The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Donna DeValerio Guest

Default custom saddles

Looking for feedback about custom saddles. Wondering about ordering a Spirig or a Schleese...Pros and cons Any advice from people who have ridden in either or?

Schleese's were too flat for me.

try a generic size before you order!

The Amerigos are nice too. I ended up with a Vega. Dang thing is made for my butt for sure.

What exactly is meant by 'custom'?

Most companies let you pick flap length, seat size, and tree size..isn't that enough?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Default Custom saddles

If the manufacturer knows what they're doing, theyshould be the ones assisting you in deciding on the correct sizes for each of these components of your saddle. Most people don't really know what they don't know... which means let the experts do their job. That's what custom really means.And that's why it costs more...although nowadays everybody calls everything custom, whether it truly is or not.

Dont know about the 2 brands you mentioned, but my trained has a County that I ride in sometimes and it is AMAZING! Not a bad thing about it.

I love my Schleese

Talking

I have ordered two custom saddles from Schleese and I love them both- they are deep and have big knee rolls and I can NOT come off...LOL! (Since I have a young and spirited horse- this is a big bonus).
    The measurements of the horse were taken twice before the saddles were made and delivered- about 2 hours of final fitting were spent and the seat was made to what I wanted- which is easiest done by being very up front and clear about what kind of seat you like and enjoy- knowing your physique and horses and requirements.
    Schleese has strongly improved the 'rider feel ' of the saddle and I would now completely set it in comparison to the Custom- which I always thought had the best 'rider fit'.
    What I love about the Schleese is the extremely well thought out 'horse fit' which makes the horses movement freer and doesn't sit ever on the shoulder - which a lot of saddles do.
    It also is made to provide a wide gullet and use the 'fleshy' part of the horse's spine to sit on- which gives overall really good movement and unrestricted freedom for the horse.
    So- for a true custom saddle- I would definitely highly recommend the Schleese saddle.
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    I love my Schleese
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I have ordered two custom saddles from Schleese and I love them both- they are deep and have big knee rolls and I can NOT come off...LOL! (Since I have a young and spirited horse- this is a big bonus).
    The measurements of the horse were taken twice before the saddles were made and delivered- about 2 hours of final fitting were spent and the seat was made to what I wanted- which is easiest done by being very up front and clear about what kind of seat you like and enjoy- knowing your physique and horses and requirements.
    Schleese has strongly improved the 'rider feel ' of the saddle and I would now completely set it in comparison to the Custom- which I always thought had the best 'rider fit'.
    What I love about the Schleese is the extremely well thought out 'horse fit' which makes the horses movement freer and doesn't sit ever on the shoulder - which a lot of saddles do.
    It also is made to provide a wide gullet and use the 'fleshy' part of the horse's spine to sit on- which gives overall really good movement and unrestricted freedom for the horse.
    So- for a true custom saddle- I would definitely highly recommend the Schleese saddle.
    What they said. Every time I sit in my Schleese saddle I appreciate how comfortable it is and how well it puts me in the right position. My mare truly appreciates how well they can readjust it (flocking and tree as needed) to fit her changing body as she matures and develops musculature. I have a Schleese dressage saddle and I'm thinking I may get a hunter/jumper saddle in the relatively near future. I can't imagine going with any other saddle after I've watched horse after horse and rider after rider have "aha" moments when correctly fitted with a Schleese, including myself and my mare.

Donna DeValerio Guest

How long did it take from measurement to delivery with Schleese? Did they come to you? How about refitting? How often do you have the fit checked and reflocked? Are they good to work with when you need adjustments made? They have the adjustable tree, has anyone ever had to have the tree size changed. My mare is in the early stages of Dressage and I assume that there will be still more muscling and changes to come. I think I am going to try sitting in a couple of used ones before I make my decision

My First Schleese took 3 months to get. My second one I got right away. They fit it on the spot. They change the tree size right away with a machine that they have. I bought one because I was on my third saddle with my young Friesian and was sick of buying saddles. He kept changing so much. If cost is a factor you can buy a used one from them and they'll fit it to your horse. I would suggest calling them and see if they will be in your area. They are usually at Equine Affaires too.
    Friesians Rule !!

