The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Little update on Little Allie

Remember my pony filly that stuck her leg through a wall and sliced her leg all to pieces?? She is doing MUCH better. No photos, but thought I would share what is going on with her now (about a month later). She is still getting her leg wrapped, but she no longer has any open areas on the wounds (yeah! I can't see the inner workings of her leg anymore!) She has some granulation, but still no proud flesh and she is healing very nicely.

My vet was out today for some other things and I wanted him to look at her - I also needed his assistance desperetly as far as she is concerned. She has taken to ummm... shall we say OBJECTING to her leg being messed with? She had stiches in her leg - that popped fairly quickly but the sutures were still IN her leg. There was no way, no how, that I was getting them out by myself (I'm doing good to get the wraps changed at this point LOL). So even though, they could have come out a long time ago, today was the day. Vet brought his assistant. A big man. Vet is a big man. Filly is 11.3 - 12 hh and is 3 1/2 months old. Assistant had her pinned agains the wall, arms wrapped around her, holding tail. Vet got the wraps off, got the wound cleaned and Allie decided she had had enough. Filly bucked/reared and came up off the ground about 3 foot. Assitant held on, barely, and stiches came out in between bucks/kicks. Took them about 15 mins but they got 'er done.

Vet was impressed that I could get the wraps done at all (frankly at times I am too LOL). More importantly though, he was WAY impressed with how good the wound is looking - he even commented that he may have to "start following pregnant mares around for some of their amnion from now on." LOL Allie is going out now (and oh how she ran and bucked the first day) and her movement was not impared - she does get a little "ouchy" after a while of her running around, but she is sound for the most part and can "move on out".

Thank you all for all the wonderful advice and help! Perhaps someday in the near future I can snap some photos of her out romping around.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Hip Hip Hooray!!!! I'm glad to hear little (big) Allie is doing so well. I had a feeling she would kick it. She's no sissy, you know!!!
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Fabulous news Anissa!!

I'm so glad. You're due for some good luck.

YEA!!! So happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMEN!!!
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

I can not tell you how happy this makes me. You did good work, girl.
    OMGIH, I loff my mares clique

Thanks for the super update. I've thought of your little Allie often. Congratulations on your good work and persistence even though you seem to be confronting some drawbacks to that filly's toughness!

Next time your vet says anything about following mares around for amnion, you might want to remind him that he can keep some in his freezer.

What a wonderful update. I can't wait to see pictures of her out and about kicking up her heels.
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

That's great! I have a little Allie as well so I was rooting extra hard for yours.

Smile

I don't know how I missed this about Allie. I'm sure happy she's doing so well. You really deserve a very uneventful year in 2009--smooth foalings, no accidents and no illnesses. This year your vet should buy the whole darn cookie company for you.

What great news! I'm so glad. I'd love to see pictures when you can take some!

Thanks guys! You are right fish - her toughness is a blessing in some ways, but in other ways it is a drawback!

I told him (the vet) that he needs to stockpile some next foaling season. Since they are building a big, fancy, new clinic I'm sure that they can make the room! - 'course round here they are lucky to get the call about a horse (or any animal for that matter) that has gotten cut to pieces with barbed wire or something equally heinous after the animal has suffered 2 or 3 days (old time country folk who try to do the doctoring on their own.... and save some $$ sigh).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

So glad to hear this! Hope things continue to improve!!
    There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

So glad to hear this update! That is fantastic, and I too would love to see some pictures-

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com