The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free to Good Home Oldenburg gelding

19 year old dark bay Oldenburg gelding

A friend of mine got this horse for free four years ago. He was sitting in a pasture for 7 years, her vet told her about him as she was looking for a new trail horse. Her previous horse was being retired.

He is a registered oldenburg who had professional dressage training in his early years. He is excellent in the ring and excellent out on trail in a group. She got her own farm and moved him home. She has found that he lacks the confidence to be able to go out on trail by himself. Not bad but just nervous so not a good fit for her.

He is very low maintenance, low miles, has never had an unsound day. He also has great feet, barefoot behind. Light cribber but controlled with collar. Very easy around the barn. She just wants a good home for him as she has bought a new horse that is perfect for her.

A good home is a must as she obviously still cares about him. Thank you to anyone who will consider him!

link to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iglC1_ZzCJc

Please call Laurie: 919-479-8035

Located in Bahama, NC

Bumping up. Anyone have any ideas on what my friend could do? She is thinking of bringing him home from the trainer even though her husband said no. Their place really is too small to handle 3 horses (other horse hers and a boarder) and 2 miniature donkeys.

He's a sweet boy who just isn't happy being a trail horse when out by himself (fine in group. no truly naughty behavior, just tense) and my friend is in her mid fifties and really needed a horse with more confidence. She really wrestled with the idea of selling him or moving him along because she has always kept her horses/animals until the end of their lives.

How big is he? Does he have show experience (lower level)?

ETA: Would he make a good intermediate school horse? Our farm lost two good old schoolies in the past month.

He's 16.1. He might have show experience in his younger days (he did have a lot of professional training at the time) but definitely not in the last ten years.

My friend sent him to a trainer to get back into ring work (the video above) and Erin (the trainer) did say that he would make a great intermediate school horse, that he is not bothered by different types of riders. He's coming back from the trainer on Sunday, I can give you my friend's number if you are interested.

this is his ad: ignore the part where it has the price tag, my friend just wants a good home for him and will let him go for free.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/1993394...-carolina.html
    Last edited by Meshach; Jul. 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you! I am definitely going to talk to our head trainer about him! (She is at Great Lakes until Sunday)

Just PM'd trainer in TraverseCity--she is definitely interested and would like contact info!

ETA: More q's from trainer--would she be OK with him going out of state, and has he done any jumping?
    Last edited by RatWrangler; Jul. 16, 2015 at 07:18 PM.

Sent you a PM with info.

He looks like a good fella. If RanWrangler doesn't work out, she might consider talking to the local equine vets. They may know someone who is looking.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Got the word that Brig got adopted by a fairly local person, was picked up yesterday. Sounds like it will be a great home for him. Thank you to everyone for your interest!

2 members found this post helpful.