The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

At Detroit one year I saw a saddle, the namplate on which said "Hillary #7," as in Hillary Schlusemeyer's saddle #7. This was when she was a junior. I'm sure most people with multiple rides have multple saddles. Makes it easier for the grooms as well.

im sure she has many saddles....i remember walking down the isles at Devon and at all those big barns the girls had many many saddles....makes sense...if i had the money to have that many horses i would want them all to have a saddle that fit them perfectly to keep them at the top of their game!!! only makes sense

I don't know what George rides in but a few years ago in one of the clinics I rode in with him he got on the horse I was riding and complimented me on what a nice saddle I had. He said that he loved how simple it was. It is a Butet that is pretty flat. It has no blocks and the knee pad is thin.

Does this not empirically deny the "Tad Coffin Magic Saddles fit EVERY HORSE" theory? 'Cuz if they did, wouldn't everyone have just one saddle and it'd be a Tad?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by playing cards again II View Post
    At Detroit one year I saw a saddle, the namplate on which said "Hillary #7," as in Hillary Schlusemeyer's saddle #7. This was when she was a junior. I'm sure most people with multiple rides have multple saddles. Makes it easier for the grooms as well.
    Saw this with Molly Braswell at Devon a couple of years ago. I think I saw #6. Makes it easier to jump on a horse/pony and not have to change saddles around. They also probably have different saddles to fit different shapes of horses. Can you imagine breaking all of the saddles in?? Oh what a life!
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Does this not empirically deny the "Tad Coffin Magic Saddles fit EVERY HORSE" theory? 'Cuz if they did, wouldn't everyone have just one saddle and it'd be a Tad?!
    Is Tad Coffin really claiming that?! ... it's like advertising that a certain size jacket fit every man on earth...That doesn't make any sense

Quote Originally Posted by MILOUTE55 View Post
    Is Tad Coffin really claiming that?! ... it's like advertising that a certain size jacket fit every man on earth...That doesn't make any sense
    Not really remember well maybe you are to young to remember but back inthe day there was (if not close to) only 1 size of saddle with or with out a cut back pommel but if it fit you it fit the horse. Oh yes and the option of long or short flaps. Other then that there were not diferent sizes of gullets.
    Friend of bar .ka

I saw a Delgrange saddle at Hunterdon with (can't remember) either GM's name or "Hunterdon" on it; suffice to say he approved its purchase/use. It wasn't one of the uber-deep ones...maybe a PJ Lite?

Chris Kappler, who rode with GM for eons, is a Butet man (and sponsored by them as well); I'd assume he rode in Butets with GM's blessing.

I'd also assume that, perhaps tucked in a closet at GM's Wellington digs, is an old Hermes Steinkraus.

These days, considering that he does mostly clinics, he probably rides in whatever saddle belongs to the horse he's getting on.

We still have a Crosby Hunterden - I think we would be laughed at if we showed up in it. What kind of Bates are these people riding in?

MILOUTE55, not sure if Tad himself espouses the "magic saddle theory" but the denziens seem to trot the theory out on a regular basis.

horseless no more, I am old enough to remember when saddles really only came in one tree, at least in terms of what was readily available. Doesn't mean they fit every horse... just that it's what was available.

I am a big proponent of using a saddle that fits the particular rider/horse and it irks me when I see any saddle being touted as magical-one-size-fits all.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    We still have a Crosby Hunterden - I think we would be laughed at if we showed up in it. What kind of Bates are these people riding in?
    Hardly--I've won many a class (both hunter and eq) in mine, which gives me a smile when others can't stand sitting in it.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm with ya... I looked at TCs and while Tad did not say flat out that his saddle fits every horse, he said confidently that "Thi$ $addle will definitely fit your horse with one of the$e pad$, it's ju$t a matter of which one." Oh, and I might need his girth too. As it happened, the saddle would only have fit my horse if it had been completely redesigned. I think the saddles themselves are nice... when they fit the horse, and they definitely don't fit everything.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Not really remember well maybe you are to young to remember but back inthe day there was (if not close to) only 1 size of saddle with or with out a cut back pommel but if it fit you it fit the horse. Oh yes and the option of long or short flaps. Other then that there were not diferent sizes of gullets.
    I still have an old spring tree saddle and damn if it doesn't fit most medium width horses better than the saddles their owners have had custom made. I often use a pad that has closed cell under the panels for a better fit but the tree is incredibly flexible and the gullet is wide.

Flat as a pancake. I love it. Most horses love it. Younger riders can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by silver2 View Post
    I still have an old spring tree saddle and damn if it doesn't fit most medium width horses better than the saddles their owners have had custom made. I often use a pad that has closed cell under the panels for a better fit but the tree is incredibly flexible and the gullet is wide.

Flat as a pancake. I love it. Most horses love it. Younger riders can't stand it.
    I had one of these circa 1976. Flat as a pancake, hard as a rock, but boy can you feel the horse underneath you with it....

And it fit my cobby 1st horse, my medium sized QH, and my slab sided TB....It sort of had a molding type of quality to it....can't really explain it, but alas it not longer fits ME.

I pulled it out of storage when my daughter started riding. The girls at the barn where she rode for a while were always asking what kind of saddle it was because it looked so different from the saddles used today...

Renn/aissance... My beef was that the saddle was quite obviously too narrow for the horse (who is admittedly a chunk). Tad kept looking at the pictures and saying "I can't explain why it doesn't fit." But I dunno... it's not rocket science. One tree isn't going to fit every horse in the world. If it's too wide, it can be padded a bit-- but if it's too narrow, there's nothing you can do. He seemed irritated with ME that the saddle didn't fit. I sent him pictures of the horse before I took a demo saddle and TOLD him the horse was a big wide horse. I can't help it that the tree only comes in one width and that it's a medium. How is that my fault?!

Oh, and the tree IS A MEDIUM. People can say it's wide until they're blue in the face but that doesn't make it so. It's a generous-ish medium but a medium none-the-less. Take out a tape measure and measure it. A tape measure doesn't lie, or believe in magic. I measured the demo and it was roughly a 31 CM tree. That is a medium in virtually any saddle brand I can think of. It's not a wide, no matter how much the marketing may suggest otherwise.

I just cannot fathom how a medium tree saddle is supposed to fit every horse. Even with padding. If any other manufacturer claimed that, people would stop buying their saddles-- but with the right name attached, I guess you can sell anything. More power to him! I'm just bummed because I would have loved to have bought one of his saddles... in a tree that actually fit my horse... but it's not available. Unless you believe in magic.
    Last edited by vxf111; Jun. 17, 2008 at 10:32 AM. Reason: I typed "inches" and meant "CM"
    ~Veronica

I measured the demo and it was roughly a 31 inch tree. That is a medium in virtually any saddle brand I can think of.
    A 31 inch tree? Really? How exactly did you measure that to come up with 31 inches?

I have seen Brianne ride in an Antares as well. Same saddle that I have so I noticed it. But I am sure she has a few different ones she rides in.
    Certified Equine Appraiser
    www.wishnhopeequineappraisals.com

Oops, typo. 31 CENTIMETERS, not inches. 31 inches would be a HECK of a wide tree. Sorry! Editing my post!
    ~Veronica

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

GM rides in a saddle made from an ancient tree that is covered in Bison hide and accented with Swarovski crystals. It was all the rage back in the day.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

jumper2121 Guest

Brianne's farm is "sponsored" by Devacoux. She does have many saddles such as the CWD and Antares. She uses whatever fits the horses. She has many different Devacoux saddles that she uses.