The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Im breeding to AFR tomorrow AGAIN :)

Cant say much about IHF, as we dont have any shows up here in Canada, but I believe the best thing for the OP to do is to call 519 756 5803 and talk to Gail directly re reg options and breeding fees - she is wonderful to deal with.
    I have bred to Fred several times, always with great results.
    In fact the droolworthy gelding BFNE refers to ( thankyou!!) in her post is one of my Irish Fred babies, that is lucky enough to now live with his new wonderful mom mbj in PA.

I am breeding an outstanding irish sport horse Grand Prix jumper mare to him tomorrow, I just 30 mins ago called Gail and she will get the collection organised for 11.00 am and I will pick it up ~ Im SO lucky to have them so close only 1 hour away!!

He ships fresh cooled and the semen has always been excellent, all my mares have caught on the first insemination.
    The offspring have uniformly been well conformed, honest and eager to please. Delightful to deal with. They seem to get his walk and canter and have all been very good movers. They all seem to love to jump and take to anything new with ease but are so laid back that nothing ever seems to faze them.
    Im in agreement, he is definately an outstanding Sport Horse sire that should get used WAY more by hunter breeders.
    Its a nice dilemma to have, when the youngsters in your paddock could easily go in several directions, in terms of their career path !
    I have a 4 yr old AFR mare, full sister to Southbound the Grand Prix jumper, she is an UL event prospect but could just as easily go into the jumper or hunter ring
    www.cadoganfarm.com

If you're lucky enough to be Irish... You're lucky enough!

Fanfayre - thanks for the offer. I sometimes come to the Island as we have a daughter at UVic and relatives north of you. It is nice of you to invite. I have a TB mare foaling in August to a ISH. I think the 3/4 TB is nice.

Foxtrot's;
    UVic alumnus here, grad 2000!!!! BEST school!!!
    Anytime, I'll be here
    Which ISH are you waiting for? I have a 3-yr old ISH gleding by Celtic King. I'm going to take him to the Irish Horse Extravaganza at Thunderbird in July. Will you be there?

Irish Momma- 1hour away?- I'm so jealous!!!

Don't know how I missed this.

I have two AFR red headed girls and they are both delightful. The 3 year old is in pro training and the 4 year old we're doing at home. Both sensible, even tempered and talented.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

I actually looked into registering a full tb as an Oldenburg, and YES, as long as both parents are approved, you can do this. You cannot register your baby as a TB and as an OLD-- you have to choose one registry. So it isn't like paints and QH.

Also have to say I ADORE our AFR 3 year old, bred by Irish Momma/Cadogan. He is big, handsome, catty athletic, has grown very evenly, and is a big smooch. Very easy keeper as well. Could be a hunter, eventer or jumper. Would happily have a barn full of AFR get!

Fanfayre: My daughter graduated in 2000, also. Perhaps you walked across the stage together (the November convocation).
    Her name is Monica. Yes, everybody has a great time at UVic.
    My mare is in foal to To Be Sure. Her last year's sibling will be there. I'll be close to Denise Taylor's group.

I DID convocate in the November-so we probably did.
    I'll look for you then! I'll just have Caleb in the 3-yr old partbreds, but I may bring the other two horses I have in training to show on the Sunday and hopefully find some buyers.

Default thank you!

I just wanted to thank everyone who had such kind words to say about A Fine Romance (and about me)

Silly Mommy is right, I am a computer illiterate. However, a good friend is trying to update my webpage for me, and we are getting there. There may actually be video some day.
    Twentyfirst Century here I come!

As an eye witness, I can attest that Silly Mommy did indeed ride Fred, and she looked really good up there! Actually, SM ,he needs to be ridden a bit more, so come on up! I have always loved her Mandate boy, and am sorry that he was gelded. (although I understand). A beautiful, well-bred, talented horse! If my Cricket, AFR's full sister was a better candidate for frozen, I'd love to breed her to him.

As Talloaks indicated, the ISR OldNa will register a foal out of two TB parents, provided both parents are approved. For JC registry the breeding must be live cover.
    The foal can also be registered (they don't use the word 'registered' any more however - I think it is a certificate of identity)with the Canadian Sport Horse Association - as a half-bred if the mare is not approved. and as full-bred if the mare is approved. Mares can be approved 'sight unseen' if they have achieved a certain degree of performance. A full TB would be listed as an F0 however, not an F1, as I understand.

Speaking of Talloaks, she was being modest: her beautiful Amelia filly was tied for highest scoring foal in North America at last year's ISR Old NA inspections with an 8.6 score overall. Something Bernie as a breeder should be very proud of!

As a stallion owner, it is always gratifying to hear back good things from the mare owners, and offspring owners. I just had a great email this morning from a breeder on this BB. Really, that is what gets me up every day, and puts that little extra push behind the pitchfork.
    Irish Momma, mbj, fanfayre, bnh, talloaks, Elizabeth Callaghan, Dr Doolittle's friend (!), good luck with your babies and thanks for breeding your good mares to Fred. Silly Mommy {{huge hugs}} - I am still so sad for your loss of your beautiful boys.

Good luck to the OP with your lovely mare and your breeding plans.

Silverbells: I'm sure something can be arranged!
    VB: thank you very much for posting the pics.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!