The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Alas, most of the folks that walk in my door wanting to apply for a job never got the "I'm not special/It's NOT all about me" speech from anybody... but especially from mom and dad where it MUST START (when a dad is in the picture, of course ).

Consequently whenever I have to discipline an employee, I use two words AD NAUSEUM....You Chose! "You chose to come to work late." "You chose to ignore policy" "You chose to come to work looking like something the cat drug in."

Same with the riff-raff callers to poor Woodland. They CHOSE to acquire horses without knowledge. They CHOSE to put a stallion in with mares. etc etc etc.... Blech

So next time they (meaning anyone like "that") call you Woodland, I'd say: Sorry. You chose to do ABCDEFG.... I'm choosing to say No."
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I think this has more to do with a lousy economy than with anything else. You can rail about other people's morals all you want, but it is way easier to act morally if you have money.

There was a long (and heart-breaking) story in the NY Times today about families in the Atlanta area, Florida and elsewhere having to drop family pets, especially big dogs, off at shelters because they no longer have the money to take care of them.

OK, so off the soapbox now. As to the OP's original issue.

Yes, I agree it's bad that someone has been breeding horses and then basically letting them run wild in the pasture, and now gets upset when you tell her that the horses cannot be sold. You did the right thing by leveling with her.

And yes, I know that if the OP's caller had enough money that wouldn't mean that she would have taken the time to train her horses. But she would have more options, such as just keeping the horses herself, untrained as they are, or possibly trying to hire a trainer to break the younger ones and make them salvageable.

And good luck to those of you who think you could go on welfare and survive, much less maintain your current lifestyle. Give it a shot. (Sorry, this was a soapbox moment as well).
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Same thing with the woman 3 doors down from me. Had a mare, got it pregnant by some grade horse that someone forgot to geld. Mare had a colt, never bothered weaning it - literally! Borrowed another "pretty palaminer" stallion, which apparently was 5 but was so thin and underfed it looked about 2, now she has the mare, the 2 yo colt whcih has never been handled but is still running with his mama, and the smallest, thinnest, little palamino filly in one field. I have called AC twice as these horses are in dismal shape, but nope, nothing changes. 3 horses, all completely fugly, in poor shape, and no doubt mama is preggers again by her son.

Quote Originally Posted by Posting Trot View Post

There was a long (and heart-breaking) story in the NY Times today about families in the Atlanta area, Florida and elsewhere having to drop family pets, especially big dogs, off at shelters because they no longer have the money to take care of them.
    Are you kidding? I would eat P&J sandwichs and rice all the time, and share it with my dog, before I took it to a shelter. That's a pitiful excuse. Even the poorest of peeps can feed their dogs off of table scraps and leftovers.

I think this has more to do with a lousy economy than with anything else. You can rail about other people's morals all you want, but it is way easier to act morally if you have money.
    Okay...so you're saying that it's OK for people to act the way they do because they don't have money?! I guess I don't understand what you're trying to say with this statement. Morals ISN'T a money thing!!!!!! Either you have them or you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, someone making excuses.
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

You can rail about other people's morals all you want, but it is way easier to act morally if you have money.
    Truer words. There are people who deserve the aprobation of this thread b/c they are shiftless bastards, but there are people who end up with the same circumstances, animals in the same mess, who just made mistakes. The second group aren't idiots, aren't evil, aren't lazy or bad or reckless, they just got squeezed by a decision or set of decisions that didn't work out and they didn't have the money to rescue the situation. And everyone on this thread could end up in that group. Having morals and common sense and a sense of personal responsibilty is great, but none of it is a safeguard against tragedy and bad luck.

I like my soapbox and it's cozy and I've built a little cup-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Are you kidding? I would eat P&J sandwichs and rice all the time, and share it with my dog, before I took it to a shelter. That's a pitiful excuse. Even the poorest of peeps can feed their dogs off of table scraps and leftovers.
    Been here. Done that. At one point in my life I was really, really broke. I had my dog and two cats at the time. Poor dog got cut back from Iams Lamb and Rice to store brand Lamb and Rice. When the pinch got even tighter and I didn't have money to buy another bag of dog food between paychecks she ate up the rest of her dog biscuit treats for dinner. Was it the best dog food choice? Probably not, but she didn't seem to mind getting 15 biscuits for dinner. She also tolerated eating free sample bags for a week one time too. The rest of the time their food bowl was full and my dinners were pasta every night or a box of Mac N' Cheese when it was 25 cents.

