The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Morven Park - Dressage/Breed show this week -question

I have never been down to the Morven park breed show--I paid for a stall-but I have a colt- should I realistically expect to just show him off the trailer? Are the stalls workable for a colt? Or will I have more privacy/control/quiet to let him stand on the trailer and eat hay? Thanks

One of the most important lessons for a colt is to learn to deal with show stabling - especially if you plan to leave him as a stallion. I would arrive early to check out the stall, and see what adjustments need to be made, if any.

Our trailer sets up to have a very large box stall, so that is our show stabling (fewer germs to bring home that way).
    Has anyone heard any results?
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Yes, selfishly I can report Mr. Tchula came in 5th out of 10 in the yearling colt/geldings class.

Omare, if you'd like to hook up tomorrow and say "Hi" I'll be working somewhere ... don't quite know where yet, but I'll be there.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

What Fun (black mare - Wolkentanz I/Lauries Crusador/Wanderer) won Best Mature Mare and Grand Champ! Bred by Heather Stanley & Jim Bond/Winter Mill Farm. The dam, that fabulous producer Lilith (imported by Marefield Meadows) is now owned by High Point Hanoverians.

Congrats! And congrats to the owner as well!

ETA - Oay, after reading WMF's post below I was wrong...well...not really WRONG...prophetic...as What Fun was Grand Champ the second day of the show....
    Last edited by ahf; Jun. 19, 2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Whoops! Marefield imported but did not breed Lilith
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Default Wow - Thanks!

We were really thrilled to see how well our girl had done for her new owner, Allison Kavey - it's a great feeling to see your homebreds go on and do well for their new owners!

But, not wanting to step on any toes or take away from anyone else's wonderful accomplishments: What Fun was actually Champion Mature Mare, and went on to Reserve Champion Mature Horse, behind the very impressive stallion Rapidan, who was Champion Mature Horse and I *believe* went on to be the show's Reserve Grand Champion, with Larissa as Grand Champion yesterday.

Congratulations to all - and extra carrots for Lilith for producing yet another wonderful foal!
    Last edited by Winter Mill; Jun. 19, 2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: To correct Grand and Reserve Grand Champions
    Winter Mill Farm
    www.wintermillfarm.com

Thanks for the words of advice-I decided to scratch for now as my darling backwoods rube of a boy still needs some polishing on his manners when in strange surroundings-he is getting there but I thought maybe it would be too much going on for him for now.

Regardless-Iam so glad the weather gods has bestowed upon everyone such lovely cool weather for the show!

My congratulations to all of the competitors at the VADA/Nova Summer Breed Shows 1 & 2. We had a lovely group of horses and owners/breeders and volunteers and I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent at Morven Park.
    I support and enable the USA bred horse and the USA breeder.

Thumbs up

I also wanted to chime in and add my sincere thanks to all of the volunteers and the show organizers! It was a lovely show with wonderful horses, competitors and just an all around good time!!! I would be remiss though if I left out my deepest appreciation for Wendy & all her girls at Magic Rose Farm as they helped feed me and make sure Oz was 'really' clean & presentable for his classes!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Last edited by Tasker; Jun. 20, 2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: forgot

I just wanted to give my kudos to Larissa's breeder, Susan Lynch of Shephard Farm. She is one of the nicest, most down to earth people you'll ever meet, and does this as a small breeder out of passion. I was thrilled to hear the mare she bred took Champion She has a full sister to this mare that I've always told her looks to move on air. Yeah for the little guys!!!

Default Morven show

Thanks to Lori and the many great volunteers!
    What a great show! Tasker - it was good to meet you and your handsome boy!
    I'm so pleased with my girl (the Royal Prince/CaroselxContucci 2 yr old filly) for behaving this show and almost appearing bored in the ring on day 2 - a huge improvement over last show.
    She placed 2nd both days in the Old/ISR class... 78.10 was our highest score from Gerd, so I was thrilled about that. She was 6/7 in the huge 2 year old filly class as well. Trish

Yes it was a very good show and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. Nice and dry, sunny, low humidity and 75 degrees with a breeze - what more could we ask for.

