The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    So this will be my last show for a couple months.
    No kidding. Between gas, hay, grain and bedding, my home gas/electric bills, I find my show schedule is considerably less ambitious this year.

Last year I did 14 A or AA shows and this year I haven't gone to my THIRD one yet and for some reason the whole affair feels more financially painful. I planned on showing a lot less this year. Last year I was about as point hoor as I can get (although to be a proper point hoor in this zone you need to knock on 20 shows' doors) and this year, that was NOT the plan. But damn, I thought for sure I'd be at more shows before the show year was more than half over!

It makes me wonder if/when the show managers will feel the pinch? My friend was at Conyers yesterday and said it was packed. Is that maybe more southerners who might have done KY or the NE (Lake Placid/Vermont) staying closer to home or just the same old same old?
    I'm sorry... Did I just roll my eyes out loud?

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    No kidding. Between gas, hay, grain and bedding, my home gas/electric bills, I find my show schedule is considerably less ambitious this year.

Last year I did 14 A or AA shows and this year I haven't gone to my THIRD one yet and for some reason the whole affair feels more financially painful. I planned on showing a lot less this year. Last year I was about as point hoor as I can get (although to be a proper point hoor in this zone you need to knock on 20 shows' doors) and this year, that was NOT the plan. But damn, I thought for sure I'd be at more shows before the show year was more than half over!

It makes me wonder if/when the show managers will feel the pinch? My friend was at Conyers yesterday and said it was packed. Is that maybe more southerners who might have done KY or the NE (Lake Placid/Vermont) staying closer to home or just the same old same old?
    Ya, this will be my 4th AA show in 6 weeks and that's enough! KY is packed for the Country Heir show. It seems pretty low key compared to the KY may shows but it's still full. I'm going to do a couple little local shows in July with Aero (baby) and that will be way less stress and way less dollars.

Default Hay

I just posted to another thread on showing.

I volunteer at a local schooling show and our attendance was way up for the first show of our seasons this year. I think everyone is staying closer to home. We also had a much higher quality of horse at our show and many people we've never seen before joined out club to participate in our year end awards.

So the positive side is our show was declining for years and now we have a chance to make some money, possibly put it towards better fences, etc. for our shows.

Default Hay 2

PS: And, we are definitely much, much cheaper to show than As or even Cs.

The horse show "pyramid" is the worst form of reverse Robin Hood Syndrome...robbing (metaphorically) from the poor to subsidize the rich(upper level competitors)!!! Sad, but true.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    PS: And, we are definitely much, much cheaper to show than As or even Cs.
    The problem for me, and other jumper riders as well, is that the local shows wont take the time to drag, change the course, and make it interesting for us. Simply drawing a new line around a hunter course really doesn't do it for me. I would love to support the local shows more but since they don't prep me for the big shows i.e., no combinations, no big fences, it doesn't make sense to go unless I'm taking a baby to just get him exposed to horseshows.

Default Another option - outside the box

A couple weeks ago my kids and I loaded up their hunter ponies and my dressage horse and entered the "Extreme Cowboy Challenge." Granted, the jumps, which included a triple made of large logs and some steps (think eventing) were no more than 2'3", and we did have to make it past the first obstacle which was a donkey and some goats in a kennel (better than being chased around the course by a whippet). We didn't come close to placing but we had a blast.

The costs were as follows:

Entry fees: $35 each.
    Grounds fee: None
    Membership Fee: None
    Shaving/Stalls: None
    DVD of each of us, edited, set to music and mailed: $35 each
    Barbeque all you can eat lunch: $5 each
    Youth benefit auction with some cute items I couldn't resist: $45

Total cost for a very fun day at the show for 3 of us: $270.

I can actually afford to show in the As, but why would I want to?

i take my girls to the Santa Barbara Ntl every year, they love that show. its always fun and generally very well run. BUT this year- when you almost need to refinance to pay for the gas to get there, the entry fee increase is just unbearable. we usually go all week, this year i am thinking 2 days tops. to ride in 1 division (jumpers), w/ all the fees and gas its easily a 750/day.

i am seriously considering calling the entire thing off and hitting the beach w/ the horses instead.

Default Hay 3

Tidyrabbit:

That's unfortunately what we do, keep the fences where they are and then just redraw a new course...HOWEVER thank you for the comment, that is something we could change for future..especially if we continue growing?!?! Especially if we can afford better, nicer jumps and really up our quality.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I showed for 2 days at KY last week, and I'm going back this Thursday. It cost me $832.52 FOR TWO DAYS with one horse. NOW that is rediculous. That does not include my 200 worth of shavings or my trainers bills or my hotel. So this will be my last show for a couple months. It makes one think about going to the hunter ring and doing the big classes there for 135 bucks or whatever they pay per division.

We were trying to do this as well, just get into Country Heir and do the tail end of the Ch/AA Jumpers. Honestly, no braids, no full care, muck and feed ourselves, trailer in morning of and need a stall for only one night. We fortunately didn't even need a hotel and the trainers fee was nill and we STILL couldn't justify spending nearly a grand for less than 10 minutes in the ring over 2 days. And it was Country Heir, not even the big Spring or Summer shows. Unbelieveable. We stayed home.

