The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default QH Event Prospect?

Hoping to get peoples thoughts on whether I'd be crazy to take on this project horse - with the hopes of finding a home for him as a lower level eventer.

Stats: approx. 12 years old, 15.3ish, QH (don't know if he is registered), $200, sound (Id do a vet check to confirm), used as a ranch horse, very forward, loves people - extremely sweet, sure footed, bold...

There are a few pics of him on the link below - I'll try to put some better ones of him up later tonight. FYI he is standing downhill in the first picture, and uphill in the second.

I'm not great at conformation - seems like he doesn't have a great butt? He barely ever gets worked right now because hes not a good guest horse though (- he can be unpredictable with novice riders and hes more of a one person kind of guy... ) so im thinking this could just be lack of muscle? Any opinions? Is 12 too old with only western training up to this point?

Here is the link: - http://www.flickr.com/photos/14562392@N02/

You really can't tell what his hip looks like from any of those pictures....... they are all taken from a front/ shoulder angle. I would check him out....... ride him and for $200.00 buy him! I have found that ranch horses around here readily turn into low level eventers.

Bobbi

I think those pictures are at weird angles... at least, I hope so.

I think most reasonably athletic horses can at least go novice... so I would say depends on what level you want to compete.
    "Real magic can never be made by offering someone else's liver. You must tear out your own, and not expect to get it back. The true witches know that." ~ Peter S. Beagle

Okay Ive updated the link to show all the pictures I have of him - please scroll down to see more confo-type shots (I don't know how to re-organize them on flickr)

thanks!!

I think he is absolutely adorable, and looks like the good sort who could do a little of whatever you wanted to do with him.

I can't see the legs very well, but he looks pretty well balanced. For the price, if he is sound I would take a chance on him.

Four words for ya: Bonner Carpenter, Acapulco Jazz!

He's the QH @ Rolex...don't get much better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    Four words for ya: Bonner Carpenter, Acapulco Jazz!

He's the QH @ Rolex...don't get much better than that!

I loved watching that horse go, but back to the horse at hand he looks lovely and cheap if he vets sound I would go for it. Keep us updated and good luck!

He's built like my horse! Not much TB in that QH, but lots of foundation in there. We are doing lower level stuff and our problem is dressage. He was ridden western and trail ridden for years, and now, at 10 years old, I am making him into my little event horse. It's been a fun 'ride'. I vote GET HIM, and keep us posted.

Yeah, he's beautiful, I would get him if he vets out. Not that it matters but I love his color .

As per your question turning a western horse of 12 into an english one, I don't think its a huge transition, just do everything slowly as he's probably used to a curb bit and minimum contact, so just take things one step at a time and he'll be fine! Pop him over a log or two before you buy him to see how he handles obstacles.

I think he is very cute! Looks like he has some nice solid legs as well. Id go for it! And it doesnt hurt that he is a trendy colour.

Ranch horses ROCK. They don't spook easily, they keep their minds on task, they are good souls. If he doesn't "take" to eventing, you can sell him as a children's horse (or trail horse, or...). Former ranch horses are worth their weight in gold in terms of teaching kids/adults to ride.

My old gelding event partner was a ranch horse in his former life. He "outgrew" it and was sold b/c he got tooooooo tall! No one wanted to have to get back on the 16.3+H beastie way out in the middle of a flat nowhere.

He was brave as anything and had seen/done most anything you could think of, which translated well to eventing.

See if that guy is a willing jumper and sound, and if so, go for it. BN/N dressage isn't a big deal and doesn't take a fancy moving dressage dynamo.

Talking

That's just a little less then I paid for my QH mare. She is unbroke and was a broodmare, she is my "event prospect". I don't expect to do upper level stuff, so I am sure we will do just fine. The gelding looks nice and if he is sound I would say go for it. I just love a project!