The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping In-Foal Mare from Europe?

A friend is interested in buying and importing a particular mare, currently in foal to a well known stallion, from The Netherlands. For all of you with much more experience in these matters, do you have any suggestions or recommendations for when, how, etc., is the best way to protect the mare and foal? Obviously they would like to keep stress down to a minimum.

A particular concern is the quarantine period and facilities. I know the choices are relatively limited, but is there a facility that is better for mares, or worse? Also, are there import agencies who are particularly familiar with dealing with in-foal mares?

We'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

We ship ours between 3 months to 8 months in foal. We are a USDA quarantine center, so the last two that we imported were kept here at our farm, although Woodridge Farm has also kept mares in quarantine for us. We use Klatte and they have always done a capable job.
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

I don't have any advice, just a story to share. My mare was imported from Holland 10 months in foal unbeknowst to us or her owner. We bought her as a resale hunter prospect.

Anyways...she quarantined at UC Davis in LA for 2 weeks and shipped up from California to Vancouver, BC Canada. She foaled about a month later SURPRISE!!!!! Baby in the stall one morning. We have no idea who she was bred to, since the owner claimed there wasn't even a stallion on the same street as them. We called the baby "Mary" lol

Although I don't think importing a mare 10 months in foal is a great idea, they were both fine. We felt pretty bad that my 'fat' mare was on a diet and was getting ridden and jumped.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've read somewhere that seven months pregnant is perfect for shipping from there to here.

The pregnancy is well established, and there is plenty of time for the mare to settle in before the foaling.

But I gotta say I have no personal knowledge; this is just something that I've read.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Klatte has always done a great job for us. Hassle free... which I like. :-) In my opinion, Rigby Farm is the best on the East Coast for mares in foal. Everything goes like clockwork with these two ...very simple.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Ditto ShowjumpersUSA re Klatte and Rigby. I have had excellent experiences with both. Klatte is very good about keeping you posted thoughout the shipping process. One of my mares arrived in NY with a small cut on her face; they phoned me immediately to let me know about it. It was literally the size of an eraser on a pencil, and not deep -- in other words, a teeny boo boo. They keep you informed about everything.

Rigby is a very, very nice facility with top-notch care. The people who run it could not be friendlier, and also have been very hospitable when I have visited the farm. And, my mare looked amazing when she left Rigby; she could have gone to a show the same day.

Portia is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Is there somewhere that lists the approved quarantine centers? One is Oklahoma would be better than one on the East or West coasts, but one in Texas would be even better.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Original Poster

Doing some googling, it seems that Texas doesn't do CEM quarantine. Here's an interesting article from 2003 from the Austin Chronicle (an independent alternative newspaper) that explains why. Ah Texas ... So deeply screwed up in so many ways ...

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A159100

Definately ShowjumpersUSA- I have used them several times and they are wonderful.

We are not too far from Texas, if you would like her to come here. The tough part is arranging the hauling from New York or California as she needs to be on a sealed trailer. We typically just go and pick them up ourselves.
    Visit us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by showjumpers66 View Post
    the tough part is arranging the hauling from New York or California as she needs to be on a sealed trailer. We typically just go and pick them up ourselves.
    What can one do to 'seal' a trailer, and what constitues a sealed trailer? I have quite the image in my head right now

Thought at first that I mis-spelled "sealed". The USDA chains across the doors when you pick up the mare or stallion from quarantine station. When you arrive at the CEM quarantine station, a USDA agent meets you to un-seal the trailer (basically cut the chain and document the arrival).
    Visit us on facebook!

We brought several ponies in last November from Germany and 2 mares were 5 months pregnant. They do have to go into CEM quarantine and YES - they do seal the trailer - it's not a joke - that takes them from the USDA facility to the CEM quarantine facility. What is so stupid about the CEM quarantine for pregnant mares is the fact that a mare that has CEM won't stay pregnant - so if the mare IS pregnant she can't have it. But you have to pay the money and send them anyway.

The USDA site has a list of CEM facilities in every state. We used Dutta and and they work with Klatte on the other end and they do handle all the paperwork. The horses/ponies do have to stay at the USDA importation facilities for a few days before being released. The shipping companies on the ground that transport to the CEM facilities understand the entire process of having the transport rig sanitized and then sealed.

The mares came through fine the younger ponies were a little stressed but they recovered in afew weeks.

Both mares foaled gorgeous pony fillies on the same day last month.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

I have only one thing to say: Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure, uh-huh, Portia. A friend. Yeah. Right. Snicker. Snort.
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Quote Originally Posted by Portia View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Is there somewhere that lists the approved quarantine centers? One is Oklahoma would be better than one on the East or West coasts, but one in Texas would be even better.
    One thing you might want to consider is the location of the facility in terms of how long you want the mare in transit on each leg of the trip. We chose Rigby over some other nice facilities in VA because the travel time from NY to Rigby, in MD, was several hours shorter than it would have been from NY to the VA CEM facility that I also liked, though both facilities are approximately equidistant from my farm. I like to get them tucked in at the quarantine facility soon after they arrive in NY because they are coming off of a long flight and then 2 days with no turnout whatsoever at the NY facility, which can be quite stressful to them.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I have only one thing to say: Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure, uh-huh, Portia. A friend. Yeah. Right. Snicker. Snort.
    No Beezer, it really is for a friend. A lady at our barn has a good friend who's a pro in The Netherlands who knows of a nice young mare in foal to Berlin, and they're looking at buying and importing her.

I already have Dheacon, the REAL Portia, and her two wonderful babies, I don't need to keep collecting them!