The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am on the West coast. The joke emanated from the WW II when children were evacuated to Canada for their safety. A relative from Liverpool telegraphed a relative in Vancouver to go check on the child in Nova Scotia, Canada. The reply went back "You go, you are closer".

That's all.

Gotcha!!!
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Ladybug, Your mare Fancy Edition looks a lot like my TB mare I am thinking of breeding to a TB!

She is very petite so last year I bred her to a 17 hand Dutch Warmblood. The result is a beautiful colt that has plenty of bone and size, so I think this time around I will be ok with a TB stallion. For the first time I was a little worried TB wouldn't be enough to add bone, but she seems to produce bigger all over then herself.

I will post pics of my mare. First is her in Jan., 10 months preggo. Last is in Feb. with her wb/tb colt.
    Last edited by Samotis; Nov. 9, 2008 at 04:21 PM.

Original Poster

Another TB question. If you don't do live cover, the baby can't be registered with jockey club, so on AFR website it says he is registered with Old NA.

Does that mean that a full TB by AFR can be registered and branded Oldenburg NA? That seems strange to me.

Just curious. I will be getting her inspected Old NA in October for her foal this year.

Or can you get TB papers another way?

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Another TB question. If you don't do live cover, the baby can't be registered with jockey club, so on AFR website it says he is registered with Old NA.

Does that mean that a full TB by AFR can be registered and branded Oldenburg NA? That seems strange to me.

Just curious. I will be getting her inspected Old NA in October for her foal this year.

Or can you get TB papers another way?
    Yes, please--I would LOVE to have an answer to this too!

One of my students has a full TB filly by AFR (via AI), and wonders what her registration options are??
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I have a TB mare, not jockey Club registered. She is Canadian Sport Horse, PHR, and MMB Oldenberg N/A. I don't think it has hindered her, but some registries require JC papers (I think KWPN) to register a TB. Dumb, really. I was hoping PHR would step up and supply the registrations for sport horse bred TB's, horses bred for their qualities other than running. Sound, sane, athletic, bold, etc.

It is not the main intent of the ISR/OLDNA registry to registry full TBs as ISR/OLDNA foals but it can be done. As long as the mare is approved for breeding and depending on which mare book she gets into, the foal would be branded OLDNA or ISR.

I had a fabulous A FINE ROMANCE filly last year who is growing into a big beautiful girl, she is owned by a gal in NJ just outside NYC, who absolutely adores her. Watch for Amelia in the hunter ring.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I actually got to ride AFR .

Gail is the best (although a bit techno-challenged) to work with!!! Make sure you call, and call when the rates will be lowest!!!
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

I wanted to go the TB route with my TB mare this year, and was seriously considering A Fine Romance. But, I wasn't going to ship her up to Canada, and although she is Old NA approved, I didn't really like the idea of my 100% TB being a branded WB - seemed a bit odd.

I happened to stumble upon a lovely TB stallion, who is very nice & local to me (as are some of his get), and she was actually bred this morning

My mare has a substantial amount of bone and great feet, and the TB stud has a great personality, even in the midst of breeding season I am very, very excited about this cross, and am keeping my fingers crossed for a little dot in about 16 days

As an interesting bonus, my state breed association is offering a breeding incentive, they haven't decided, but its rumored to be b/w 3-5k, for her being in foal to a nominated stallion and foaling out in this state The SO told me today after she was bred, and that is one pretty great incentive (there are no racing requirements). Might be something worth looking into...

What state are you in, goodmorning??? I don't think Virginia has any programs anymore, but they used to many years ago.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Original Poster

My mare raced for 3 years, so she is registered Jockey Club. I won't be sending my mare to Canada, thats for sure!

Surprising that they will register a full TB to the Old. NA!

Does anyone know if AFR offers fresh cooled or only frozen and how much? Is it comparable to most other IHF stallions out there?

Quote Originally Posted by talloaks View Post
    What state are you in, goodmorning??? I don't think Virginia has any programs anymore, but they used to many years ago.
    MA. - it would be part of the 'Mass Breds' incentives, at least I think, I am waiting for moree info from the SO - she knows all about it If it works out, what a nice added bonus!

I think AFR's stud fee is $1800 - but not 100% sure about that. I remember thinking it was the same as most other nice WB stallions..

AFR is fesh cooled, maybe he has frozen too, I don't know. My mare took 12 hours after ovulating!! I thought that was pretty darn lucky!!

An up and coming TB hunter stallion is American Lateeno. He is 16.2+, a bay and has a wonderful disposition. He started showing this year in our area in the pre green and baby greens very sucessfully. He is going to be presented for approval this August, I have to find out about which registry. He has created a bit of a stir in this area and has gotten quite a bit of notice. His web site is being put together currently. He is definately one to watch.

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Talking

Silly Mommy, I am GREEN with envy that you got to ride Fred! How cool!
    Last edited by Cinnybren; Jun. 17, 2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo

I always liked Reputed Testimony http://www.tamarackhill.com/Stallions/reputed.htm

But yes if you want TB papers you need to find one that does live cover. I know I found some really nice lookers going through the FL stallion directory. Although some are too pricey for a hunter many are in line with WB stallions, they'll do live cover and it doesn't matter if the foal isn't a speedster. So that might be an option whereever the OP is, go through the TB state stallion directories and find one in your driving range.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

TB Stallion Noble Houston is quite nice!

Not much $$ in his marketing and he's stuck im Michigan but NICE foals. His 2 y/o finished 3rd in Zone 5 hunter breeding even with an eye injury.
    Theres also a SUPER nice grey full TB by Noble Houston showing under the name "Manchester" out of Ohio. One of the judges offered to buy him as a pre green.

If you want type without sacrificing movement or jump consider him! - he'll outmove some of the WB stallions - foals eligible RPSI and they're considering presenting him to ISR/OLD - not sure if it's fair at 15 years old ?

www.noblehouston.com

A 15 year old may show him in the Eq division this year so hopefully will have video later in the season.

IHF nominated as well

Default TB hunter Stallions

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Thinking about the TB stallions that are on the IHF list...

Anyone have offspring by these TB's?

I looked up A Fine Romance's webpage and it doesn't say too much, like how much he is and any videos. Does anyone know anything about him or his offspring?

I have seen a couple Aaron's Gold, but what other TB's out there have good hunter type offspring.

I am a big fan of TB's and my mare is a great hunter TB and it would be nice to breed to a TB. (now that she has had a DW foal)

Fun and Fancy Free is a lovely tb hunter stallion that stands in VA i believe...you can check him out at www.myfoxfarm.com

Original Poster

I am in AZ, so I don't think there are too many nice TB stallions out here for me to choose from. Especially for under 2k!

I don't really care if the horse is JC papered, I just thought it would be nice to breed a full TB this time around as all my previous horses have been TB's.

But, I don't know, my WB colt is looking pretty darn nice right about now, I may have to re-breed to the same stallion.

Foxtrot's;
    if you are near the island, you're more than welcome to come on over and see one of AFR's newest additions. I have a 4-week old filly by him that's just the SWEETEST thing, although she is 1/4CB, and has been bred to be my eventer
    Gail and her husband went WAY above-board and had fresh-cooled flown out here in 36 hours. My mare ovulated ~14hrs after insemination and caught first try.
    Everything talloaks has said is right on!