The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Showing in this economy

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • drive 1 hour to a show

19 48.72%
  • drive 2 hours to a show

10 25.64%
  • drive 3 hours to a show

22 56.41%
  • entries close one week before the show?

18 46.15%
  • entries close two weeks before the show

10 25.64%
  • entries close a month or more before the show

13 33.33%
  • pay a post entry fee of $50 or more

5 12.82%
  • pay a post entry fee = to one class fee

10 25.64%
  • show in 3 or more shows this year

24 61.54%
  • show in less than 3 shows this year

11 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In this Economy would you?

With the economy and the cost of fuel, hay, grain etc. How do you feel about showing?

Would you be more inclined to enter a show if the closing date were within a week of the show; 2 weeks before the show; three weeks before the show?

How do you feel about post entry fees?

would you prefer to attend a show within 1 hour; 2 hours or 3 hours of my farm?

These questions are for everyone.
    Last edited by sporthorsefilly; Jun. 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM. Reason: corrections
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Well, I didn't vote, b/c if it was a show that I wanted to go to, then I would enter and go! I wouldn't be worried about a post-entry fee b/c I am very careful to not enter late. Likewise closing dates don't really affect my show selections; I just make note of them so that my entries are in on time.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Ditto Hillside.

Thanks to those who answer the poll.
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Voted.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I voted drive three hours--only because I HAVE to. There are no DSHBs any closer to me, and the drive is closer to 5 for UNH or Seacoast. NEDA is more like 6. Would I PREFER some closer? Of course. But since I don't have a facility to host, I can't whine, because *I'm* not willing to do anything about it.

I might show two or three if they were within an hour's drive in other years, not this year.

I like closing dates as close to the show as possible, because sh*t happens, (and more if it seems to be happening to ME this year than ever before!) and babies get hurt, trucks break down etc. I want to be sure I can swing it. What I canNOT swing this year is the loss if, for example I enter 2 horses/classes and all the related fees, and the truck breaks and I can't get there. And while you usually can get a refund with a vet cert, it's not always a vet-worthy problem, and farm call/vet fee is probably double the lost class fee... but I can't afford to just throw the $$ away. So the closing date IS a big deal to me, and a bigger deal this year.

I really, really, really wanted to show my Spanish Colonial yearling and my pinto 2yo colt this year. Unless something drastically changes, it's not going to happen.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Thanks Pintopiaffe,

you have my sympathies about the drives. I commute 120 miles round trip to work each day, but then I have too

Yes, closing dates closer to a show would be easier, because, sh*t does happen, for everyone.

Best wishes

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

well, the Spanish Colonial isn't exactly cooperating growth wise, so it's ok so far. Now, if she blooms in the next month, I might have to work a week of extra shifts and get her out there.

For now, she is growing UP so much, she's looking like a 2x4 on stilts. With lots of hair.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I will show in less than 3 shows, but mostly because of my time. It is also easier for me to get away to show at a 3+ hour show, than a 1 or 2 hour show. For a close show, I am trying to work from home, and that just doesn't work for me in most cases. I end up being a no-show/scratch, and ALL of my money is lost. If I plan one or 2 distant shows, arrange for barn help for several days, and let my breeders know I will not be available to collect, I can go show and relax. The barn people deal with I can't help them much better if I really am away.

Red face

In an average showing year -
    I will compete at 12-15 shows.
    I will drive an average of 4 hours to each show.
    I will pay between $200-2500 for entries per show.
    I will get my entries in on time NO matter what so as to avoid late fees.
    I will thank the show management, volunteers and the judges for their time & opinions.
    I will pat my horse(s) at the end of each day no matter where/how/what they placed.
    I will sleep in the trailer apartment to keep hotel costs to a minimum.
    I will return home and thank my parents for breeding my horses and for taking up the slack while I was away.
    I will post dates on the website that the stallion(s) are unavailable for breeding due to the trailer being in use elsewhere or make arrangements to have someone else's Jamco for the boys to travel to SBS in.

As for the recent breed show - we converted the stallion partition into a large (8' x 13') box stall for my colt and I camped in the trailer with him. That saved me at least $200 in motel & stabling fees, plus he still lives in the same barn as the broodmares and foals, so we try to minimize the germs he could bring home. The trip was 2 hours 40 minutes on the way down and 3 hours 50 minutes on the way home. I used (roughly) $160 of diesel. Food costs were about $30 (thank you Wendy for feeding me 2 lunches and 1 dinner - I owe you!).

