The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy My 1989 trakehner mare needs good home - FOUND

I have found a lovely woman to lease my mare. Good news is that she is staying in the area and I can visit and ride her occasionally. Thank you everyone for your support.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````

Looking for a good home and special person for my 19 yo, 15.3 hh Trakehner mare located in South Jersey near Philadelphia. I have had her since she was 3 but my circumstances have changed and I cannot afford to keep her.

She has basic dressage training. Has been doing beginner/advanced beginner hunt seat lessons for the last couple of years w-t-c and crossrails and I have ridden her lightly on the weekends. She is UTD on shots, coggins, dentist, etc. Right now she is barefoot but has worn shoes in the past depending on level of work. Easy keeper. Likes her turnout time.

She is pretty, a nice mover, a little spoiled, nickers when she sees me and always looks for her sugar. She is a redhead but don't hold that against her. It just adds a little spice to our discussions some days!

Prefer free lease situation to someone who will enjoy her, take care of her, spoil her and above all -- love her.

Gotta go. My heart is breaking.
    Last edited by red mare; Nov. 17, 2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: home found

Wow, that's tough. Is there no way to pasture board her cheaply in your area ( nj, pa) ? She'd probably love to be in a herd, even if it meant she couldn't see you as often.

This may sound silly but have you looked at donating her to a college program like Delaware Valley College?
    The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire. ~Sharon Ralls Lemon

You mght call Reddemeade in Silver Spring MD. It has a program called equishare, which is essentially a group of horses that are ridden by more capable riders in lessons and on their own. Ride times are set for each horse. I know there have been horses accepted on a free lease basis with some eventually going back to the owner.

The horses there are treated extremely well -- lots of attention, love, care, etc.

It's worth a conversation -- 301-421-9064

I sent redmare a note with my contact information. We've been patiently looking for the perfect horse for a good friend, a vet in NJ. She's in Central NJ so hopefully close to where the 'red mare' is now. Cross my fingers it would work out- the horse would get a spectacular home and the owner could visit whenever!

That sounds fantastic (the vet in Central NJ). If you have had her through thick & thin (16 yrs?) it IS a matter of the heart. I hope this works out for you!

I spoke with the OP- the horse is literally down the 25 minutes (maybe less... it's been a while since I have been there) down the highway from the vet's clinic Hopefully the vet, her daughter, and the old red mare will click. ::crossing fingers::

hooves crossed

Default thank you all for your support

Just wanted to drop a quick note to thank everyone for their support, advice and encouragement. I have received PMs from a few of you and am very hopeful that my girl will find the right home.

FatPalomino, thanks for the wonderful referral. I look forward to speaking with your friend. And thanks for the good advice and other information.

Horsebackrider, I will give Reddemeade a call. As you say, it's worth a conversation.

Cloverbug, hadn't considered a college program as my first choice would be a private situation with her own person but it is an option. Thanks for your concern.

Thanks again, everyone. I am amazed at the kindness and support you all have shown me, a newbie and complete stranger!

You already know this but please be careful.

A free lease with regular contact may be the best way to ensure that your horse has a good future.

Donating to a college does not guarantee this.

This may sound silly but have you looked at donating her to a college program like Delaware Valley College
    ?

What happens to the horse when it is no longer sound or useful to the College? Do you know?

Always ask 'what happens when the horse no longer fits the use?'

Please be careful, ask questions, check references and don't make assumptions

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post

A free lease with regular contact may be the best way to ensure that your horse has a good future.

?

What happens to the horse when it is no longer sound or useful to the College? Do you know?
    Free lease is my first choice. Thanks for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post

?

Quote Originally Posted by anuphillbattle View Post
    Always ask 'what happens when the horse no longer fits the use?'

Please be careful, ask questions, check references and don't make assumptions
    Good advice. Thanks!

Default horse

I know MTSU takes thier horses to auction when they no longer want them or have to many. They get so many horses donated to them that the auction money is almost like a second income for them! I wonder if all the people that donate thier horses are aware of this! What a shame.

Oh, I wish I could swing board on another horse! She sounds lovely and the barn I am at would probably be perfect for her.

Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Any news?
    Thanks for the concern, Chall. Inquiries and phone conversations -- some possibilities, some not. Tough week with graduations but potentially 2 look-sees next week. Taking everyone's advice not to rush into anything but to make sure it is the right situation (at least as right as it can be )

Smart girl to take your time. I'm rooting for you both.

bump...

still looking for right home, right person. Anyone?
    Last edited by red mare; Jun. 24, 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Question

Bump...any luck?