The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

[edit]

Plus there most current ad states they are downsizing and have ponies advertised at $6500. This ad doesnt have reference to Bay Ridge Farm but just has the same phone number. Seems they dont want people to know its them.

If I were the owners of Bedazzled I wouldnt be happy with all of this at all!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jul. 15, 2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: pony specifics

I don't think that at this rate you are ever going to have to worry about being the owner of Bedazzled

You never know. If he is in a sale barn that is downsizing in an economy where pony sales are flat, you never know. Stranger things have happened.

So what did you offer? [edit] It is extremely apparent that you are trying to find a bargain. Is it just that your kid needs a pony that's made? Has she even ridden the pony? Why the fuss when she may not even get along with it? Why would you make offers when you don't even know if your child can manage this pony? Terribly sorry, but you've really rattled the cage in the lion's den here at COTH. I agree you will never own this pony, unless you "pony up" the cold hard cash. Trying to run around the person that's brokering the pony is foolish. He's a valuable animal in the worst market. And now you've pissed them off. Way to go. Especially if you actually have the bank to pull this off, which I don't think you do. You'd be better off to leave this public tirade alone.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jul. 15, 2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: pricing specifics

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I don't think that at this rate you are ever going to have to worry about being the owner of Bedazzled
    Hehehehe

Beating a dead horse on a public board probably won't get you anywhere. I understand wanting to contact the owner directly, but when the trainer came on here and even TOLD you what the owner said, I'd consider it over. You can't MAKE them sell you the pony... And even if the economy is bad, I seriously dobt the kind of people that are going to pay 6 figs for a pony are going to be affected too much.

In fact, Charlotte is one of the areas in the country that isn't being hit AS HARD (yes, still affected) as the rest of the country. I just read an article about how real estate is beginning to turn around there, and most of the banks that are there are still taking care of their own.

(did I use the right effect/affect? hmmm)
    Click here to feed a rescued animal for free!

Sponsors feed rescued animals for every free click!

I actually wanted my daughter to try him but the pony was never tried by anyone that anyone knows of. The whole thing is very strange as I am not the only one who was interested and had this experience. Others have Pm'd me with similiar stories. I offered a very hefty sum to lease him, upon my trainers suggestion, to see if it was a good fit. I would have even offered a sum to try him for a week as I know is common practice. I do have the funds to purchase him if it were a match but the sale barn/trainer has disappeared off the face of the earth and so has he. I am not looking for a bargain but for the right pony for my daughter. We have tried a handful of ponies and are continuing our search. All of the ponies we have tried have been in the 6 figures. We are going to pony finals with our trainer and are going to continue our search there. There are many ponies on the market and not many buyers and we have our pick at this point and the trainers know it even at that price. I am determined to find out where he ends up (no where thus far even though he is supposedly a FABULOUS pony who even in the worst markets would sell) as the whole situation seems fishy. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth and I am not known to sit back and not open my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_M View Post
    Hehehehe

Beating a dead horse on a public board probably won't get you anywhere. I understand wanting to contact the owner directly, but when the trainer came on here and even TOLD you what the owner said, I'd consider it over. You can't MAKE them sell you the pony... And even if the economy is bad, I seriously dobt the kind of people that are going to pay 6 figs for a pony are going to be affected too much.

In fact, Charlotte is one of the areas in the country that isn't being hit AS HARD (yes, still affected) as the rest of the country. I just read an article about how real estate is beginning to turn around there, and most of the banks that are there are still taking care of their own.