During that time I also discovered that sawdust makes a great kitty litter too. I was renting a farmhouse and everyday the bedding tractor would spill a bit of sawdust in the driveway by my house on property. I would throw yesterday's sawdust in the barn aisle to get scraped up and scoop up the little pile that fell in the driveway. There was no way the farmer would ever go back to scoop up what amounted to 3" of sawdust in a kitty litter pan, but it saved me a lot of money instead of buying kitty litter. The key was just to pitch it everyday to avoid it getting funky.

I hope to tell I never have to go through those times again now because the stakes are a lot higher with 2 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats, a guinea pig, a husband, and my own child. Even lately with my vet bills and truck transmission going on me I have had to go back to a lot of my money saving ways to scrape a buck here and a buck there for those bills. Probably a good thing in the long run as I had gotten a bit soft and spoiled.

TidyR: The people in the NYTimes story had often lost their houses to foreclosure and some were living in their cars.

See the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/us...us&oref=slogin

Again, I'm not saying that it's alright when people breed horses indiscriminately and don't train them, but this mostly becomes a broader problem when they don't have the money to keep them any longer.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

I don't think it's whether you have money or not that makes these choices. It is how you are brought up and if you have less money then hopefully you've been taught to budget. Everyone should keep a budget no matter how much money they have or don't have. I remember a case in Florida where these starving horses were taken from a family that could not feed them but it turned out the wife was getting her nails and hair done every week and they were purchasing plenty of toys for the grandchildren so it seems that they made their choice with their money and sacrificed the well being of their horses. Those are the people that should not have four-legged children and what a bad learning lesson they were passing on to their own grown children and grand children. It's okay to sacrifice the animals for your own self indulgence? Another bad excuse. At first you felt sorry thinking maybe they were in over their heads with a tight retirement budget or unexpected health issue and then you hear on the news the rest of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Please! Send me a copy of the speech!
    I know exactly what you are talking about...
    Ghazzu:

Just this morning I found where I had printed your item from last year...something like being sorry the animal is owned by a jerk but not being able to stop a jerk from having animals....
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

TidyR: The people in the NYTimes story had often lost their houses to foreclosure and some were living in their cars.

See the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/us...us&oref=slogin

Again, I'm not saying that it's alright when people breed horses indiscriminately and don't train them, but this mostly becomes a broader problem when they don't have the money to keep them any longer.
    You know, I understand that some people legitimately have a problem. It has always been so. My issue with Woodland's people is they got mad at HER for not fixing THEIR problem. THEY created it. What made it HER problem except for their phone call?

I had a conversation on Tuesday with a church pastor who told me that he has a 30+ year old horse who has been steadily dropping weight. I told him that he needed to get a vet out to eval the horse and see what the best option is for the old guy....may just need some medical attention (which hasn't happened in years), or it may be nearing time for a humane ending. When I mentioned the vet, he cringed, and said that the last time he had the vet out several years ago, it was $100.....he clearly didn't want to spend the money. Then he asked me about how you horse down, and I explained that the vet comes out, administers the injection, and he'll need the backhoe guy. He asked me how much all of this costs, and I told him that when all was said and done, probably several hundred dollars, but that this is right thing to do for his old friend when the time comes. He proceeds to ask me if there is a GLUE FACTORY or a place that will take him so he doesn't have to spend the money on euthanasia! I was horrified. I told him that no, the glue factory won't come pick up your horse, but you can always sell him for pennies at the local sale, where the meat man will buy him, truck him to Mexico, and provided that he even survives the trip, he'll be killed with a captive bolt to the brain which may or may not work the first time. My tone of voice at that time clearly conveyed how horrified I was at his lack of compassion for this old horse, so I hope I made an impression and he will do the right thing. I plan to regularly ask him how the horse is doing so maybe that will spur him into proper action.

Some people....

