The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There are many legendary Holsteiner breeders in Germany that would disagree with you. Having a foal with chrome or who is chestnut is very undesirable there. The reason that they feel this way is that their foundation mares do not carry the genes for the chrome or chestnut and thus they feel like the refinement/improvement sires are coming through too strongly. Flip through the Holsteiner Hengstbuch and you will see how very few chestnut stallions are approved for that registry. They have to be truely spectacular, but even then the German farmers will not use the stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    I don't think color has anything to do with a horse's behavior.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

Personally, I thought it was a fun idea and certainly nothing to get into a dither about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Ditto that. Kudos to the OP for perpetuating this myth.
    Visit us on facebook!

Color affecting personality? A bunch of hooey. Probably someone eons ago, who had a black/grey/bay/palo etc horse to sell, made it up to talk someone out of buying the chestnut horse down the road.

I have a special ed case but he is a gelding...............of course he was a dummy foal so I blame everything on that. HA HA

Everything on my farm is a chestnut with the exception of my newest Escudo II filly and everything else is totally sane.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Grrrr..I get sick of stereotyping. A real horseman/woman would not make such a prejudiced statement. Think of all those Weltmeyer progeny that are fillies. I'd have one but have not noticed the price being down on them, or I'd be there.

I didn't think she said anything negative about them though.

I used to ride Appaloosas. I KNOW stereotyping!!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by showjumpers66 View Post
    There are many legendary Holsteiner breeders in Germany that would disagree with you. Having a foal with chrome or who is chestnut is very undesirable there. The reason that they feel this way is that their foundation mares do not carry the genes for the chrome or chestnut and thus they feel like the refinement/improvement sires are coming through too strongly. Flip through the Holsteiner Hengstbuch and you will see how very few chestnut stallions are approved for that registry. They have to be truely spectacular, but even then the German farmers will not use the stallion.
    If this is true, Holsteiner breeders must be the only ones who feel that way. Certainly Hanoverian and Westphalian breeders don't. Or TB breeders either. As I recall Secretariat was chesnut with a lot of chrome, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by showjumpers66 View Post
    Personally, I thought it was a fun idea and certainly nothing to get into a dither about.
    Not in a "dither" here, I simply disagree with the idea and don't understand what would be "fun" about perpetuating a myth. But, hey, you must have a barn full of dark horses. Personally, I've owned just about every color there is, except for some of those cremellos/smokies and have not ever thought about color influencing personality, it just seems silly to me.

f4leggin, Hah! You have exactly described my Trakehner chestnut mare!
    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

I have a 16.3 Oldenburg solid chestnut (with a star) LOVELY mare - full sister to CTF. She's the BEST MARE I'VE EVER SAT ON!!! She's quiet, a lovely mover...........I call her my "riding lawn mower" as when I jump down a line if I SAY 'whoa" quietly or sit up she slows down! (like getting off the seat of a mower or tractor and it stops). She has lovely ground manners, let's me clip her, stands tied to the trailer at a show.........whatever is fine with her! She's coming eight this year and is in foal to Rosenthal.......She had a lovely Paparazzo filly a few years ago.
    She was injured as a three year old.......got her legs stuck IN the wall of her stall overnight....I lwalked out to find her hanging there (blood everywhere) and she patiently waited for me to get help........had a LOT of doctoring on her hind leg necrosis......and even the UF commented on what a sweet mare she was and how she allowed us to do all that messing with her hind legs (now mind you, this was a barely broken 3 year old mare at the time).
    Luckily she's fine now (I bred her to let her heal earlier and loved the foal so much did so again.......unfortunately she's too related to my stallions!)
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Yep! We only have 3 chestnuts on the property, although we do have 3 palominos and a buckskin. Primarily, everything is bay or bay that turned grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Not in a "dither" here, I simply disagree with the idea and don't understand what would be "fun" about perpetuating a myth. But, hey, you must have a barn full of dark horses. Personally, I've owned just about every color there is, except for some of those cremellos/smokies and have not ever thought about color influencing personality, it just seems silly to me.
    Visit us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by tntpony View Post
    She will back anyone into the corner of her stall until they scratch her behind.
    Too funny...she must have had a conversation or two with my Fire! I remember when I boarded Fire, before I got my own place...one day, the guy who was cleaning stalls was heard calling for help (he was about 5'4" and 100 lb. soaking wet) and when we went to investigate, Fire had him pinned in the corner of her stall with her butt, insisting on scratches and not taking no for an answer! He just didn't have the leverage/strength to get out of there! Every time he moved, she thought he was "massaging" her and she scrubbed back! His feet weren't even flat on the ground by the time we got to him...she had inched him up the wall in her efforts! I think it took a few minutes to get him out of there...there were 3 of us who responded to his call but we were all laughing so hard we couldn't effectively get her off of him!
    Fire is a total DIVA in every sense of the world. She is aptly named, as she is a flame-red TB mare, with a personality to go with the color. She was born with a sense of Entitlement, and accepts adulation (and goodies) with grace and dignity. She can and will, however, get her nose severely out of joint if she feels that she is being slighted in any way! Back in the day, she was a tremendous competitor, eventing through prelim and doing dressage through PSG. She was a ham and a show-off, coming down center line with a "Everybody look at me NOW...I have arrived on the scene!" attitude. She has mellowed somewhat with age and motherhood (she is now 25) and she is now my schoolmaster, still totally sound and teaching new riders how it's done in her precious, gentle way. When I get on however, which I'm prone to do every once in a while for $#its and giggles, she doesn't hesitate to remind me that she still has turbo boosters and ain't afraid to use them! My Fire Lady is my heart. I have raised her from a baby and she has given me everything in the world that is in her power to give, including a son that is a bay copy of herself in personality, and I give thanks every day for the honor and privilege of having her in my life.

Katja

I adore my chestnut mare. She is a total diva and absolutely convinced that the world revolves around her (or SHOULD revolve around her!). She is very sweet with people, but is very possessive of her “space” regarding other horses. She can make an “ugly mare face” with the best of them if other horses get too close to her in the washrack or her stall or the arena, and she will squeal and kick out at feeding time if other horses walk past her stall. She can sometimes be a bit bullish on the ground with inexperienced handlers and has occasionally needed a little reminder about “charm school”, and she does occasionally work herself into a frenzy over the silliest thing – a horse kicking in a trailer, for instance – usually things related to loud, percussive sounds that she can’t identify. OTOH, she is pretty calm and non-spooky most of the time and is the quietest horse in the barn in the wash rack (never utters a peep, doesn’t paw or dance around, etc., no matter how long she stands there). She is also very quiet at feeding time when all the other horses are screaming their heads off (unless a horse walks past her stall – then watch out!). The very best part is that she is a DREAM to ride. She was incredibly easy to start under saddle – has never bucked, reared or bolted – and she happily packs ME around (a pushing 60 re-rider) but can also can do some LOVELY dressage work with my trainer. She is also very tolerant of different riders – just tries to figure out what they want and do it. Everyone who rides her is amazed at how easy she is and how much fun she is. My trainer and I are crazy about her.