The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ok buyers (and sellers) where are you?

Is anyone looking for horses? Is anyone able to sell their horses? After reading the "Oh give me a horse" thread I say Geesh, I've got those! Yet no phone calls!

Are people looking to buy horses or is everyone having problems selling? I know the economy is really bad. It seems like the CHEAP (under $5000) horses are selling and the expensive (over $40,000) are selling but the $20,000 are just sitting around NOT selling! Any ideas! I feel like I should raise my horses price... LOL!

I know that a lot of people are having trouble selling in our area. My friend is a local trainer and the few clients she had that were looking to buy have now said that they want to wait. I haven't even bothered putting my sale project up in this market. I'll put more time in and have some fun with her rather than frustrate myself with buyers looking for a fire sale .

Quote Originally Posted by Taco Pizza View Post
    Are people looking to buy horses or is everyone having problems selling? I know the economy is really bad. It seems like the CHEAP (under $5000) horses are selling and the expensive (over $40,000) are selling but the $20,000 are just sitting around NOT selling! Any ideas! I feel like I should raise my horses price... LOL!
    sold one this spring (below 40 but above 20). Market is slow but I know people who are selling and buying horses in that range. I thought it was the ones priced below 20 but above 5 that were having trouble selling.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I have the best pony club horse known to mankind priced at $7500 and get lots of looky loos online but nobody will come out to see him.

And I have a fabulous pony for sale online in that price range. Lots of calls, but not a single person has come and looked. Thing is, I really feel that he is priced correctly. I have no need to give him away, and I also have no need to rip somebody off! So we will just sit on him, put more fun miles on him, and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
    And I have a fabulous pony for sale online in that price range. Lots of calls, but not a single person has come and looked. Thing is, I really feel that he is priced correctly. I have no need to give him away, and I also have no need to rip somebody off! So we will just sit on him, put more fun miles on him, and wait.
    Ditto, in the meantime I always wanted a pony (too bad I'm 6' now, it just isn't the same)!

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    Ditto, in the meantime I always wanted a pony (too bad I'm 6' now, it just isn't the same)!

If I was a little shorter (ok"a lot"), and knew how to ride, I would be able to have a blast too

I have one for sale that I've had bites on, but since he's 15, I think our issue is his age, not the market.

last week, sold an eventer(that did not want to event, just show jump)to a chlidrens/adult jumper kid for 35k, then turned around and found a nice young tb geld for the other kid at 15k. i just had people fly in from colorado looking for dressage prospects. so, i feel people are looking and buying. just hard to find a w/t/c jumping small courses with a lead change for 10k. and i have a lot of those type orders.(i sell a lot of hunters) i know the horses are out there, just hard to find them for clients that want the full package and don't want to spend any money. in this area,i do feel like the market is doing ok. i am busier now than i was during hits this winter.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Hi Maxxtrot! I guess Ocala is "the place to be" LOL!

it is seeming that way more and more.but remember the hunters spend more money on their prospects. but the eventers are catching up fast
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Default I wish I knew where the buyers were!

I've been trying to sell or place a nice, cute, people loving, SOUND, 7 yo, well-bred (Alydar-Secretariat-Princequillo) Tb mare for a looong time. It seems everyone wants a 16h +, made jumper and dressage gelding, for less than $3,000
    This girl is not perfect (greenish - needs consistent work!) but she's carting kids around in lessons for God's sakes! She can't be THAT hot! lol
    I'm so desperate I'm looking to GIVE her away now. I just can't afford 2 horses.
    *sigh*
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I think the hard thing is knowing how to price the horses. You want to sell so you price them cheaper and people think there is something wrong with them. Price them to high and people think they are overpriced for young horses. It is challenging to get the right buyers. I have several of the CANTER horses for sale who have quite a bit of mileage. We had one priced at $3k because he is 15.2 but I do think people think there is something wrong with him?? I am getting ready to do new ads with updated pictures.

One thing that has changed for me is that I am unable to put as extensive show records on the horses due to limited finances. They are going a lot of places-schoolings, trails and more but not necessarily showing.

I think we are cutting back to a certain degree.

Jleegriffith - glad to hear I'm not the only one! I put a [low ball] price tag on my one horse [edit] in hopes of a quick sale because I have too many horse but I think I am getting the "what's worng with that one" attitude because of the price! I feel like doubling the price just to see what happens!! haha!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Jun. 18, 2008 at 07:39 AM. Reason: specifics

Taco- just do it! If the horse is not selling take down the old ad and create a whole new ad with different pictures. People think it's a new horses on the market and the horse may just get sold. It has worked for me in the past and I should take my own advice

I like to buy horses that will do well in the hunter market because the hunter/jumper crowd will pay more money for a nicely started prospect. It has been my experience that the dressage crowd will happily hand over the money for a big pretty horse with lots of flash. Eventers..well they are the toughest crowd to sell to in my experiences.

