The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Showing in this economy

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • drive 1 hour to a show

19 48.72%
  • drive 2 hours to a show

10 25.64%
  • drive 3 hours to a show

22 56.41%
  • entries close one week before the show?

18 46.15%
  • entries close two weeks before the show

10 25.64%
  • entries close a month or more before the show

13 33.33%
  • pay a post entry fee of $50 or more

5 12.82%
  • pay a post entry fee = to one class fee

10 25.64%
  • show in 3 or more shows this year

24 61.54%
  • show in less than 3 shows this year

11 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The distance to a show is less important that the quality of the show when we get there. That includes the facility, the management, and most of all the experience for the young horse. If my entries are getting close to the deadline I will hand-deliver to the show secretary if possible to avoid a late fee. Most of all I want to be welcome back, so I try to use my best company manners throughout the day. It is all for a $1 ribbon after all, and the judge's opinion is just that, nothing more. I heard a shopkeeper one time mutter this after being verbally laced by a customer after the customer left his shop, " If you want something real to worry about, go get a gallstone." Horse showing is far from life and death, and really not worth getting too upset about. Enjoy the moment and pat your horse. The judge and show management don't pay your feed bill or get to love on your nice horse.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I think it is interesting that 20 responses said they would like a show to close 2 weeks or less before a show.

Not to go back to apples and oranges, a "B" rated H/J show in my region closes 3 days prior to the show, and provides FAXing of entries. I find that a real benefit.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

I ticked off all the boxes that I would consider acceptable in entering a show. Thus all of them. I also ticked off the fact that my horses will show at least three times this year. This poll was not drawn up in such a way that anything useful can be proven. Read into it what you will.

Not again gives excellent advice.

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    Most of all I want to be welcome back, so I try to use my best company manners throughout the day. It is all for a $1 ribbon after all, and the judge's opinion is just that, nothing more.
    What a novel idea!

I might add that it is just the judge's opinion—at that particular moment. Your little bugger could walk out of the ring with a 10 walk that he COULD have showed in the ring ....

Horse showing is far from life and death, and really not worth getting too upset about.
    Somewhere along the line I heard the phrase "It's just a horse show—we're not curing cancer!" Always loved that one ....
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorsefilly View Post
    I think it is interesting that 20 responses said they would like a show to close 2 weeks or less before a show.

Not to go back to apples and oranges, a "B" rated H/J show in my region closes 3 days prior to the show, and provides FAXing of entries. I find that a real benefit.
    Do H/J shows provide a printed show program listing all entries, the approx. time they are showing, which ring, which judge, owner's name (and ideally, breeder's name, breed/registry of horse, sire/dam/damsire, etc.)?

The last time I went to a H/J show - and I admit, it has been a few years - there was no such thing as a printed show program. By contrast, these are staple items at dressage shows, including DSHB shows. And the danged things take TIME to put together and get printed. A show organizer can't close entries 3 days prior to the event and have much hope of providing an ACCURATE printed show program.

The fact is that if they close entries 2 weeks prior to the event and only charge a $25.00 late fee, they are going to still be getting late entries right up until show day, which compromises the accuracy of the show program and wreaks havoc on the class scheduling. They have to give themselves enough lead time with the closing date to set the class schedules and finalize the program, and they have to make the late fee punitive enough that people will actually respect the closing date.

And so your vote in the poll is ...
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Naturally, it depends on so many factors! For my favorite shows, I'll still haul 5+ hours, enter a month in advance, and generally jump through hoops to get to.

But I have used gas prices as rationale to skip poorly managed shows I didn't really want to go to anyway.

I think most riders will free up the resources if they want to do a show badly enough. If anything, gas prices should be a big motivator to show managers (and I say this as a show manager of a breed show) to really go out of their way to not just put on a prestigious show, but make sure they do what they can to make their show a great experience for the owners & riders, within reason.

As a show manager, in the past we've offered "fluff" prizes such as prepaid gas cards to the entrant who traveled the farthest to be there- BIG hit. Great response, and helps them justify coming back.

I just can't vote in this poll. There is no option for:

"The show itself is the most important criteria...it dictates how far I'll drive, when I'll enter...how many I'll do."

CurleyLindsay says:
    I think most riders will free up the resources if they want to do a show badly enough.
    And that's it....in a nutshell.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I think the idea of offering "gasoline" or "diesel" cards as fluff prizes is excellent

Offer to donate them and it could happen, I bet!