The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Truck Drivin' Man

Anyone remember this horse and his show career? I did not have an opportunity to see him show as he was retired when I first got interested in breeding to him. Does anyone remember his jump and flat movement and if so, could they give me their opinion?

I loved that stallion! Beautiful hunter type mover, cant comment on his jump at all and a beautiful large bodied type as well

Liked everything about him

Is he still alive?

Trucker is deceased. His owner has frozen straws in storage and has offered me a breeding to him. I met him after he was retired to stud and all I can say is that he was so impressive. I think he stood almost 17 hands, was still beautiful, correct and the sweetest stallion I've ever met. He came out of his stall and put his head in my lap and stood quietly being petted while his breeding manager told me about him.

I didn't know him - but George Morris did and spoke favourably of him that I remember...a while back now.

I haven't heard that name in a LONG time! All I ever saw of him was his conformation shots, but holy cow, I'd breed to that in a heartbeat!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Excellent stallion.

There was a huge thread on him over on Hunter / Jumper very recently. Do a search.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

VB, I did a search of the hunter/jumper forum and came up with a lot of posts about bad TB names. I was not able to locate one that discussed Trucker's attributes or show career. Can you direct me to it (I don't think I'm very good at this BB stuff). Thanks

I remember him. He was gorgeous, and so were his offspring. I can't remember details about his jump or movement, but I remember his conformation well. Very nice type.

Quote Originally Posted by au_panda
    VB, I did a search of the hunter/jumper forum and came up with a lot of posts about bad TB names. I was not able to locate one that discussed Trucker's attributes or show career. Can you direct me to it (I don't think I'm very good at this BB stuff). Thanks
    Lemme look.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Well, that search function is not worth much..............I'm sorry I couldn't find it either!!! But the thread was all about the correct spelling of his name and all sorts of other things.

He was a west coast horse - Judy Hedreen of Sylvan Farms posts here sometimes - she's been around ages and for some reason I think she would know him.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    He was a west coast horse - Judy Hedreen of Sylvan Farms posts here sometimes - she's been around ages and for some reason I think she would know him.
    Yes, he stood in California. At The Oaks, I believe.

I thought he was at Running Creek ... now Pollyrich.

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderFarm View Post
    I thought he was at Running Creek ... now Pollyrich.
    I am pretty sure he was at The Oaks, at least at some point in the 80s; my then-trainer (Judy Richter) was friends with his owner. My friends own Pollyrich, but he may very well have been there at some point when it was Running Creek, not sure.
    Last edited by YankeeLawyer; Jun. 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM.

He may have been at The Oaks at one time ... can't remember who rode him. Guess it would have been prior to South Pacific, et al.

Sure I saw him at Running Creek as an old guy - long before Pollyrich. Wouldn't be surprised if there is frozen in the tanks there as they had an interesting collection - altho maybe not as interesting as what is in the tanks at SBS!!!

I would breed to Truck Drivin' Man in a heartbeat. How cool to have a baby from one of the old greats like that.

Default Trucker

You had better do your homework on that horse- I knew him/ saw him when he came off the track- saw his off spring- I am not going to comment further but check with people in Oregon or Wa for a true assessment- very attractive horse- and his off spring are very attractive- usually bay- good heads etc-- Don Kerron of Sunwood Farm owned him-

A friend of mine had a mare by him, and she was one of his very best broodmares. Lovely mare, wonderful producer and nice disposition.

Smile

I'm not experienced with first-generation offspring, but I stood a Truck Drivin Man grandson. He was/is a great guy -- smart as a whip, fabulous shoulder and stride, handsome head, with an extraordinary back-cracking jump. And the most solid feet I've ever had on a TB or anything else (which he stamped as a stallion, thank goodness.)

Just an old-fashioned, well-conformed, big strapping TB. Love the line!!

Now gelded, he just headed to Middleburg to be an event horse.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

I met Trucker at Running Creek Ranch in the early 90's. He was managed by Joe Perez at that time.

Throughout the time I knew him, he was owned by one of the founders of the IHF. I also know that he was shown by Richard Keller (as there was a stunning shot of both of them in the Regulars at the old Monterey fairgrounds show, which really dates me for any of those that know Calif shows).

I saw a number of his babies at Running Creek when I was there and I know that at least one of them was with Carlton Brooks for many years (a stallion son named Truckin' Kinda Guy).

There, that's the extent of my info at this point and I appreciate getting your opinions of him. If anyone else can lend more insight, I'd appreciate all the info I can get.