Entry deadlines have always been a part of my life. Each spring I pull the Horse Calendar & Omnibus out and mark out the shows and mailing deadlines (figuring 7 days for it to get to the secretary) so that my entries arrive on time. Having done the CDI stuff - there is no arguing about a closing date & vaccination deadlines with the FEI.

I am not too into changing the way things are done as it requires me to plan out my year well in advance. Things operate better when I am organized. It sounds like on the other thread that show organizers have logical reasons for their closing dates, so it just makes sense to cooperate with their guidelines or pay the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    As for the recent breed show - we converted the stallion partition into a large (8' x 13') box stall for my colt and I camped in the trailer with him.
    I have converted my horse van into a box stall for a Horse Trial and my friends that stayed there (I had to go home) said he was a total pain trying to steal hay all night from their bed that was over the cab.

I have also set up my tack stall at Devon into a "hotel room" and slept there. (That is actually WONDERFUL!)

sporthorsefilly - trying to get votes to justify your hissy fit regarding the recent Morven Park Breed Show is an exercise in futility. Being rude to and (unjustly) calling a Show Secretary a liar on a public bulleting board is just plain bad manners, and there's really no justification for that, EVER.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Seigi,
    Thanks for the support. Let's see what becomes of this poll. I might yet glean something positive. I'm already thinking about those who's shows are so far away that they can't attend.
    Ever watchful,
    Lori
    I support and enable the USA bred horse and the USA breeder.

Really is quite amazing that no matter how an intellectual question is posed there are still those who must rush to spoil a simple poll.

Hopefully, normal people will reply and perhaps give ALL show people a chance to hear what people have to say.

Watermark, I was trailered right next to you. One day I would like a four horse head to head so that I too could convert it into a box stall.

Siegi...grow up.

sporthorsefilly - you may call it "intellectual", but I call it vindictive. As I said, no manners whatsoever!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

since I event, my opening dates are 6 weeks prior to the event with no refunds for cancelation after the closing date. I travel between 20 minutes and 2 1/2 hours and will do between 6-8 in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthorsefilly View Post
    Watermark, I was trailered right next to you. One day I would like a four horse head to head so that I too could convert it into a box stall.
    Ahhh, you should have snagged me and said hello!!! I always like to put a face with a COTH name!

Slightly OT - the Jamco has been a lifesaver as it is so adjustable (well as long as there are some strong people to help lift the partitions). We had a Hawk GN that was a 2 stall but 18' on the floor and it too was used for 'camping' but this has airtight seals on the doors in front of the horses riding backwards...so it is less noisy & smelly!

Seigi, Nothing vindictive, as I stated previously. You are reading in what you want to believe.

Tasker, thanks for the info, next time I will look for you.

How do you vote if you have a "combo" approach: most shows 1 hour or less away, plus 2 or 3 much further (5 or more hours) because they're too important to miss?

Your poll doesn't have an option for those willing to drive MORE than 3 hours to a show. Nevertheless, that is the option I selected.

One month lead time on closing dates doesn't bother me. I would of course much prefer a later closing date, but if it is a show I want to compete in, I will abide by their policies. They no doubt have a reason for requesting a one month lead time.

And the $50 post entry fee doesn't bother me either, although I didn't select that option. I get my entries in on time. If I don't, bad on me and I am willing to pay the penalty. I'm an adult, after all.

Also - I have been on the organizing end of horse activities (inspections, schooling shows, etc., etc.) I know how very time consuming it is to deal with the paperwork, scheduling, answering dozens and dozens of questions by phone, email, in person, etc., etc. The longer the lead time I can give myself, the more efficient the event will run and the less mistakes I make with scheduling, designing the show program, etc., and the more relaxed I can be come show day. If I am totally frazzled by show day from dealing with a bunch of last minute entries, it makes it much more difficult to deal with all the issues that invariably come up AT the show or inspection - and believe me, there are always PLENTY of issues to deal with (mostly caused by competitors who don't bother to READ what you send them, including the PRIZE LIST and ENTRY FORM!).

People who have little respect or sympathy for event organizers should spend a little time helping out at these events so they get a taste of all that goes on. It would be quite an eye opener.