$225 stall (which we needed for two nights, tops)
    $ 50 'processing fee'
    $200 nomination
    $150 for division
    ------
    $625 without bedding or any of the membership/association fees

and tack on another $500 if you want a chance of winning ANY decent money for the classic entry fee. Holy cow, $1125!
    We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another
    EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

To everyone who is saying save money by braiding your own and such, please note the OP is not commenting on the cost of braiding and already notes about bringing her own shavings.

I believe the OPs point is that horse shows are adding so many fees that before you pay for your classes and other real expenses you are already out an arm and a leg.

I too remember when paying for a stall meant it came with saw dust or shavings already in it and no extra shavings disposal fee on top of that.

Things are crazy, that is for sure.

Let me add that some of us just can not braid. No matter how hard we try, our fingers can not make that work, and yes it is frustrating.

yep, trubandloki is correct.....I don't have to braid (I show in the jumpers only) and on my rare forays into the hunter ring I braid my own horses. In addition I do just about everything a person can do to keep it cheaper for myself....I don't ride with a trainer therefore I have no trainer fees, I've always done my own grooming, I try to minimize the food I eat on show grounds, etc, etc.

In regards to the jumper nominating fee (if I recall correctly), it used to be the fee you paid so that you could enter and scratch classes without the usual fees. It started (at least in this area) up at the Canada shows and at the time I thought it was much better to pay the jumper nominating fee and be able to figure out classes on a day to day basis without paying late fees. Somehow, though, it turned into a simple fee that doesn't mean anything (other than the fact that you have to pay it to walk into the grand prix field).

And if it rains and the Grand Prix field stays closed you have to nomionate to the sand ring and you dont get your Grand Prix field nomination back. Will be interesting to see if shows lose entries or if clients just suck it up.

I was looking at an entry form the other day and on top of the office fees, membership fees, number fee, etc... they were actually charging a $10 trophy fee. Explain that one!!! What exactly are the entry fees for if we have to then pay a special fee for the awards????

The fact that the first of the summer A Circuit shows here in Colo is saying they are sold out of stalls makes me think show management won't be listening to all this.

BTW, I agree with all of it.

Please.....the entries and costs are outrageous. The nomination fee is completely insane. Many of these shows have sponsored divisions so the prize money is already paid for. In addition - you're lucky if you win back the entry fee with a 5th or 6th place ribbon. Many of the shows down here don't even offer Jr.AO jumper classics - so you're paying a fortune to go and can't even really win good money to help bills AND to qualify for indoors. I spend half my time searching out shows that actually HAVE decent classics - and yet I know they're making the money in the nominations and entries from our division to justify the classes!!!!

I used to be able to win enuff to cover my big jumper stuff and now I'm in the hole all the time even when I do well. That coupled with the obvious footing issues that have plagued a lot of facilities recently. I don't know the solution - but I think collectively something has to give or we are all gonna do a lot less showing. I say bag the mileage rule and let some of these shows "compete" for real......it would force the shows to work harder for our business and focus on hearing what the exhibitors are asking for!

Default me too

I simply can't justify the expense right now. I have a greenie that's good enough to take the big shows, but since she still has some really "green" days, it doesn't seem worth it. Instead, we're getting milage with fox hunting and some hunter trials and HTs and schooling shows. I miss the big shows, but it's just not worth it- and I'm another one that already does everything myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    The fact that the first of the summer A Circuit shows here in Colo is saying they are sold out of stalls makes me think show management won't be listening to all this.

BTW, I agree with all of it.
    I think this is the first year that the sour economy is being felt across the board, and I do believe it is being felt across the classes, some can just deal with it better than others (obviously the uber rich ) I also think that this year everyone is crossing fingers and hoping it all goes away . . . but if the economic downslide continues through the winter, if it becomes clearly more than a "slump", I think you will see the effects next year.
    Last edited by dags; Jun. 18, 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: effects vs. affects . . . and I'm still not sure I got it right . . .
    We don't have to agree on anything to be kind to one another
    EHJ | FB | #140 | watch | #insta

I hate when shows charge a jumper nominating fee....
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

I have been in over 2000 horse shows in my life and now can't even consider the $1200+ it takes to do one. I did one earlier this year and had a good show and ended up paying about $325 after winnings. The next week not so good and with some extra stuff (golf cart, extra grooming stall split) was over $1400.

Here's the real rub: the people who can afford this stuff are the sort that don't do their own work, can't everyone of them get their tack on right if they were called on to do it and have the trainer set up their horses. Middle income kids with nice horses and some true talent are shut out because of the expenses. There are a lot of people at the local level that would tear them up if they could afford the big shows. And the prize money, if any at all might reduce your bill by a third if you are very successful.

There are a very few gazillionaires that put on these shows and just become richer and richer. Unfortunately they are not good stewarts of the sport and have run the sport down to ridicoulous levels. Then the local shows try to get on the same program with high fees for nothing. $25 secretary fee times 150 horses, but the secretary gets $375 for show. EMT fee same thing.

I keep saying I could go on a cruise for that money and at least I would remember that.
    That's some bad hat Harry