The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    I hope to tell I never have to go through those times again now because the stakes are a lot higher with 2 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a guinea pig, a husband, and my own child. Even lately with my vet bills and truck transmission going on me I have had to go back to a lot of my money saving ways to scrape a buck here and a buck there for those bills. Probably a good thing in the long run as I had gotten a bit soft and spoiled.
    It's the hard times that make the good times that much better! NO?

Terrible when you're going through them but when things are good you really appreciate it all that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    And this guy's offering moral guidance to other people.
    Seriously!
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Oh lunch - quick post....

Some one asked how does it make this "Woodland's problem other than a phone call...." Well let me tell you how it becomes MY problem - When I have to answer a humane call this winter about 5 or 6 starving horses no one could afford to care for, no one can handle, no one can sell, and no one would call the knackers for. THAT is how it WILL be MY problem in about 5 - 7 months. Sure enough I have seen it SO many times before - Let'em starve, but for God's sake don't call the meat guy Too cheap to put them down, too inept to train them, to careless to stop breeding, to stupid to be responsible -

OMG My blood just boils when I think of how these animals are made to suffer for their owners idiocy!!!!

OK I have to return to my Horsemanship Day Campers - what wonderful blessings they are
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Oh lunch - quick post....

Some one asked how does it make this "Woodland's problem other than a phone call...." Well let me tell you how it becomes MY problem - When I have to answer a humane call this winter about 5 or 6 starving horses no one could afford to care for, no one can handle, no one can sell, and no one would call the knackers for. THAT is how it WILL be MY problem in about 5 - 7 months. Sure enough I have seen it SO many times before - Let'em starve, but for God's sake don't call the meat guy Too cheap to put them down, too inept to train them, to careless to stop breeding, to stupid to be responsible -

OMG My blood just boils when I think of how these animals are made to suffer for their owners idiocy!!!!

OK I have to return to my Horsemanship Day Campers - what wonderful blessings they are

I think it was my quote you caught...and what I was trying to say was this is their problem, they made the problem and then got mad at you for not fixing it for them. You didn't make the problem.... and yet they are mad at you? Not fair for you (or the horses)
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Default Quote of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Over-population is a sexually transmitted disease.
    I'm going to have to remember this!

I have gotten several calls from people wanting me the help them unload 2 horses and three cats. All different people, all within a week.

I wake up half expecting to see an animal on my front doorstep or in my barn, which has happened before (with a tiny, tiny kitten. We kept him).

Anyway, when I say I can't help them, they act disappointed in ME, then put on a full court press to change my mind.

My reaction to all of them was, either find them a good home or euthanize them. Then it's "I can't believe you'd say that - I thought you were an animal LOVER!!!" when I say euthanize. I've had enough.

We need a spinoff of the FHOTD website, where the "H" is for "human"!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    We need a spinoff of the FHOTD website, where the "H" is for "human"!
    But then we wouldn't be able to post about it here becuase it won't be horse related.
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by Posting Trot View Post
    TidyR: The people in the NYTimes story had often lost their houses to foreclosure and some were living in their cars.

See the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/us...us&oref=slogin

Again, I'm not saying that it's alright when people breed horses indiscriminately and don't train them, but this mostly becomes a broader problem when they don't have the money to keep them any longer.
    And they had NOOOO idea that their house might get foreclosed? Nooo idea they had missed payments or their payment had reset at an amount they could not afford? Never made a movement to contact the bank and negotiate?
    One day people just showed up and removed their stuff and changed the locks without a SINGLE warning?
    No, I am sorry -it takes quite a while of non-payments to get foreclosed and I am pretty certain the bank has to be in contact with you about it before they come and remove you.
    *eyeroll*

Did many banks bring this all on with unethical behavior? Sure, and I was glad to hear of 2 states suing Countrywide over it yesterday on NPR. BUT I am responsible for me, my kid and my animals. I am certain when/if finances started to get tight I would realize it and do something -like get more hours at work, a second job, reduce spending or start rehoming my animals. They key being to be proactive rather than wait until you are out of your home to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Are you kidding? I would eat P&J sandwichs and rice all the time, and share it with my dog, before I took it to a shelter. That's a pitiful excuse. Even the poorest of peeps can feed their dogs off of table scraps and leftovers.
    Welcome to not truly understanding what poverty is.

Dogs can't survive on PB&J, and if you're getting food from a food bank they aren't giving you alpo, and they might be giving you barely enough to feed your kids.