I have 2 that I'm trying to sell. One pony that just qualified for Pony Club Games Championships and is a been there done there kind of guy. been on the market for 6 months and only one person looked at him. My other is an 8 y/o TB eventer that loves his job and within 6 months only 2 came out. I believe they are priced right and I even dropped the price to get more bites - but nothing.

I've also been putting off selling a couple. I have 2 great babies who are sweet, but just work every day. I'm hesitating because I hate selling to begin with and don't want to fret about WHY they aren't selling. I think the 2 yr old small welsh will be a fairly quick sell, but I have a yearling I haven't the foggiest idea how to price right now. He's so nice I hate to price him too low, but on the other hand, even a low price would pay for the additional stonedust I need in the ring!!

My daughter's solid BN pony (always in the ribbons) should be sold too, but that just sounds like even more of a headache. Who would possibly want a large that really has no prospects over BN?

The market is STILL strong for very attractive horses (that being those that do not have issues such as age, issues on vet check, quality issues, holes in records)

It is a BUYERS market for the lower bracket of horses or those with issues. The horses I have had for sale for awhile all have some quirk or little thing and those who are attractive have sold with no problems, the problem is people can be more picky with so many horses on market but to find a good one you will still pay.

I am looking for several horse right now and there is a lot of CRUD to wade through, more than normal with the economy down and people worried.

HIGH dollar horses are still high dollar horses. Go and find yourself a nice prelim horse with a GREAT or superb record, you will not find many deals and if you do there is always something in the closet!

JLee-
    On your ponies, I think a good route is to have some ammies get on them. Get some pics of your hubby hacking Dixie or your student/rider jumping Indy. Part of what sold me on Nikki (big, young TB mare) was that the trainer taught lessons on her and the owner was a novice. I think your guys are perfect for someone like me and we want to know that when the pro hops off, the kindness sticks around.

Nikki's trainer sent me a video of a lesson kid jumping Nikki. On the film, she chipped a bit, stayed happy and sane. I also saw the pro jump her and she looked great. But to me, seeing the horse manage a screw up with sanity meant a lot.

I think with TB's- if you want to sell to people like me (which is your market since the really good riders can save money and hit the track) you need to sell the sane personality and be able to back it up.

At any rate- my profile is adult, experience, limited budget, not too obsessed with showing, happy to continue with lessons and training. Number 1 concern is getting a horse that is sane. I don't give a rat's ass if Dobbin jumped 5' in a chute. I don't care about "upper level potential". So if you want to sell to folks like me- there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    Eventers..well they are the toughest crowd to sell to in my experiences.
    I have been looking for a while and have some thoughts.

1) The downturn of the economy has really forced me to evaluate if I am actually now in the market for a horse. You might just live too far away for me to come see your horse even though it looks like it could be a good fit.

2) I actually know what I want. While your horse may be "terrific" it has to be terrific for me. Give me as many details as possible so that we don't waste each other's time.

3) I think the reason people want to see a show record is that the record is proof that the horse actually does ditches/banks/water. No offense but unless I know you personally your word doesn't mean a thing. If your horse doesn't have record please go make a video of your horse jumping the important components of a xcountry course. If possible at more than one place.

4) While I have a specific budget, the price is not the most important component of my shopping list. Some of the more expensive horses were the worst.

I have seen:
    -horses that rush the last 3 strides to every. single. fence.
    -horses that are as stiff as a 2 x 4 plank
    -horses that are too strong/under-schooled being advertised as ammy friendly
    -horses that are off the track but so behind the leg that they are advertised as ammy friendly because they don't run away with you. They won't move off your leg either.
    -horses that try to buck you off
    -horses advertised "confirmed" at a level with 3 events under their belt of which 1 they were E xcountry
    -horses that crib but not told upfront
    -horse with heart condition, too bad, as horse was terrific
    -horses with foot/lameness issues; as in they are on medication (generally given for navicular problems) due to improper shoeing?!
    -horses that start off stiff with a "hop" at the trot due to old injuries
    -horses advertised as not "spooky at all" that spook -- they all spook -- if you say yours doesn't and it does I'll wonder what else you aren't being up front about
    -my personal favorite: a tb shown by a rider who has been around rolex who hemmed and hawed when asked to jump the horse over a 3'3" fence for me. The horse jumped nicely for me but really, if you've been around rolex, and seem nervous to jump the horse over a little fence what the heck am I supposed to think.

I looked at 3 horses that I thought were nice rides for a decently skilled amateur. They were forward, had a sense of humor and did not need to be micro-managed every step of the way. They had been competed one level higher than the level they were advertised to be confirmed at competing. They had years of competition under their belt with out being run up the levels or over competed. Two had hidden issues (health/cribbing) and the one that was "as advertised" was sold the very next day after I rushed to try her.