The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Right on Melinda. Exactly as I heard it was.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverponies View Post
    Sandy, you are right. Last year there were some beautiful ponies that did not sell because they were too hard for a kid to do or they were an iffy size - like a 3 yr old crossbred right at 14.2hh. Most people were not interested so much in a show record on a young pony - say 3 to 5 yrs old - but were more interested in whether the kid could get right on and ride that pony around at least a simple course. And of course, if the pony was beautiful, a great mover and had a lead change, the show record didnt seem to matter if a kid could do the ride.
    Quicksilver, while that makes sense, certainly, I wonder though how it showed up in the results. I can't see why an easy pony wouldn't sell, but for how much? That's the question, isn't it? How much w/o the record vs. with, especially when one notices that most of those that got into the 20s had the record?

And as I think about it more, for the breeder, this could be really, really important. Does "inexpensive mileage" pay? I can truck ponies to lots of local shows and I've got access to 2-3 very effective young-pro riders and, if it were worthwhile, could plead my way into even good kid riders...but does that pay off sufficiently without the show mileage? I would love, love, love to pull that out of the data or enough anecdotes to fold it into a PLAN, y'know what I mean? I've had enough walk into the ring and win first time out (under riders who've never or rarely ridden them before) to believe with the right type, rideability is easy enough--but I need to know if it'd make jsut as much sense to stop there (at fancy, well-and-fully trained and easy). I'm sitting on a three-year-old right now trying to decide how to plot out her course.

What do you think?

Oh, Oh! Let me add (I hope some folks see this and discuss it!): LEAD CHANGES. Now there's a directly relevant topic. I'm inclined to wait until they come easily--not "school" them in some rigid, demanding way...but I'm a dressage rider, so I end up putting to many buttons on, if I'm not careful. On the other hand, I know a rider known for putting the change on and on well. IF IF IF the "doesn't need the show miles" made sense, I'd send my w-t-c-j'ers to someone like that for a month or so, specifically to put the change on as soon as the beastie was mentally and physically ready. That would be a worthwhile investment, y'know what I mean? But if, on top of that, I still need to put the show miles on, sending the pony out for just that one thing may not be the most cost effective way to proceed.

I think this is really important and maybe not a conscious-enough thing breeders/sellers deal with. Where does it make sense to invest your money and time? For example, maybe some should consider putting the pony doing decent -- but maybe not easy -- changes already into the barn of someone who can confirm those changes, rather than sending it off to get show miles just before, say, sending it to a/"the" sale? The cost might be the same, but which option would bring the best return? From what Quicksilver noted, it would seem that "finishing" it to be easy would be a better prep for a sale than showing it.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

I know everyone is looking at the stats but it is so hard to know what will happen this year. Personally I think there are some serious buyers out there. I will not be there selling this year but will be there to see what is selling. I am always looking for the next special pony. A couple of years ago I bought a pony by mistake who turned out to be the best pony ever. She was the lowest selling pony and yes she was at the end of the day. You just never know what but I wish you guys luck. Look forward to seeing your ponies...

pwynnnorman,

I'd say that you need to have the changes rather than the show record, but it would be good to have both. Ponies without a good change are very hard to sell. Seeing is believing.

I'd send the pony to the pro for the changes and have him take the pony along to some shows, even local ones for some mileage. The ponies need to be out and about showing in order to handle the stress of being at the Pony Finals Auction anyway. If they are freaked out by the venue then everyone will asume that the pony is hot not just nervous. You need to treat the auction like a horse show in order to maximize your return.

Yeah, makes sense to me, llsc. I was assuming it'd be mentally solid via local shows and other outings. Actually, I was assuming everyone took ponies going u/s and headed to "the" sale to at least hang out locally. Maybe earlier in the sale's history you had a few that had never been away from home (maybe?), but I think that issue is long past that now, don't you? I think the sale itself made a bit of a push, after its initial forays into ponydom, to make sure the ponies accepted would present themselves reasonably well.
    Sportponies Unlimited

I bought a pony there last year and a couple of years ago. They were both steals. My trainer bought one without me being there, he was green and had a huge scar on his leg. He ended up being an awesome "B" circut pony. The one I bought last year had a history on the line and was owned by a BNT. I never saw her until she walked into the sale ring. She was THE LAST ONE. She had maybe a couple weeks under saddle, 3 yrs old, 13.3 1/2. She loves horseshows. At her first show she marched around like a pro in the baby greens and beat the horses. She doesn't like to work at home, and has some issues. What else would you expect from a three year old!

I love that sale. I hope to be going this year looking for another youngish green large, I want a bargain though, sorry I dont know if that helps any.

Default Yet Another Karacter

P Wynn, if they all turn out like that awesome Karacter pony of yours that was in Atlanta last week, doing the pregreen ponies as a 4 year old, then keep on doing whatever you are doing now! THAT one is AWESOME! And he went around like a million bucks.

I am very jealous, and wishing the sainted granddaughter was SMALLER...
    .........just call me Nana.

Oh, that's just too funny, wesierobb, that you'd mention him. It's not my style to be so blunt about how the little project pony I first mentioned here a year ago actually did in his first outing...

BUT I'M SURE GLAD YOU DID!!!

Ok, indirect brag aside, here's a serious question for others: Bargains????

The last few posts have implied (and I ask because I want to be corrected if I'm wrong) that they got "good deals" at the Pony Finals sale. It used to be that the "good deals" (which I'm interpreting as relative bargains) might be had at the Breeder's Production Sale, which seems to have fallen by the wayside (at least in terms of its original form--yes? no???). If buyers are now shopping the Finals' sale for bargains, that can't be a good thing, can it? Doesn't that imply buyers are looking for ponies NOT priced equivalent to value, but rather priced below? Again, this is a yes? no? thing: I'm just wondering where the market is these days and how it might affect the sale.
    Sportponies Unlimited

Is the sale open to pony jumpers? We have one that has been eventing and is always clean at 3'3" - we haven't actually tested his height limit but he's amazing through gymnastics. I'm horrible at selling horses (because I never want to) and we are waiting for a spot to open up at the trainer for him to go as a consignment. This sale might be a reasonable alternative. Any opinions on this sale for jumpers?
    It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up.

http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/profile/fallbrook

Kind of depends on the individual Pony Jumper.

It's still a fact that this marketplace favors those already out and going and capable of packing the kiddie test riders that will want to ride before Daddy writes the check. If it's broke well and can pack, you might have a chance.

But, IMO, it's a Hunter venue. Maybe the Eventing crowd would be more appreciative or somebody looking for something that can multi task and not be restricted to just the jump ring.

One other thing somebody hinted at earlier...some of those you'd think are nice from the catalogue and picture that go low? Some of those are not unknown and have passed around thru several trainer barns before going here. They look nice but are...er...let's just say special needs. Not so nice at all.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Anyone want to give me an opinion on this pony privately? I just want to know if it would be worth my while. I have lots of photos and video. If so, send PM
    It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys show up.

http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/profile/fallbrook

OK, I know acceptance letters have gone out for the auction! Who has entries?? I'm excited to see the ponies you guys are bringing. I keep checking the website, but they aren't up yet. Lets see them!

http://www.grandviewponies.com/mediumponiesforsale.html
    Last edited by crystalacresponies; Jul. 11, 2008 at 09:27 AM. Reason: change
    "Crystal Acres"
    Home of 2005 National Champion Section B Welsh-
    "MORTON'S STAR COMMAND
    www.grandviewponies.com

Quote Originally Posted by crystalacresponies View Post
    OK, I know acceptance letters have gone out for the auction! Who has entries?? I'm excited to see the ponies you guys are bringing. I keep checking the website, but they aren't up yet. Lets see them!

http://www.grandviewponies.com/mediumponiesforsale.html
    I've watched Crystal Acres Sunny Days show numerous times at the Sussex Horse Shows "C". Cute pony!
    Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. -C.J.J. Mullen

Mine is in! Grenache
    ~*Adult Pony Rider Clique*~
    www.timberrunponies.com

Hey, see my thread on the official ADULT Pony Final cocktail party. Lets meet. It's time.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Here's my small that's going in the sale.

http://s8.zetaboards.com/The_Outside...8007798/1/#new

I am going to seriously regret selling him. I love, love, love this pony.

Does anyone know when the catalog is coming out? I check the website every day.

Thanks
    Last edited by etopolsk; Jul. 14, 2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling

I saw his picture in one of the previews. I thought he was yours! Such a cutie.

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    Here's my small that's going in the sale.

http://s8.zetaboards.com/The_Outside...8007798/1/#new

I am going to seriously regret selling him. I love, love, love this pony.

Where did you see the preview?

I have three that were accepted - all are on my website on the sales page, a 3 yr old large gelding, Rockin Elvis, that was 5th at Devon, a 4 yr old large mare by Land's End The Colonels Fox, Fox Ridge Fox Zee, and a 5 yr old medium mare that is really brave and getting her changes well, Quicksilver Snow Dancer. All three are going to be top of the line in their divisions and all have a big step and can easily make the strides. I hope there will be some good interest at the sale - I have heard of many people that are going with plans to buy.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com