Did you know there are people who go to bed hungry every night in this country?

This really isn't a slaughter or euthanasia thread, but on one of those some brought up the 'travelling knacker' idea.

An alarmingly large percentage of people can be expected to behave stupidly and get animals that they cannot keep. Too many for them all to be re-homed (I think this is a sad fact). Thus, some of them must be humanely destroyed.

When it comes to dogs/cats, we seem to have figured out that it is bad for the animal if we make the stupidly behaving owner feel so bad about what they must do that they just keep starving the animals. We have done a lot to sanitize the shelter drop-off, and people can leave feeling that their (special ) pet will doubtless go to a nice new home if they need to.
    The people that work in shelters do what is possible to make the best of things for the pet (even if this is 'sheperding them to the bridge').

Unfortunately, with horses there is no such option. Yes there are a few rescues, but there are even fewer rescue spots for horses than no-kill shelter spots for cats/dogs, and they have enough on their plates with the criminal cases.

When I give money to support the county animal control facility, I know that some of that funding goes to euthanasia, and I'm perfectly happy about it.

Especially given the slaughter restrictions, isn't it time for a charitable horse euthanasia option (like the traveling knacker)? --before someone goes into semantics, I'm using euthanasia in the broadest end of life sense; I don't want to get started on methods and post-handling; justthinking that it would be good for these people to have somewhere BESIDES New Holland to send the horse so they will send it somewhere instead of starving them.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post

Did many banks bring this all on with unethical behavior? Sure, and I was glad to hear of 2 states suing Countrywide over it yesterday on NPR. BUT I am responsible for me, my kid and my animals. I am certain when/if finances started to get tight I would realize it and do something -like get more hours at work, a second job, reduce spending or start rehoming my animals. They key being to be proactive rather than wait until you are out of your home to do something.
    The problem with a poor economy is that there is no second job and there are no other homes for the animals.

But there's also the issue that a lot of the time, people caught in these situations don't have the coping ability that you and I have. Even if they WANT to take responsibility for themselves, they don't always know how to solve their problems. This is what got a lot of people into houses they can't afford in the first place (failure to understand the burden of a large mortgage, the issue of adjustable interest rates, etc).

People aren't born with equal problem-solving ability, and they aren't born into environments that give them equal opportunity to learn self-help skills. It is sad but true. Not saying that we need to take on the responsibility of caring for them, but I don't think they choose to be in that situation, I think they make poor choices because they don't know any better.

And they had NOOOO idea that their house might get foreclosed? Nooo idea they had missed payments or their payment had reset at an amount they could not afford? Never made a movement to contact the bank and negotiate?
    One day people just showed up and removed their stuff and changed the locks without a SINGLE warning?
    No, I am sorry -it takes quite a while of non-payments to get foreclosed and I am pretty certain the bank has to be in contact with you about it before they come and remove you.
    If you read the article in the NYT this morning, the first dog mentioned is pregnant and about to be tossed out. Dogs are not horses: gestation is only 63 days on average. This owner had to know that she was going to be in dire straits and STILL bred her bitch.

That entire article had me annoyed but that was about the worst of it.

I am getting those calls and e-mails now also:

---"I was wondering if you know someone that could use a 20 some year old registered quarter horse she is in very good health.
    She is kid proof and has done numerous parades and barrel racing in her younger days. I would love to see her go to a ranch where she could finish her life on pasture. Don’t get me wrong she is a very nice horse but she is old she looks good for her age she impresses me with her age and how she rides and behaves she can be onry sometimes you just have to make
    her mind. She is a granddaughter to ..."---

Everyone that has a horse they are not using any more, too young and not started, too old or whatever, they want to get rid of it.
    There is no market now for those horses any more and many are just not suitable for someone's project horse, that will eventually find a useful life somewhere else with someone else.

People are having to cut down and find out that many of their horses they can't support any more are not of any value, or placeable even if given away.
    Rescues are full and even thru those, you never know any more...

BUT, the banks were following legislation that was passed demanding that they allow higher risk people to be given loans, therefore they are riskier loans because the banks have to cover their .... too. This legislation was passed by the same people in the senate who are now calling it predatory lending Again...personal responsibility... if you can't pay it, don't get the loan, but these are the same people abandoning their fugly ponies, puppies and kitties everywhere... and probably popping out a bazillion kids.

Default Ambrey - good posts!

