The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this bit legal for Dressage?

Is this Stübben Golden Wings Snaffle Horse Bit legal for dressage? http://www.doversaddlery.com/st%FCbb...10472/cn/1457/

not currently, they are trying though

As long as it does not have the miracle gag slots as some do it is much like a full cheek snaffle

I thought it was.
    If I'm not remembering wrong, a girl in Pony Club used that bit for all 3 phases. It's like a loose ring, and the extended metal is almost like a bitguard, because it keeps it from pinching...

I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by eSpresso View Post
    I thought it was.
    If I'm not remembering wrong, a girl in Pony Club used that bit for all 3 phases. It's like a loose ring, and the extended metal is almost like a bitguard, because it keeps it from pinching...

I dunno.
    But bitguards ARE illegal.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

For some reason, I thought it was legal, too... However, it does not appear legal according to the rules... unless it's considered a "snaffle with cheeks" which I really think is a stretch...

And as a PP said, bit guards are illegal, too...

I know that bitguards are illegal, but I thought it might be be legal, because it's not the rubber thingers.

Like I said, I'm unsure, but I thought a girl used it in dressage on my PC team, although shoe could have used a different one, showing how I don't pay attention all the time..

Quote Originally Posted by eSpresso View Post
    I know that bitguards are illegal, but I thought it might be be legal, because it's not the rubber thingers.

Like I said, I'm unsure, but I thought a girl used it in dressage on my PC team, although shoe could have used a different one, showing how I don't pay attention all the time..
    But Pony Club rules may well be different from USEF rules.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    But Pony Club rules may well be different from USEF rules.
    We were competing at a recognized USEF/USEA event, so we were governed by USPC and USEF rules.

Can I veer a bit and ask why bit guards are illegal? I know they are, but do not understand why.

Huh. I've competed my young horse prelim in the KK equivalent. The bit checker agreed that it was legal. I really hope you're wrong, I do NOT want to buy another expensive bit!
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. -Carl Zwanzig

justasmidge - what does your bit look like?

So I guess the concensus is that the Stubben bit is illegal?

It is legal. I e-mailed Sharon at USEA a few months ago about this exact same bit with a link to a picture of it. If you want the e-mail PM me; I believe I still have it.

It looks like this.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. -Carl Zwanzig

I think or thought she was thinking of this one

http://www.bitofbritain.com/St_bben_...ffle_p/382.htm

Which we had been told by rep of company in April 2008 was not legal as it had not been approved yet.

It is not the same bit as the above link

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox View Post
    I think or thought she was thinking of this one

Which we had been told by rep of company in April 2008 was not legal as it had not been approved yet.

I e-mailed Sharon at USEA about both of these bits (the HS and the Stubben), and she checked with USEF and told me that both are legal. I have the e-mail if anyone wants it.

I'd bring both the email and a spare, clearly legal bit to any event where you want to use the golden wings one - I was just at an event where a coach brought one to the TD to check and the verdict was that it was illegal. Right or wrong, that's what happened there.

Default The bit is not legal for dressage in the real world the event usef rep is out today

Thank you for your inquiry below. Unfortunately, this bit pictured below is not legal for Dressage Competition as it does not conform to any of the bits pictured in DR Figure 1. I am only able to give you a clarification for the Dressage Discipline. Shealagh Costello is the Director of National Eventing and should be able to help you with this bit question relating to Eventing.

Thank you,

Jenny Van Wieren
    United States Equestrian Federation, Inc.
    Assistant Director of Dressage
    Direct Dial: 859-225-6949
    Fax: 859-231-6662

Is this bit legal

"
    luise
    I e-mailed Sharon at USEA about both of these bits (the HS and the Stubben), and she checked with USEF and told me that both are legal. I have the e-mail if anyone wants it."

Maybe she or they thought is was another bit.

The bit checks at most events on the west coast ARE NOT allowing them and I checked with the usef reps for dressage (see post above) and THE ANSWER WAS NO!

The event rep for usef is out today and Sharon from USEA said she would check as she did not know if it was legal.. So there you GO

from Sharon's email this morning:
    "The actually approval would have come from the USEF. I cannot remember
    whether this met their approval or not. I will forward the photo (thanks for
    including it) to Shealagh Costello, USEF Director of Eventing for
    clarification.

Sharon Gallagher, Director
    Sport Services
    703.779.0440 x 3005 "

Quote Originally Posted by luise View Post
    I e-mailed Sharon at USEA about both of these bits (the HS and the Stubben), and she checked with USEF and told me that both are legal. I have the e-mail if anyone wants it.
    Yes, I also asked last year and Sharon G. as USEA said that they were legal. I forwarded that e-mail to the HT I was going to. The only comment was from the judge who asked if i had my bit checked.

Default Is this bit legal?

The bit is not legal for Eventing dressage. The reason, as noted early in this thread, is that the "wings" function as bit guards.

Malcolm