(did I use the right effect/affect? hmmm)
    I am not trying to beat a dead horse. I am making a point. The trainer is actually just the trainer of the sale barn he was placed at. Since I started my pony search I have learned to question things. Why is such an expensive pony at a sale barn? Most of the ponies I have tried have been with their owners continuing to show and are represented by the riders trainers? He has been on the market for some time and not sold. He is from the south and was placed at an upstate NY sale barn? If Charlotte has not been hit hard, why arent they marketing him there and why didnt he sell there. He has not shown which brings up other issues. Maybe this trainer was hiding something and thats why she didnt want anyone trying him. Maybe the best thing was that I didnt get involved and roped into a bad transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by ponymom67 View Post
    I actually wanted my daughter to try him but the pony was never tried by anyone that anyone knows of. The whole thing is very strange as I am not the only one who was interested and had this experience. Others have Pm'd me with similiar stories. I offered a very hefty sum to lease him, upon my trainers suggestion, to see if it was a good fit. I would have even offered a sum to try him for a week as I know is common practice. I do have the funds to purchase him if it were a match but the sale barn/trainer has disappeared off the face of the earth and so has he. I am not looking for a bargain but for the right pony for my daughter. We have tried a handful of ponies and are continuing our search. All of the ponies we have tried have been in the 6 figures. We are going to pony finals with our trainer and are going to continue our search there. There are many ponies on the market and not many buyers and we have our pick at this point and the trainers know it even at that price. I am determined to find out where he ends up (no where thus far even though he is supposedly a FABULOUS pony who even in the worst markets would sell) as the whole situation seems fishy. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth and I am not known to sit back and not open my mouth.
    That taste is fish! Look, you can't bypass the system unless you are a serious player. But the serious players don't play games. That's a serious pony, and the trainer/broker says opposite of what you say. I tend to believe the trainer. And frankly, this idea that because a horse is for sale it HAS to be sold? Or that the owner is desperate? Whatever. Those folks will wait for the right BUYER, not Lessor. In other words, they will wait for their price. The buyer's market thing does not apply to horses in the six figure range. The fact that you didn't call them up, make appointments, and fly there for a trial or meet at a show speaks volumes. Negatively of you. Again, serious pony. If you really had the money and believed in the horse, it would already be yours and we wouldn't be having this web board discussion. And I say this because I bought my last two off the internet sight unseen. Pros know when you know your stuff. Which brings up the question why aren't you letting your trainer do this for you? ?????????????????????????????????????

Lets let the game play out and see what happens. I will be happy to post the outcome in the COTH Lion's Den when the game plays out. Touche!

I have been to Florida, Atlanta and to some of the top shows looking for a pony and I CAN tell you this. The top pony trainers are lowering prices on some FAMOUS and FABULOUS ponies in the six figure range. Ponies who have ribboned at Devon, Indoors and Pony Finals previously priced at $200k - 300k are being deeply discounted. I have my pick and am one of the few buyers out there at that price point. I am being wined and dined by the top pony trainers out there. Not one of them is turning me away.

I dont work and have nothing better to do than fly around the country with my daughter and try ponies till I find the right one. I am a quick study and am learning the pony game FAST! I cant help it if Bedazzleds trainer didnt take me seriously and get me while the getting was good. I will be watching and listening at Pony Finals and will post what I find out here.

To be continued....

You have a lucky daughter! I hope you find the right pony

Sorry ponymom...nothing to hide on that pony. We haven't ridden there in months & I am still willing to tell you that. My kid got on at the show & he carted her around over 3foot. As he has done with all 3 kids that were riding him since arriving. I watched him for 4 months in the barn. Talented. Honest. Kind. A rare find in a large. You ought to just suck it up & pay for him, or else move on. No mystery. You just don't want to deal with the trainer at Bayridge, we can all see that Trying to make her look bad on COTH, or insinuate there is a problem with this truly nice pony is not right.
    "Crystal Acres"
    Home of 2005 National Champion Section B Welsh-
    "MORTON'S STAR COMMAND
    www.grandviewponies.com

I am a quick study and am learning the pony game FAST!
    Evidently not fast enough

You sound like a big puff of hot air that feels the need to brag because someone didn't take you seriously. If you are having so many BNTs wine and dine you, you should have NO problem finding a suitable pony for your daughter and you wouldn't be wasting so much time trying to get this one for a bargain basement price. Anyone of such perceived importance would move on. You are making yourself look foolish IMHO.

Lets let the game play out and see what happens. I will be happy to post the outcome in the COTH Lion's Den when the game plays out. Touche!
    Here's the thing. It may be a "game" to you. To people who do this for a living, it's a business.

