The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To tape or not to tape....??

I wil be doing a low level (tadpole) combined training show in about a month or so. I plan on braiding my pony, but I was wondering(Im new to the whole CT/dressage stuff) would it look out of place if I put the white braiding tape around his braids?

I wouldn't say out of place but something to consider...

I don't know what color your horse is, but just be aware that if your horse has a dark mane and you put white tape on the braids it makes whatever the horse is doing with it's neck very apparent. Any issues with bend, poll height, tension, etc. will be even more obvious to the judge. So, at lower levels it may draw too much attention to little errors!

Good luck at the show!

Thanks. Fortunantly, my horse is a palomino paint so his mane is pretty light.

I wouldn't. For me, the white braids are for the higher levels. Give him nice braids that show off his neck best, make him super clean and shiny and that's your turnout sorted.

Good luck!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Wink

Unless braids are absolutely even, and of uniform size, tape looks awful.

And for CT I'd skip it. Sometimes there is barely enough time to unbraid w/o dealing with tape.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Very few people use tape for dressage any more. It was all the rage years ago, but you almost never see it at dressage shows now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I still love it though & still see quite a bit on the horses in Europe. I wish it'd come back & be used more here.

You really don't need to braid for a CT - lower level or not - most people just aren't going to be braided (at least, not in my area - Area II if you are an eventer).
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

I think the nice bands that are gold (since palomino) or silver ones are nice for a slight touch of color. I also think tape is a bit 70/80's. If you like tape, the other comments about really really needing it to be done correctly and straight are important....bad tape job is really bad to look at.

I know it was very popular years ago but now - unless the job is really really good - I'd say don't do it. I do love the new trend towards fewer larger braids.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

maybe skip the tape - I tend to cringe when I see it, because most of the time it seems like it's used to hold the braids together instead of highlight the beautiful shape of the horse's neck..

and besides, if your braids are gorgeous, tape is not needed!

Old timer here, I came from a time when all manes at all levels were taped to show off the topline and accentuate the correct bearing in the horse, plus then you can braid (with rubber bands) in about 10 minutes start to finish with taping (12-15 evenly spaced braids). I love how it looks (as a judge). Dont care for the 25 braids a la hunter, unless thats what you are doing.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Do it if you want but it's not in fashion at the moment. I always kinda liked it and I can do the rubber band braiding Ideayoda mentioned very quickly and it looks nice, but I wouldn't be caught dead doing that right now at the bigger venues we have here.