The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Pony Finals Auction

I have two that I would like to send but have some concerns with the expected turn out and the overall economy picture. Anyone out there planning to go just for the sale or debating the trip to show because of expenses this year.
    It's all in the details!!

I thought about putting one of my large greens in...but decided not to. Not because of the economy, more because I don't feel like paying the commission if she doesn't sell for what I want.
    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue

I have a friend who is entering a very fancy 3 year old. I am too scared to take one in this economy. Last year wasn't great and I'm fearing this year will be worse. If I was closer I might take the gamble. Will be interesting to see what happens. I do know that the fancy and/or made ones sell the best.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

We will be there and looking to buy but not for anything green. Need made bombproof babysitter- usually there are only a couple of these types to choose from, more last year than previous years.

Actually last year I believe they ended up at the same or higher than usual. It just started really, really slow.

I'm debating whether or not to enter my large. She's made and did the Green Ponies in '05, but I'm afraid to take the chance and not get what I want for her.

I just know of two ponies last year that got bids of 10,000 and 12,000 at the auction that later sold for 25,000 and 35,000 privately a couple of months later. These were legitamate A show ponies that were ready to step into the greens and win - and they did. I would love for it to be a place where people go to get high end ponies but I think when you are dealing with kids mounts, parents want a trial - not just a short ride - before they pull out the checkbook.

Also horse auctions in the US have such a negative connotations, most people go there to get deals, not to see many high quality animals in one place and on the other end it seems to be where people take there horses when they don't know what else to do with them. Would love to see this change and be more like the auctions overseas!
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

I sold three going greenies there last year - 2 smalls and a large- and plan on taking three again this year - one 5 yr old medium, a 4 yr old large and a three yr old large. I was happy with my sales last year - they all went to good show homes for decent prices - and I hope for the same this year.
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

I have a 5yr old medium that I have decided to bring. I was a little worried about the prices this year & was going back & forth with myself on if I should bring her. The other reason is that I will not be able to replace her. She could walk into the greens right now and win. It is very hard not to keep her for my daughter. The difference this year is that I will only bring the one that I consider a big seller. It would cost too much to bring a middle of the road pony & have to bring it home.
    "Crystal Acres"
    Home of 2005 National Champion Section B Welsh-
    "MORTON'S STAR COMMAND
    www.grandviewponies.com

gotcha25 Guest

Where can you find the information on entering a pony into this auction?

Thanks =)

I had originally planned to capitalize on the Olympic thing and send a few through it.

Crystalacresponies, you think it's too expensive to bring some that you bring back home? You've got far more experience at it than I, so I'm wondering what you mean. I was thinking the "economies of scale" would work OK--if I brough three in a three-horse, I figured the gas, hotel, etc. would still be the same. I know I'd pay the fees, but figured the "anchor pony" would cover them for ones I might not sell, so the fees wouldn't hurt so much.

Does that make sense to you? This is just an educational question since I decided not to go this route as they are starting with the "B"s and my anchor pony's name starts with a "Y" and I sure as heck don't think the history of the sale makes it worth sending something nice through dead last. (And, of course, the whole Olympic thing is out the window now anyway.)

EDITED!!! I got word (thanks) that sometimes the most serious buyers DO stay for the end of the sale. OK, now I'd like to know more -- which is it?
    Last edited by pwynnnorman; Jun. 17, 2008 at 03:34 PM.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

I totally "get" what you mean PWynn. What I mean is that I have a few that are really nice ponies, but maybe not far enough along in their training to bring the big bucks. I don't want to give them away when they are potentially worth so much money. We sold a 3yr old last year for 5k & the new owners will tell you they can't believe the bargain they got. The problem was that the demo ring only had fences set up for ponies trained to jump & jump well. A full set of A rated hunter jumps. There was no way the 3yr old should, or could, even attempt this. In years past they had crossrails available for the real greenies. I wont bring one that far(15hours for us) to take it home because it isn't ready. I might as well leave it home. Also, with the cost of fuel, I'm considering sending the pony on a commercial van rather than trailer it myself. The one I'm bringing moves, looks & jumps the part. It is 5yrs old & 13.1 & 3/4. Marches around any jumps for any kid. It is a no-brainer that this is what the buyers want.
    Don't be so sure about bringing, your late in the order, pony. My pony Superman had the luck of being #102 to be sold. I was terrified. He was super talented & the buyers waited for him. You never know!
    "Crystal Acres"
    Home of 2005 National Champion Section B Welsh-
    "MORTON'S STAR COMMAND
    www.grandviewponies.com