In business, if your client, the pony's owner, says they want to sell, not lease, you don't waste time on someone looking for a lease to purchase deal.

I don't know this pony or trainer, but that's a pretty simple concept.

Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by crystalacresponies View Post
    Sorry ponymom...nothing to hide on that pony. We haven't ridden there in months & I am still willing to tell you that. My kid got on at the show & he carted her around over 3foot. As he has done with all 3 kids that were riding him since arriving. I watched him for 4 months in the barn. Talented. Honest. Kind. A rare find in a large. You ought to just suck it up & pay for him, or else move on. No mystery. You just don't want to deal with the trainer at Bayridge, we can all see that Trying to make her look bad on COTH, or insinuate there is a problem with this truly nice pony is not right.
    Can you share with us why you no longer ride with her? Seems as if there is a story there.

Is my understanding that this pony had a few stops at PF in 2007. Unfortunatley the score cards for 07' are no longer on USEF.org but when they were there, the Bedazzled owned by Taylor Potter has a score in the low 30's. Personally, I wouldn't buy my daughter a pony who didn't go around at Pony Finals only one year before. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by BelladonnaLily View Post
    Evidently not fast enough

You sound like a big puff of hot air that feels the need to brag because someone didn't take you seriously. If you are having so many BNTs wine and dine you, you should have NO problem finding a suitable pony for your daughter and you wouldn't be wasting so much time trying to get this one for a bargain basement price. Anyone of such perceived importance would move on. You are making yourself look foolish IMHO.
    I have found a pony and am in the process of vetting it. I am not interested in this pony anymore based on what has come out over the past few months. I know the USEF is cracking down on trainers who are raping buyers and I dont appreciate trainers marking ponies up 100%. Far be it from me to deny a proper commission to a trainer but dobling the price is sheer rape and I think trainers should be exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Here's the thing. It may be a "game" to you. To people who do this for a living, it's a business.

In business, if your client, the pony's owner, says they want to sell, not lease, you don't waste time on someone looking for a lease to purchase deal.

I don't know this pony or trainer, but that's a pretty simple concept.

Good luck in your search.
    Here is the simple concept. The pony has been on the market for more than 6 months. If it was my pony, I would have rather taken a lease and at least recouped some expenses while it was being marketed than sit on it and let it devalue in a slow market. But the owner didnt know the pony would sit and not sell. Hindisght is always 20/20.

I asked once and was declined. I dont count at the ring at HITs because the trainer was too busy smoking to even come and speak with me. I am going to follow this pony though as the trainer has put a bee in my bonnet. And I hear I am not the only one. There are a whole hive of bees out there swarming.

You seem to have a real axe to grind here. Why don't you just move on? You have no way of knowing what the circumstances are. Perhaps the trainer is covering some of the expenses on the pony (i.e. board/training/shipping/daycare) and isn't just pricing in a commission on the sale. Thus the "huge markup" is not really a huge markup. Bottom line- why don't you mind your own business instead of trying to stir up trouble?

Just so I am not making claims without proof. The pony's score was 84.00. Three judges for an average score of 28.00. Anyone know what happened?

