The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 81
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2007
    Location
    Picturesque Hillsboro Virginia
    Posts
    552

    Default Cremello or Perlino?????

    I just had my last foal of the year. He is a colt, but I am stumped on whether he is a perlino or a cremello. Sire is cremello, dam is buckskin so choices are palomino, buckskin, perlino or cremello. When he was born I thought right away he was perlino...he looked more pink to me and if I had not seen his blue eyes I would have sworn he was a palomino but know he is either perlino or cremello. For those who have perlinos and cremellos what do you think? I will have a DNA test done ASAP, but I'm dying to know now!!! When he was born I really thought perlino, but once he dried off, I thought cremello. I've never had a perlino..so none to compare too. Just seems more "pink" to me, but maybe he is just a different shade of cremello that I'm not use to. TIA He is 12 hours old in the photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andyhead.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	21460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andystand.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	21461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andycon.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	74.1 KB 
ID:	21462  
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 8, 2005
    Posts
    660

    Default What a cutie!

    Sorry, can't help with the color but just had to reply, he is too cute! I have been a fan of yours for ages, check into your website often to see the foals and what color they are. Loved Gold Card too! I actually have a dark dappled buckskin tb/draft, just love the color. Anyway, congrats on your babies!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2002
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    16,684

    Default

    I just can't tell from those pics. The two perlinos I had were a bit darker in their manes and tails...a cremello would be white I would expect.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2007
    Location
    Picturesque Hillsboro Virginia
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by workinggirl View Post
    Sorry, can't help with the color but just had to reply, he is too cute! I have been a fan of yours for ages, check into your website often to see the foals and what color they are. Loved Gold Card too! I actually have a dark dappled buckskin tb/draft, just love the color. Anyway, congrats on your babies!
    Thanks you so much!!!

    I miss Gold Card so much, he was my love and also my riding horse...he was an such incredible stallion!!!
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2007
    Location
    Picturesque Hillsboro Virginia
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I just can't tell from those pics. The two perlinos I had were a bit darker in their manes and tails...a cremello would be white I would expect.
    I hope you are right...I WANT him to be cremello, but he is a much richer color than I've ever had before..so maybe just a different shade of cremello? I sure hope so!!! His tail is very white and so is the mane.
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2005
    Location
    Oak Harbor
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blonde Filly View Post
    Thanks you so much!!!

    I miss Gold Card so much, he was my love and also my riding horse...he was an such incredible stallion!!!
    Your stallion is AA right? Im going with a dark cremello.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2007
    Location
    Picturesque Hillsboro Virginia
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    Your stallion is AA right? Im going with a dark cremello.
    He is homoz for the agouti gene...is that AA?
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2005
    Location
    Oak Harbor
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blonde Filly View Post
    He is homoz for the agouti gene...is that AA?
    Yes that is
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2007
    Location
    Picturesque Hillsboro Virginia
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Another question on the dam of this foal...her sire a cremello has produced a smokey black foal before, so I know her dam was not homoz agouti and so a cremello that produces smokey blacks. This mare's dam is homoz black..she has had 5 buckskins so far..so I would assume she is homoz bay. So if the dam of this foal was out of a homoz bay mare bred to a cremello that has produced smoky black foals would my buckskin mare the dam of op question, would she carry the red gene? The color calculator asked if she was homoz bay and if she had a red gene..I've neve test this dam..so not sure.
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug. 2, 2005
    Location
    Oak Harbor
    Posts
    2,489

    Default

    Ok that post was incredibly confusing for me, but i will try.

    Red is ee ??. Bay is E? A?

    A cremello is ee ?? and a horse who is homozygous bay is either Ee AA or EE AA, depending on the definition. Some say homozygous bay is just AA others say its EE AA.

    A cremello who produces a smokey black is either aa or Aa. A buckskin who produces a smokey black is Aa.

    You cannot tell whether the buckskin is Ee or EE except through testing, or many breedings.

    Does that answer your questions?
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 19, 2005
    Location
    good ole\' midwest
    Posts
    390

    Talking

    Oh, quit worrying your pretty little head and just give him to me! He's be- ueti-ful!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    It is a dark cremello I would say. I had several of these and can tell you will be able to see the markings always. Perlino looks more beige over all.
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 6, 2004
    Location
    East Central Mississippi
    Posts
    1,404

    Default

    Looks - to me - like a double creamed black.