I would agree...every year I've been there with clients to buy from the first pony to the last pony...if someone is there to buy one they will sit and wait...especially if they have your pony in mind.
    Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue

Default Can't wait for this years auction!

We bought 2 green 3 year olds at last years auction and one 2 year old. We watched the demo, did a couple of test rides, walked the sales barns, checked the horses, measured and measured more! We had about 4 ponies that were are top picks. We spent more than our agreed upon stop price on the first pony (I get a little carried away at auctions), but we stayed all the way to the end to bid on the others that we liked. Our ponies have turned out great and we have put lots of work into them. One of the ponies was ready to start showing and the other we are still holding back until next year. The 2 year old is living the life of leisure and racking up the costs, but that is why we were able to buy her for less than the 3 year olds. (we don't own a farm or barn, so we pay for everything!) We have already put a big chunk of change into the showing pony. I understand that you might get more money in a private sale than at auction, but you better be prepared for the training and show expense to get it.

Last year we were more interested in young green ponies to bring up as investments. This year we will look for that plus small or medium made ponies for our young daughter. We have friends coming with us that are looking for made large ponies and also jumpers. I would estimate that out of the three of us, we will purchase 3-6 ponies at the auction, if we find something that we like. We are always checking the website to see if they have posted any of the entires, so we are all very anxious to start seeing what will be available at the auction. We are even flying our vet into the finals (as we did last year) to check out all the ponies for us. We are serious buyers. I think that you will find that there are lots more out there like us, as well as lots of window shoppers. You never know until the bidding starts. We did not even test ride 2 of the ponies that we bought because we did not want to draw others attention to them.

Another nice thing about the auction, from a buyers persepective...you can purchase with a credit card. I had never thought about that, but it was nice because it gave us so many awards points we paid for our Disney trip with all the points we earned buying the ponies at the auction!

Peter Pletcher bought the highest selling pony at the auction. I think that this auction does have a good reputation for good quality. I would highly suggest that you consider entering the auction and giving it a try. Make certain that you have a current measurement (if they are under 6) or a permanent measurement card, vet records are helpful but not mandatory, really try to get them at least a little bit under saddle training so buyers can see movement a little better. Be prepared for lots of the same questions from lots of people. Good luck and I hope we see you there.

I remember Superman from last years auction. What a great pony. He was watched and watched during the demo. You had an awesome pony! I hope that you are bring more like him this year.

I have bought and sold several ponies over the past several years have been extremely happy with my results. As a buyer I sometimes get carried away but the hubby is there to keep me on tract I sold one pony for a $1,000 less than where I wanted to be but hubby advised me the carrying cost of keeping the pony for a couple of months. Not to mention the hassle we sometimes run across with selling to the public. Missed appointments, time out of our schedule, window shoppers etc... You weigh that out and I guess I was closer than I thought.

Yes the economy is not the brightest but there are still serious people out there looking. Good luck and hope to see you there.

anyone from canada going - particularly ontario - please pm me

I have a very quiet 3 yr old that will finish top of stick small by my stallion that I have been thinking of taking...she i going so well under saddle... and it would be nice to get her sold....but then again the financial risk of going is so great... Gas alone will probably run me $600,then hotel, food, the entry fee, the commission.......... and then if one did no sale--the no sale fee... I will have to decide soon... I really like the auction folks--they are very nice and have been wonderful.
    I love attending their auctions.
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

My 3 yr old small is going. I sold one there a couple years ago and was happy with the out come!
    ~*Adult Pony Rider Clique*~
    www.timberrunponies.com