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    I last time he had the vet out several years ago, it was $100.....He proceeds to ask me if there is a GLUE FACTORY or a place that will take him so he doesn't have to spend the money on euthanasia!
    Some people....
    *head desk!*

I had a conversation on Tuesday with a church pastor who told me that he has a 30+ year old horse who has been steadily dropping weight. I told him that he needed to get a vet out to eval the horse and see what the best option is for the old guy....may just need some medical attention (which hasn't happened in years), or it may be nearing time for a humane ending. When I mentioned the vet, he cringed, and said that the last time he had the vet out several years ago, it was $100.....he clearly didn't want to spend the money. Then he asked me about how you horse down, and I explained that the vet comes out, administers the injection, and he'll need the backhoe guy. He asked me how much all of this costs, and I told him that when all was said and done, probably several hundred dollars, but that this is right thing to do for his old friend when the time comes. He proceeds to ask me if there is a GLUE FACTORY or a place that will take him so he doesn't have to spend the money on euthanasia! I was horrified. I told him that no, the glue factory won't come pick up your horse, but you can always sell him for pennies at the local sale, where the meat man will buy him, truck him to Mexico, and provided that he even survives the trip, he'll be killed with a captive bolt to the brain which may or may not work the first time. My tone of voice at that time clearly conveyed how horrified I was at his lack of compassion for this old horse, so I hope I made an impression and he will do the right thing. I plan to regularly ask him how the horse is doing so maybe that will spur him into proper action.

Some people....
    Poor old fella. I hope the pastor does the right thing. Keep us updated on this, flypony.
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

Well, you know what I would like to do with these people, since they cannot be edumacated. And it involves an electric cattle prod. And a baseball bat.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    Please! Send me a copy of the speech!
    I know exactly what you are talking about...
    Oh I could have used that 5-7 years ago as a TA. Kids who refused to turn in anything on time. OR who used 3' margins and 36 point font thinking that they could make 3 sentences look like a 3 page paper. I'm NOT that stupid...

I would fail them, but then the professor who I TA'ed for would give them passing grades so he didn't have to deal with them or their parents. Seriously. I got my degrees and ran away from academia. Of course, I ran into rescue... and look what I deal with now!

I'm not surprised at those people. We have people calling us with similar stuff. Granted, we're a rescue and everyone seems to think we should be their dumping ground. We had someone call a year ago wanting us to take 20-30 horses. Her entire herd. Because she was getting evicted. But she had never touched a single horse and they had just been running wild and breeding as they would. And she told us another rescue came out to get them, but she made them leave because they were scaring the horses too much. Now, pray tell, how does one catch and load absolutely wild horses without a little stress? You don't.

And then there was the mini person with over 100 minis running in their own harems. We tried to help her sell some to get down to a reasonable number, but she raised the price each time someone called and offered to buy one. Who wants to pay $500 for an unregistered mini who has never been touched, had no vaccinations, no coggins, no farrier work - and you have to bring your own panels and all to catch them because she won't. Oh you don't want to pay $500? Ok, next time she'll ask for $1,000!

It IS too early in the morning. And I think I have broken my foot. I'm real cranky, can ya tell?
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Some people....
    And this guy's offering moral guidance to other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

Quote Originally Posted by riverbell93 View Post
    a[p]probation
    I do not think that word means what you think it means...

I like my soapbox and it's cozy and I've built a little cup-holder.
    Hee!

I don't know what to say about this seriously...I mean, clearly the people who called Woodland are asshats. Clearly they should not own animals.

At the same time, having money does insulate you; there are plenty of people whose horsekeeping skills (or lack thereof) would be roundly decried on this board if they suddenly had their incomes cut in half. Not everyone is like TidyRabbit (or me, or a number of other posters here) who would survive on pb&j and marked-down pasta if that's what it took to feed the critters, but you don't know as long as those people have money. People who take care of their animals when they can afford to, and don't when they can't, are only outed when they're financially squeezed. So that gives an opening for the kind of hysterical class hatred we see here, even though many poor people are NOT like that.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apparently you can’t set the bar too low for people to crawl underneath.

flypony74

I plan to regularly ask him how the horse is doing so maybe that will spur him into proper action.
    When you do this remind this pastor that in Proverbs 12:10 it says that ...
    A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal, But even the compassion of the wicked is cruel.

I like the word righteous, it can be very convicting for some people. Let's hope you can convict him to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tnscvaga View Post
    flypony74

When you do this remind this pastor that in Proverbs 12:10 it says that ...
    A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal, But even the compassion of the wicked is cruel.

I like the word righteous, it can be very convicting for some people. Let's hope you can convict him to do the right thing.
    Also remind him that he was entrusted with this horse by God and will be held accountable for being a good steward of said horse.... up to and including allowing a peaceful, painfree passing.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.