    Or cremello.

    Doesn't really seem perlino to me though.



    I would really be wanting to go w/the double cream on black -- which is Smokey Cream. sylvia
    Never explain yourself to someone who is committed to misunderstanding you.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Simple.. test for e.. cost is $25.. answer is priceless!!

    A crem is eeCrCr



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 29, 2006
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    It is a dark cremello I would say. I had several of these and can tell you will be able to see the markings always. Perlino looks more beige over all.
    not so sure, our perlino boy is as white as snow and was at birth, the only difference between our cremello and our perlino is the darker colour tinges in the tail.

    Either way what a little cracker........ congratulations.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 27, 2007
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Posts
    9,694

    Default

    Are you sure he's not a light palomino?

    Foal coats are so deceiving sometimes. You said sire was eeAACrCr? And dam is buckskin but unknown whether EE or Ee?

    You're confusing the agouti gene with the base color gene (I think, I couldn't quite figure out what you were asking).

    A cremello is eeCrCr with unknown agouti status. He'll always give a red gene.

    A buckskin can be EeCr or EECr. Yours would be EeCr because her sire was cremello. So yes on the red gene, from her sire.

    Agouti status is unknown unless you have her tested. You know the sire wasn't homozygous agouti if he threw smoky blacks, but she could still be homozygous depending on whether her sire was heterozygous agouti. So she could be either AA or Aa.



  17. #17

    Default

    He has blue eyes... isn't that cremello
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2007
    Location
    Picturesque Hillsboro Virginia
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Are you sure he's not a light palomino?

    Foal coats are so deceiving sometimes. You said sire was eeAACrCr? And dam is buckskin but unknown whether EE or Ee?

    You're confusing the agouti gene with the base color gene (I think, I couldn't quite figure out what you were asking).

    A cremello is eeCrCr with unknown agouti status. He'll always give a red gene.

    A buckskin can be EeCr or EECr. Yours would be EeCr because her sire was cremello. So yes on the red gene, from her sire.

    Agouti status is unknown unless you have her tested. You know the sire wasn't homozygous agouti if he threw smoky blacks, but she could still be homozygous depending on whether her sire was heterozygous agouti. So she could be either AA or Aa.
    He has two aqua blue eyes..so I know he is not a palomino. I should get my buckskin mare tested to see her color genes. Thanks for great post though!
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb. 10, 2006
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere, take a right, FL
    Posts
    4,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belambi View Post
    Simple.. test for e.. cost is $25.. answer is priceless!!

    A crem is eeCrCr
    Seriously. You can guess until the cows come home but it could be months or years if ever you could tell just by looking at him. Same with the mare. You know she is A__E__Crcr unless she's had a chestnut foal in which she'd be A__EeCrcr

    Dad is AAeeCrCr So cutie is A__e___CRCR I'm going to guess he's cremello but it's just a guess. You know he isn't a smokey cream at least. 8-D
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

    Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2007
    Location
    Picturesque Hillsboro Virginia
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    Seriously. You can guess until the cows come home but it could be months or years if ever you could tell just by looking at him. Same with the mare. You know she is A__E__Crcr unless she's had a chestnut foal in which she'd be A__EeCrcr

    Dad is AAeeCrCr So cutie is A__e___CRCR I'm going to guess he's cremello but it's just a guess. You know he isn't a smokey cream at least. 8-D
    I will be testing the colt for sure...want to know 100%...I would prefer the cremello..but he is much darker than I've had in the past with the other 3 that I bred...plus my all white filly has the cremello medicine hat, but I knew palomino to palomino only had the choice of cremello, palomino and chestnut..and the blue eyes are the dead give away!!!
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2



Similar Threads

  1. UK Cremello, Perlino Kinsky
    By paintjumper in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 4, 2011, 05:00 PM
  2. Black offspring from perlino?
    By paint hunter in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov. 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
  3. Pony breeders - market for perlino welsh stallion??
    By murph in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jul. 25, 2009, 12:18 AM
  4. Electrum is the 1st cremello TB
    By Leigh in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: Oct. 18, 2008, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •