The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Omg I think my mare might be pregnant*update* no baby

Last summer (now I have to go find the papers) I tried with one breeding to an RID to get my wonderful old maiden TB mare in foal. It didn't work. So they told me. She also didn't test clean at the time. I had decided to try only once since she was old (20) and figured if it was 'meant to be' it would happen.
    Tonight I pull her out of the field to switch pastures, let her hand graze and think 'wow, that's a low hanging belly'. She is kind of fine boned and a little swayed backed so I didn't notice til now. Checked her bag, there really isn't any bag, but the npples are bigger than they should be in a maiden mare and there is fricking milk! Now I am panicking, trying to remember when we AI'ed her (I came here first), I think it was August and she would be due in July. If this is true, is this placentitis with the prior infection and now milk?? I can't believe this. The poor girl has had no extra care or food or anything. What is the best way to check her now? This is insane.

Just found the paperwork. She was AI'ed on 7/12. Sh*t! I have done NOTHING for her! Could it be false? Gotta call the vet.
    Last edited by DLee; Jun. 22, 2008 at 10:38 AM.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

No real advice but sending loads of best thoughts and jingles your way.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Does the milk look like milk? or clearer fluid? Check her bag after she stands in her stall for the day. Some mares will walk down the udder until they foal. Of course, have the vet palpate her asap, as if pregnant, she could foal now.

I'm back. Vet is coming in the morning. The milk looks like milk. She doesn't look huge, but definitely hanging lower than she ever has before. Nice how much attention I paid to her. She has just been turned out in the field most all the time. She has been on low level grain. I feel stupid and neglectful.
    www.dleestudio.com

Hoping it works out for the best - but with the date of 7/12 she would be 'due' any moment now (well, actually a few days over)! Good luck, however it turns out!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

many MANY MANY mares foal JUST FINE without all the 'extras' we give them. If she was getting *good* nutrition (i.e. has been in good weight) and NORMAL care, you will be fine. You may find it harder to keep her weight up with lactation, so if you find she is pg, start tomorrow with something like Calf Manna or Sunshine pellets, or even just alfalfa pellets, rice bran, or oil etc. Work up the amounts. (My older girls get about 2lbs/day starting 90 days before 'due date' (I use 345) with a cup, building up to 2lbs. I also feed almost free choice beep/falf and oil on top of hay, pasture and oats. )

Fescue is the big worry... if she hasn't had access, you will be FINE. If she has, discuss with the vet tomorrow. There are things you can do. Those old Tb's with the lovely big heartgirths can hide the babies very well.

Older maidens can have less uterine nutrition for the bebes, so be ready to use something like Foal Aide or Rejuvenaide.

I kind of hope she *is* for you, wouldn't it be lovely? I hope it would be, if she is.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

here's hoping she is, and you get a wonderful baby! Don't feel guilty, just go full speed ahead from here on in!
    "To my Gub... Godspeed my friend, till we meet again." 1996-2007.
    Runway (Sasha) 2009 Zweibrucker filly by Redwine.

"Silence is golden...and duct tape is silver."

Quote Originally Posted by gubbyz View Post
    here's hoping she is, and you get a wonderful baby! Don't feel guilty, just go full speed ahead from here on in!
    My feelings exactly! Here is to a safe foaling.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

You would certainly not be the first person this has happened to. Horses foal all the time without all the extras. Don't beat yourself up, you were going on what you were told. Good luck!

Good luck, and I hope she is and gives you a dandy.

I remember reading a few years ago about a racehorse who had been on layup at the farm, no romantic encounters reported but one obviously occurred. She returned to training, was in full training and had even raced recently, and she had a foal. At the track. Groom arriving in the morning found the foal in the stall. They were all OMG and felt bad for what they had been doing with her, but she and the foal were just fine.

Thanks so much you guys. I would be MORE than thrilled if she is and this all goes well, she was bred to Bridon Belfry. And I have kept reminding myself that she has been one of those iron mares, indestructible (survived Bastard Strangles even), and stoic and tough. Here I thought she was just finally looking good on all this grass! Which, I'm afraid, probably has fescue in it.
    Hubby put the foal cam back up (from our foal in March)... this is very weird to be watching her on it! Thanks for the good thoughts, I so appreciate them.
    www.dleestudio.com

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

oooh... I've drooled and drooled over him!

Good luck, you MUST let us know as soon as you know.

You'll be fine. It WILL be lovely!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default Jingles for you and your mare!!

We all hope she is ok but of course we want pictures if all this happens. Whatever we'll pray that she is ok even if she's not in foal.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Good luck, and I hope she is and gives you a dandy.

I remember reading a few years ago about a racehorse who had been on layup at the farm, no romantic encounters reported but one obviously occurred. She returned to training, was in full training and had even raced recently, and she had a foal. At the track. Groom arriving in the morning found the foal in the stall. They were all OMG and felt bad for what they had been doing with her, but she and the foal were just fine.

And thanks for that story, that really DID make me feel better!!
    www.dleestudio.com

Nothing to add but good luck wishes! I'm sure it will all work out just fine if she is bred. Horses have been doing this for a long time

***JINGLES*** for your mare! I LOVE Bridon btw. NICE stallion.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

Ok, took me a while to get here, but OMG!

Go and look on the eventing forum and do a search for Flightcheck's story of the Fat Paint Mare's surprise baby -- she discovered the pg the same way and had had her mare on a serious DIET because she wasn't trimming up.

She foaled beautifully and had a gorgeous filly, who is now a fantabulous two year old.

So, if she is pg, I want the foal cam address!

Libby (Go Dream!)
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

years ago when I was in college, I leased a mare that had been bred but supposedly had not "taken". I brought her home on christmas break and the owner said "omg she is fat" and promptly but her on a diet...

Long story short, when I brought her home on spring break, the vet was out to do a breeding exam, uterine culture etc . while he was palpating her, he became very thoughtful and finally said... "well, I think we have an 8 month old ankle in here...." Sure enough , 3 months later she had a stunning filly, despite being on quite a restricted diet from dec to april and in full work.

Horses are tough and you'll be fine!!

i hope it all works out for you!

ps I have an irish draught gelding now and they are awesome!!

So I'm evenly relieved and disappointed. She does have some kind of abnormal mass on an ovary, which may possibly have contributed to the 'milk' (which is white and streams out willingly!). At least even the vet looked at her and thought she was pregnant too, so I'm not losing my mind. More tests ahead, but thank you for all the good thoughts in the last 12 hours.
    www.dleestudio.com

Hey Diana, sorry to hear of the stress you have been going through wondering if your mare was due to foal. Hope the vet can figure out what the problem is, but is he sure there is no foal inside??
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill