begun to learn to balance and carry itself and is ready to go on to be a dressage horse, jumper, hack horse, or continue on as an eventer. I think it is the best education you can give a horse to prepare him for LIFE.

4. Well rounded education for the rider - I was taught to ride as an adult by a eventer BNT, and she took my education seriously! I was taught to be safe first, fancy second. I was taught suppling exercises in the arena, how to gallop in control, how to balance myself and my horse on all types of footing and terrain, how to jump a fence or a fallen tree blocking my path, how to strengthen a horse, all aspects of horse care and I was encouraged to ride different horses to broaden my understanding and skill. I went to my trainer because I wanted so badly to ride my rescued horse, and she taught me how to ride any horse in any circumstance.

5. A true 'any' horse sport - any horse can join this sport, and is honestly welcomed... at almost any event, you can find any combination of the following: ponies, draft horses or crosses, young/old horses (and riders for that matter), Paints, Apps, all colors and breeds... and where would all the racetrack rejects go if it weren't for eventing??!!

OK after reading these things I thought of some more:

It OK to start drinking at 10 am as long as your done for the day

My Tb that looks like an Appy may be odd colored, but the judges cannot/will not be biased because of that

The breakfast burritos....in my area they are AMAZING!!

The Keg after xc at the competitors party....with beer pong....

UL event riders...The most funny people you will ever meet, especially if you can get them drunk!