The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Accuracy of Predict A Foal

My Predict A Foal has been changing to 4 squares since Sunday. The booklet states that there is an 80% probability with 4 squares that the mare will foal in 24 hours...still no foal.

Anyone have any insight?

We used those for years but then found pH/calcium tests are much, much better. We had a mare stay at 5 squares for 4 days last year, so I feel your pain. This year the new method worked perfectly for all 4 mares.

It seems the key to foaling prediction is high calcium paired with LOW pH (basically the properties of colostrum). I just bought simple aquarium water test strips from Walmart for $10 and they worked like a CHARM.

Just mix water and milk sample 6:1 (6cc distilled water to 1 cc milk, or 3cc to .5cc if you can't get that much). Then dip the strip and read. Very easy!

Initially calcium will be low (less than 25ppm) and pH will be high (8.4+). As time goes on, calcium will climb and pH will decline. All of our mares foaled within 6 to 36 hours of when the test hit 250+ppm and 6.2-6.4 (LOW 6's) pH. I jumped the gun a couple times wanting to see the pH lower than the actual reading - but once it was undeniably LOW 6's they went pretty quickly.

It was much more accurate than the PAF strips, even though those usually get you pretty close. But this pH test would probably eliminate waiting on the mare who is 250+ppm (probably 4 squares on test) but pH is still high - you would know you could sleep that night!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

<grin>..Yeah. She's in the 20% that isn't going to foal! Mare is a four letter word! Sleep deprivation is an ugly thing! And, 20% is a LOT of room for "play". Good luck!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com

EllenAspen is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

I'm off to Wal Mart at lunch time to get a aquarium water tester!!! Tx for the advice...

I use Predict a Foal and have had great success with it. I've never been more than 24 hours off..........and usually know what night they'll foal (but not what time, haha)
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

My one mare was in the "90% chance of foaling within 12 hour" range for a week.

My next mare was in the 90% range for 3 days

Needless to say, I am NOT a fan of the Predict A Foal and wouldnt waste money buying it again

I figured it out by checking the other physical signs more than I relied on the Predict A Foal to be very honest ...

I used it this year and I think I read it wrong for about a week. The first two were a solid color change, the second two were changing but not completely and the fifth one was solid green. I was thinking (and hoping ) that was 4 squares and it definately wasn't. I, like you, got that reading for about 5 days and my husband finally told me I was nuts.

Anway, my advice is than the square has to make a VERY dramatic color change to count. Next year I'm getting the strips that were suggested.

Good luck!

It took me a few times to know how to read Predict a Foal.......but now I know. When it lights up "like a Christmas Tree).........all at once (not waiting the full minute hoping the last one will get there) and the milk turns "skim milk whte"........I know "tonight's the night".

I have friends who taste the milk, and say when it turns sweet.........and gets sticky......that is the sign!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I actually like PAF a lot. I agree, it's about how FAST all the squares change.

This may help too though:

http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/sho...=milk+test+101
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

If you will just use one test, the Chemetrics Test, you will stop losing sleep and be able to know what your mares are doing. This isnt Rocket Science ladies and gentleman. Its just a test that tells you the truth. The test, and watching your mares.......its just simple. I have had 8 foal so far this year. I have been up a total of two nights with all of them.
    I don't know about the others. They seem silly when I think about all of these threads of people up night after night after night watching their mares.
    Even those sneaky ones can be caught (well, mostly LOL). Those that were not caught were my fault. I should have checked them and didnt. I check every one now. Even if they have little or no bag.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

My PAF is the one who "lit up like a Christmas tree" bing bang boom for a flipping week

Those squares changed colour as soon as I pulled them out so every night I thought - great - tonight has GOT to be the night!

Nope ...

For me, I wouldnt use the kit again. I will try Chemetrics or the pool test strips and see if I have better luck with them

Original Poster

I was the OP on this thread. Based on the advice...I ran out to Wal Mart and bought the Baqua pool test strips. When I tested her that afternoon her ph was below 6.8 (lowest on the strip) and her Ca was between 200 to 400. I also did the PAF and the squares changed some what slowly to 4 1/2...

About 3 hours later I checked her again and the ph changed even a more brilliant orange...lower ph. And her Ca was between 400 and 1000. Also, her milk had changed to a skim milk like look...and slightly sweet...very easy to express enough for the test.

I slept in the barn right outside her stall door on a futon that night. I got up about 4am to use the facilities. She stuck her head out and we visited. I lay back down and just watched her. At 4:15 she circled her stall twice and went down. By 4:30 we had our new colt.

Maiden mare...no pawing the ground for hours, no sweating, biting at belly...

Below is the new arrival...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ditto day 1.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	21459  

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

FWIW, *any* type of strip, but particularly the Predict-A-Foal can be damaged by heat, cold, dampness etc.

I had a kit left on the doorstep by UPS on a night it went well below freezing. Strips were toast. The company did send replacements, FedEx at no charge. One other time, they all changed to lightish purple right away. I suspected an issue, company had me test something else (I forget what, lemon juice?) and sent new ones.

The grand thing about the spa strips is it's around $10 for FIFTY of them. So replacing them isn't a problem, and you can also test to your heart's content.

I do plan to use them side-by-side with Chemetrics next year, just because everyone's so insistent Chemetrics is SO much better. Have to get the mares bred first.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I used the PAF for several years. Went to Chemetrics in 1999. I like the very definite numbers that I get from Chemetrics, but the spa strips seem to work well, too. The PAF give way too many false alarms for my taste.

Default Congratulations!!!

Congratulations on your new colt. He is very cute and love his face markings. Can't wait to see more pictures.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

Congrats!!! He is darling!!

Glad the pool strips worked for you too - our last mare went from 6.6 to 6.2 or so over a few hours and then foaled 4 hours later. The pH is a godsend to me!

Again, congrats!
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    We used those for years but then found pH/calcium tests are much, much better. We had a mare stay at 5 squares for 4 days last year, so I feel your pain. This year the new method worked perfectly for all 4 mares.

It seems the key to foaling prediction is high calcium paired with LOW pH (basically the properties of colostrum). I just bought simple aquarium water test strips from Walmart for $10 and they worked like a CHARM.

Just mix water and milk sample 6:1 (6cc distilled water to 1 cc milk, or 3cc to .5cc if you can't get that much). Then dip the strip and read. Very easy!

Initially calcium will be low (less than 25ppm) and pH will be high (8.4+). As time goes on, calcium will climb and pH will decline. All of our mares foaled within 6 to 36 hours of when the test hit 250+ppm and 6.2-6.4 (LOW 6's) pH. I jumped the gun a couple times wanting to see the pH lower than the actual reading - but once it was undeniably LOW 6's they went pretty quickly.

It was much more accurate than the PAF strips, even though those usually get you pretty close. But this pH test would probably eliminate waiting on the mare who is 250+ppm (probably 4 squares on test) but pH is still high - you would know you could sleep that night!

What's the name on this wal mart box of strips? in the fish department?
    I have 3 more foals upcoming in August-- so I will compare to chemetrics.
    Currently--I use physical signs, the milk taste test and chemetrics & I generally do not miss many nights of sleep nor do I miss many births
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

: ) : )
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Original Poster

What's the name on this wal mart box of strips? in the fish department?
    Wind Swept Farm...I bought Baqua...at Wal Mart in the pool supply department.