The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I came off today! :-(

So I wasn't sure I was going to ride this morning. I've had an evil cold and really didn't think I was going to feel up to it -- but when I woke up I felt a bit better and decided to head out with my SO to meet up with a few other folks we knew were going to ride too.

I think Luke knew I wasn't feeling great -- he was very sleepy and lovey the whole time we groomed, tacked, and loaded on the trailer, and mello at the trail head (usually he's eager to go). So we had a pokey ride, just enjoying the scenery and not pushing ourselves. About half way my cold medicine wore off and I was in a bit of a fog. We were walking in a low area that was a little slick. Best I can tell, Luke's front left got hung up on a root in the mud, and he tripped and dropped to his knees. My reaction time was bad -- I wasn't able to pull him up or help at all. My hubby said I did a perfect flip over his shoulder and landed on my back. Luke stayed down until I rolled out the way and got up, then got himself up. He is just such a good horse . I walked him out, then myself out. We're both ok, though I have a series of scratches on my left arm and I think I'll hurt a bit tomorrow.

I'm thinking that maybe, I should have stayed in bed with a cup of tea and Pebbles, my beagle-ope, which is where I am right now. And added bonus -- it's OT day!

Anyone else have a good or bad ride this weekend?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Remember Aleve is your friend - so sorry about your mishap! We will be riding tomorrow so can't say yet but we usually have good rides. We have roots too however so thanks for the reminder to always scan the footing ahead of me (a reason not to be in a fog! )

I had a nice ride this morning. My 12 year old grandson is staying with us for the weekend and he brought is trick bike. He rode it on my 10 mile loop and proved to give Shadow fits. He would pull up beside Shadow and then pop a wheely or come but beside him and then kick the rearend out spraying gravel.
    It was a good training exercise and luckly Shadow accepted.
    I also spend about 3 or 4 hours in the bush with a 4 wheeler and a chain saw and branch trimers clearing trail.
    Tomorrow might be a different story but so far I stayed on his back.

I'm glad neither you nor the horse was hurt worse. Curling up in bed with your pup is a lot better than curling up on a hospital gurney with an ice pack!

Glad you are no worse for the wear. Gte lots of sleep and drink clear fluids.

Re: bikes on trail rides. My boy was initially scared of them- his 1st encounter with trail/mountain bikes was *hearing* them, that is their squealing brakes as they went down hills in this park abutting the barn where he boarded. He soon learned not to worry too much, after all the others we were out with were not reacting. The bikers would usually stop and pull off the trail to let the group pass. I took to giving them a sugar cube to feed my guy- soon he decided he *loved* those bikes. When we moved to NJ in the late 90s we ended up going out riding with a friend on his bike- he thought that was very cool and even one time trotted literally out of his shoes (over-reached) trying to keep up. Got him used to quads in the same manner. The only thing I did not get to acclimate him to were dirt bikes, which are pretty noisy.

BLUF: he will get better with time and patience (and lots of treats!).
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member TROT www.trot-md.org, Mt Airy Saddle Pals https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mount...70438446334624 & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Ugh, I've tried riding while sick before too; it always ends up not well! Get back to bed and get better, your horse won't mind the time off, I'm sure.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I'm here, in bed. Just took a hot bath to try to ward off the soreness tomorrow, and clear my sinuses at the same time. There's a ride tomorrow morning with a group, that's going on a trail I've been wanting to try. I'm bummed, but I'm thinking I'll be sleeping in and staying home. Hubby may go without me, darn him.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

A hubby that will ride without you, wow, I am jealous.

Feel better.

I took Seabiscuit out on the trail for the first time this year, actually, the first since he bolted and nearly killed me. We went out with Steady Eddy. No spooks, no bolts, but after we turned to come home, his blood pressure went up and he bucked hard two different times when Eddy trotted up a hill in front of him. I immediately did ORS and numerous hip disengagings. The last straw when he was in front of Eddy and kicked out and got my friend's stirrup.

So when he was good he was very good, and when he was bad he was terrible.

I liked his new Myler bit with curb chain, I felt I had more communication immediately with it.

Norval, I need you here in Maryland. PM me with any suggestions.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Sounds like you have a very nice horse who looks out for you. Unlike mine.

Glad you're OK. One's reaction times aren't so good when sick.

I had a slight mishap. Horse was spunky, storm was rolling in and I still wanted to get in a bareback ride. So took said spunky horse to the back of the truck, where I climb up on the tailgate to hop on from ... I knew he was feeling his oats, but I had forgotten how quick he can be ... so I had him lined up with the truck and as I went to hop on he scooted sideways and instead of me landing on his back, I landed on the ground on my knees .. ouch.

Anyway, I still had the reins in my hand, he knew he had messed up and I carry a handy bat with me, so, yes, I smacked him one (on his side). He did not move when he saw it coming. Then said, "come on" .. went back to the truck, climbed back up on the tailgate, and horse didn't move an inch.

Had a very productive ride after that. Good pony. He is not an easy horse and never has been.

Took two Aleve for my knees later that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bank of Dad View Post
    So when he was good he was very good, and when he was bad he was terrible.

I had one of those, my OTTB Zack, who I spent six years trying to transform into a good trail horse. About two years too long, I'm afraid. I loved him, so I retired him, and he's here -- a happy old man. And Jazz and now Luke have made me love riding again.

Sore today. My arm is really banged up, and I've discovered so is my butt. Guess it wasn't my back I landed on afterall!
    <>< I.I.

Default Bumps and bruises

Two weekends ago was one that I'd like to forget. Went down the laneway to bring Bucky (Percheron/Fjord cross) up to the barn and he decided that head down eating grass was preferable to paying attention to me. I swatted him with lead shank on nose - he swatted my nose with his head. Needless to say my nose was broken, neat colours on nose and eyes. Sunday I was walking upstairs and stubbed my toe and tore off the end of the toenail. Monday I was riding the baby Percheron (3 years old & 17 hands) and she decided that cantering more than about 2 strides was too much like work - apparently she didn't like being tapped with the whip so she proceded to buck me off. Spent most of last week living on Advil and Tylenol 3 and realizing yet again that I'm not 18 anymore and that the ground really hurts.
    Cuddling up with the dog really is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Corbyville283 View Post
    he swatted my nose with his head.
    Ooowww. Ugh. I'm so sorry. Just the thought makes me cringe. Sounds like you're worse off than me. I would have done the Advil/red wine combination if I were you.
    <>< I.I.