CLASS: LARGE PONY HUNTER O/F

Place Back No. Horse Rider Owner Score
    1 528 VANITY FAIR LILLIE KEENAN ADRIENNE STERLICHT 262.000
    2 337 BLUE RIDGE SUNSET ASHLEY TOFFOLON NELLIE ANN FOOSANER 251.000
    3 300 EMERSON SCHAEFER RAPOSA GRAND CENTRAL INC 249.750
    4 83 ANDABA KYLEE ARBUCKLE HUCKELBERRY FARM 244.000
    5 106 HILLCREST PENNIE WISE CHARLOTTE JACOBS CHARLOTTE JACOBS 240.004
    6 125 CHERRY BROOKS BLUE SUEDE SHOES LEXI JOHNSON PAULEXI LLC 240.003
    7 184 ONSTAR STEPHANIE ENGLE ERICA ENGLE 240.002
    8 8 WOODLANDS SILVER CREEK ELEANOR LORTON ELEANOR LORTON 240.001
    9 152 SUNDAY BEST VICTORIA COLVIN RICHARD PRANT 239.500
    10 418 CAVALLI HASBROUCK DONOVAN PAIGE DEKKO 238.501
    11 445 SHOW BOAT SHAWN CASADY ANNE GARDNER 238.500
    12 177 A HOOF & A PRAYER CHASE BOGGIO ALEXA ROSE BOGGIO & CHASEN BOGGIO 238.000
    13 458 SAILORS TAKE WARNING GENEVIEVE ZOCK GENEVIEVE ZOCK 235.000
    14 183 BLUE ME AWAY STEPHANIE ENGLE STEPHANIE ENGLE 232.000
    15 60 BRIDGEWATER ELIZABETH BOONE ELIZABETH BOONE 230.000
    16 241 WOODLAND'S STAR MADDIE WADINGTON MADDIE WADINGTON 228.500
    17 65 ORLANDO ELAINA PLOTT ELAINA PLOTT 228.250
    18 82 PRICELESS SAMANTHA SOMMERS ED LANE AND HUCKLEBERRY FARM 228.000
    19 147 SIR ELTON MEGAN DAVIS MEGAN DAVIS 228.000
    20 482 KRAMER NATALIE LEVINE LOUIS LEVINE AND NATALIE LEVINE 226.500
    21 349 WOODLAND'S MISTY RAIN MADELINE TURNER SARAH STURGES 226.000
    22 546 EDDIE BAUER MARIKA RAFF MICHELLE TITO 225.750
    23 401 TAPPEN ZEE SARAH STEIN SARAH STEIN 222.500
    24 175 HIDEAWAY'S GREYSTONE SHILLELAGH MACKENZIE HAMILL MACKENZIE HAMILL 221.000
    25 199 LOREAL RYAN WAZNIK RYAN WAZNIK 221.000
    26 410 KASPER NICOLE EMILY GORTON STUARTFIELD & AMANDA HALL 220.500
    27 161 SUMMER BREEZE DEVON WRIGHT DEVON WRIGHT 220.000
    28 246 TOP GUN COURTNEY LINK COURTNEY LINK 219.000
    29 21 RICKY MARTIN LAUREN POWERS LAUREN POWERS 218.000
    30 429 GOOD HEAVENS SAMANTHA GUMBIN SAMANTHA GUMBIN 216.000
    31 541 BEDAZZLED RACHEL REDMOND RACHEL REDMOND 216.000
    32 486 DREAM TIME BEAU ELIZABETH RANZO ELIZABETH RANZO 213.000
    33 239 RED DRUM'S LIONHEART SARAH RESNICK SARAH RESNICK 212.000
    34 496 TRULY YOURS ELLIE FOELKER EMILY SWIFT 211.000
    35 36 LOVIN LIFE MEREDITH DARST STEPHANIE INGRAM 211.000
    36 88 DAIRE ME ELIZABETH PATZ ELIZABETH PATZ 209.000
    37 411 SUMMERLAND KAITLIN CAMPBELL NICOLE EMILY GORTON 208.000
    38 178 NOTEWORTHY BRITTLAN WALL SCOTT STEWART 207.000
    39 84 COMEDY HOUR HANNAH ELIZABET BEDWELL HANNAH ELIZABETH BEDWELL 207.000
    40 439 TURN THE PAGE ELLE TURNER ELLE TURNER 207.000
    41 323 BUCCEAL EIRE REGINA BARASCH REGINA BARASCH 207.000
    42 430 DADDY'S O.T. KIMBERLY PLASTER KIMBERLY PLASTER 205.000
    43 48 SUNKISSED STEPHANIE COOK LIONSWAY FARM 202.000
    44 342 REMBERT PHOEBE ROBINSON LEXI MAOUNIS 201.000
    45 160 DANCES WITH WOLVES NICOLE ROOS NICOLE ROOS 199.000
    46 11 MAPLESIDE MAGIC DANCER MEGAN MACPHERSON MEGAN MACPHERSON 197.000
    47 23 LUCKY CHARM NICKI LACHAPELLE NICKI LACHAPELLE 197.000
    48 129 GREY GOOSE LEYLAN GLEESON FAR NIENTE 197.000
    49 3 ALL THAT CHARLOTTE KEESLER CHARLOTTE KEESLER 195.000
    50 304 NOTORIOUS R NIKKI CARR NIKKI CARR 194.000
    51 98 ABOUT FACE SARA BRYAN MILL CREEK PONIES 194.000
    52 322 PRET-A-PORTER OLIVIA BREN OLIVIA BREN 194.000
    53 190 BLUE HAZE KENDRA MARTENFELD KENDRA MARTENFELD 194.000
    54 512 BON VOYAGE EDIE CALDWELL RACHEL KOGGAN 193.000
    55 171 BROWNLAND'S BUGS BUNNY CAITLIN GUINN BROWNLAND FARM 192.000
    56 53 RAZZLE DAZZLE MADISON ELISE CAMPO MADISON ELISE CAMPO 191.000
    57 63 KAPPUCCINO CAITLIN ZIEGLER CAITLIN ZIEGLER & ARTISANS FARM 191.000
    58 416 MILLPOND CELEBRITY TAYLOR ANN ADAMS SARAH GARNETT & OLIVIA HASLAM 189.000
    59 404 MAKING MAGIC MOLLY JANK MOLLY JANK 186.000
    60 293 PRINCE WILLIAM ALI SLOTT ALI SLOTT 184.000
    61 31 CAMBRIDGE RIVERDANCE RYAN GOODMAN RYAN GOODMAN 182.000
    62 28 MILLPOND SHOW TIME BETHANY HANSCOM BETHANY HANSCOM 180.000
    63 263 HALCYON GUINEVERE PARKER SCHOOLEY MARY MIELENZ 179.000
    64 4 MADAM ALEXANDER ELIZABETH ALLEN ELIZABETH ALLEN 177.000
    65 195 ELITE STORM FRONT KATHERINE JACK PARADYSZ FARM 165.000
    66 370 SANDLER CARRI D'ANGELO CONNOR MACLEAN 165.000
    67 319 CAMBRIDGE GABRIELLE HERO EMILY AFRICK 143.000
    68 211 CELEBRATION CATHERINE BILLINGS ROB BILLINGS 130.000
    69 57 SAND CASTLE EMMA ROBERTS CLAUDIA STYSLINGER 115.000
    70 67 WINSTON SAMANTHA SCHAEFER SAMANTHA SCHAEFER 115.000
    71 80 TEDDY BEAR ANNIE REARDON AMY REARDON 110.000
    72 234 MIDNIGHT HOUR MEG O'MARA MEG O'MARA 110.000
    73 435 PUTTIN ON THE RITZ TORI BERLIN TORI BERLIN 105.000
    74 52 SERENADE MARY MEGHAN HUITT ALEY RUSSELL 100.000
    75 390 BEDAZZLED TAYLOR POTTER TAYLOR POTTER 84.000
    76 257 DRESS FOR DINNER ELIZABETH DEGOLIAN ELIZABETH DEGOLIAN 50.000
    77 90 LILLY KERSTIN SAPP KERSTIN SAPP Refuse
    78 7 COPYRIGHT EMERY HANSON WIT'S END FARM Refuse
    79 10 PIPE CREEK CHIP N DALE CHRISTIE PETRELLI CHRISTIE PETRELLI Fell
    80 537 OCTOBER SKY GABI GONZALEZ GRAY GABI GONZALEZ GRAY Fell

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    You seem to have a real axe to grind here. Why don't you just move on? You have no way of knowing what the circumstances are. Perhaps the trainer is covering some of the expenses on the pony (i.e. board/training/shipping/daycare) and isn't just pricing in a commission on the sale. Thus the "huge markup" is not really a huge markup. Bottom line- why don't you mind your own business instead of trying to stir up trouble?
    I do have an axe to grind and I am not the only one.