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Several people who say that they would "never" take their dog, cat, horse - whatever, to the pound, have no idea what truly not being able to feed yourself, or your kids are, let alone your animal, who unfortunately will come bottom of the heap if you are truly in that situation. Likewise, people are not always born with great logic or problem-solving abilities. My father is extremely non tolerant of people that will not stand up for themselves, as he has no clue about what being pushed down and down again and again does for you, takes away any ability you have anymore to believe in yourself or your abilities. Arguing with him about this is a waste of time, because like many people, he will just never understand WHY people just don't take command of their lives.

Anyway, yours posts were good.

Quote Originally Posted by LessonLearned View Post
    I am a college prof. Each semester I start on day one trying to combat "Specialitis" with the hope that I may make a small dent in future generations. I start the class with my patented "You Are Not Special" speech.
    And if you were my professor, I would stand and applaud you. I'm not a traditional student (young), so I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Last weekend my friend woke to the sounds of her dogs going ballistic. There were three stray horses in her yard. Very long story short, she went through hell to get help from local authorities and the owners, who live around the corner, were not looking for them. All the horses needed medical attention.

Here's the story: http://fox17.trb.com/. I believe you have to scroll down to the "Neglected Horses" video. Of course the broadcast "news" did not get but half of the story aired, but that's a whole other topic. The reporter did say, "At this time the owners are unknown." Which was untrue, but because our A-Hole prosecutor decided not to press charges, there was probably a liability issue with naming the owners. The pictures do not do the situation justice. I saw the horses and while I've seen worse neglect cases, this was at that point of spiraling out of control.

Once the sheriff deputy arrived to see the horses he told my friend that he knew who they belonged to and that there were complaints logged already AND the people have had two horses already taken due to extreme malnutrition.

Like many people on here, every time I turn around someone is trying to give me a horse, a cat, a dog. It pains my heart, but I have only what I can afford

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Welcome to not truly understanding what poverty is.

Dogs can't survive on PB&J, and if you're getting food from a food bank they aren't giving you alpo, and they might be giving you barely enough to feed your kids.

Did you know there are people who go to bed hungry every night in this country?
    Um, there are millions of dogs in the world that survive on garbage. Not a nice life, but this whole fancy-kibble thing is a very recent invention. For that matter the world is full of people scrounging for scraps. It's not as extreme in the US now, but if the economy gets worse we will see more of that again.

And regarding not seeing the foreclosure or other financial disaster coming, it's called hope, aka denial!

I for one would be willing to go to bed hungry if it meant I got to keep my dog. I can't imagine surrendering her to a shelter. I could scrounge food for her. I could and I would.

She doesn't NEED the fancy 40 dollar a bag food she gets. If it came down to taking her to a shelter OR letting her eat pb&j and catfood for a week or two or four, that's what we would do, both her and I together. I am quite sure the change in her diet would bother me more than it would bother her.

Where there is a will, there is a way. I believe that wholeheartedly. I also believe that 99% of people in "dire straits" haven't exhausted all of their options. They give up too easily, or they just leave their heads in the sand until it's too late. And how many of them smoke and/or drink? Do pack-a-day smokers realize they can save $150/month by quitting? That's about 2 weeks' worth of groceries for a family of 4.

I agree with Angela Freda. There is LOTS of advance notice on a foreclosure. LOTS. Plenty of time to call every friend, family member, neighbor, church member, and acquaintance to see who might be able to take your animal(s). And if you're unemployed to boot, you've got all the time in the world...at least 8 hours a day...to devote to the search for A. housing that allows pets, B. someone who will adopt your pet, C. an opening at a no-kill rescue/shelter, or D. an animal welfare organization that will give you some pet food to help you get by.

Some people truly are destitute in spite of their best efforts, and that's a terrible shame. But I've seen people (especially horse people) claim they "can't afford" to care for an animal anymore, even though they drive a new BMW, wear $100 jeans, carry $500 purses, and always have a fresh manicure. I've listened to people whine that they "can't afford" their old/lame horse anymore, while their new show horse is boarded at a barn that charges over $1K a month...and when I suggest moving both horses to cheaper accomodations? "Oh no, Mr. Fancy NEEDS to stay with BNT!"

It's a lack of ability to prioritize needs and wants that, IMO, often leads to pet/horse abandonment. The living beings in your care SHOULD be high on the list of priorities, but often wind up being second to unnecessary material posessions.