Right now I'm dealing with fittings several times a year, but my mare is young in training time and still developing form and muscles. The detailed measurements they take tell the tale on the changes. Then when they make the adjustments I can feel the difference and my mare tells the tale on how nice it is that the saddle once again fits very comfortably. I'm told that soon enough it will resolve to once a year, but while she's "evolving" it's fantastic that I can have a saddle adjusted rather than go through the saddle selling/buying process. The other benefit to having a saddle fitted with Schleese, whether used or new, is that you learn so much about why we do what we do and why the horse is responding to an improper/proper fitting saddle. And I know that my saddle is designed for my mare, complete with her wide spine and short back, so she is comfortable and can move well in it. To top it off, it's such a relief to rely on their expertise of riders (fitted just as well) and horses.

My saddle took 2 months from measurements to arrival last summer. Sometimes they have a new or used one with them (they bring bunches for trying on horses/riders) that works for you and they fit it then and there.

Be sure to check out their website for additional information.
    Last edited by Sanely Eccentric; Jun. 20, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added in time notes

Quote Originally Posted by friesian4me View Post
    ..... I bought one because I was on my third saddle with my young Friesian and was sick of buying saddles. He kept changing so much.....
    I find it's pretty cool to see the changes through their detailed measurements as my mare changes. I was excited last time to see that both sides are almost symmetrical now and she's developing more through her back. Plus, no more buying/selling saddles and trying to figure out the newest fit. Loff the Schleese people and saddle.

A vote for Spirig here! Excellent folks to deal with, and I have never ridden in a saddle that feels as good, even when I am in one that doesn't fit me.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Donna DeValerio View Post
    How long did it take from measurement to delivery with Schleese? Did they come to you? How about refitting? How often do you have the fit checked and reflocked? Are they good to work with when you need adjustments made? They have the adjustable tree, has anyone ever had to have the tree size changed. My mare is in the early stages of Dressage and I assume that there will be still more muscling and changes to come. I think I am going to try sitting in a couple of used ones before I make my decision
    They come to our barn every 3 months- in person with Jochen. We just changed the tree on my big guy because of major changes in his topline (related to training and accident/bodywork).
    They are very reliable to work with and everything is explained. Your area should have a rep that organizes the clinics- you might want to get in touch with that person at first- they are listed on the website.
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

I bought mine used, but when I went to fitting Jochen Schleese was there and just kind of nodded and said, "you're lucky, this saddle is right for you and your horse." And it is

I didn't get the best fitting because I was not really riding yet (injury) so I got ponied around rather than putting in a good workout. I suspect I'll have to have it refit sometime in the next year.

I bought a big australian saddle to make me feel more secure as I went back, but as Sabine mentioned my Schleese has some hefty knee blocks and is very deep (it is an Infinity) and I was thinking on my last trail ride that the Aussie isn't really an improvement, just due to the fact that it feels kind of slippery and doesn't just put my butt and legs where they are supposed to be. The Schleese feels like a western saddle compared to my old Duett, it's that secure.

I have a Spirig, it's terrific! I did buy it used and had it adjusted to my horse. I was looking for one of these and they are out there, but harder to find, as Spirig does not make that many saddles. On the other hand, Schleese seems to churn out many saddles.

I did have a custom Schleese several years ago, did not care for it and although it was very comfortable for me, it was hard to feel close to the horse. Frankly, I am not a fan of custom saddles any more, I've just seen too many unhappy riders after the long wait, from a few different companies.

With the price of custom saddles these days....I guess you have to ask yourself, do you really need a custom? There are so many used saddles out there, some barely broken in, find a good used one and have it adjusted if it fits your horse reasonably well.