Congrats to everyone with their lovely horses! It is always so nice to see such a good group of horses like you see at this VA show.

I was thrilled that my yearling on her first time away from home (without her ET dam) was so super and easy to work with. She handled the show with aplomb. And she showed super, with a 1st and 2nd in the yearling filly classes and a 4th in the Hanoverian class.

NotaDQinMD and Edgewood -- It was great to meet both of you. Thank you for all your help with my uncharacteristically naughty girl getting to and from the rings and congratulations on your girls' excellent scores and well-deserved placings. Claire's dam is doing much, much better -- still don't have a diagnosis, but the fever is gone and she seems to be feeling fine, thanks to the doxy, I'm sure. The vet is coming again tomorrow to ultrasound this mare (bred to Contucci again) and my other mare (bred to Special Memories *Pg*) so I am hoping that the high fever and/or antibiotics will not affect the foal (ever the optimist).

Louise
    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by lilypondlane View Post
    NotaDQinMD and Edgewood -- It was great to meet both of you. Thank you for all your help with my uncharacteristically naughty girl getting to and from the rings and congratulations on your girls' excellent scores and well-deserved placings. Claire's dam is doing much, much better -- still don't have a diagnosis, but the fever is gone and she seems to be feeling fine, thanks to the doxy, I'm sure. The vet is coming again tomorrow to ultrasound this mare (bred to Contucci again) and my other mare (bred to Special Memories *Pg*) so I am hoping that the high fever and/or antibiotics will not affect the foal (ever the optimist).

Louise
    Louise, so nice to meet you. Sorry that my filly could not be be a better lead up the hill for your filly. Later my filly was obviously scared by another horse coming up fast behind and was a bit reactive. But besides that, she was well behaved. Jingles for you Trakehner mare - I hope that her prognosis continues to improve and that she stays pregnant. I would love to see your Special Memories foal too when it is born!

With the Morven Park event my first breed show in I don't know how many years, I was ecstatic when my 2-year old Bardot S. E. won the large filly class on Wednesday and then went on to get Reserve Champion Filly (and qualified for the Cosequin Championships)!! She also won the KWPN class but there the class wasn't that big.

I also have to say thank you, thank you, thank you Lauren Dearlove and Scott for doing such a superb job in handling my filly! It was her first outing ever and you made it a great experience for her.

Thank you Lori K. for putting together such a wonderful show. You managed to be a patient and informative instructor even while faced with lots of other inquires and entries. You have the patience of a saint!! :-)
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Tasker, our pleasure, congrats on making the Colt Championships with your boy, he is soo sweet and easy going, that he will be too boring when he is all grown up, so you will have to send him to me !!

Congrats all, it was fun meeting so many new faces and renewing old friendships. Its great seeing so many horses of such quality in one place!!

Larissa was lovely and it was fun to see her with her breeder, who obviously oves her very much.

What Fun was also great and very easy going, she will be a joy to watch as her career continues under saddle.

I was really tickled that Gerd Zuther placed our filly foal third in the Championships in such a tough group, being beat out only by both Grand Champions. His comments about her extremely exceptional walk were very pleasing , as it seems to be coming through from Bill very consistantly. She is one pooped baby today!

Congrats also to Kathi Nappi for winning the yearling colts class with Bound for Gold. She and her friend Amanda are doing a nice job with him.

We had a great time as always, and learned a new beauty tip from Klaus..... and a little too much info about Aruba from Karin
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

My congrats to Tobruk Farm on breeding their lovely "Rosebony", gorgeous two year old black Rosenthal filly out of their big and bold black arabian mare...It seems everywhere Rose goes, she wows em...way to go Tobruk and Rosenthal!