The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Starman mares

I am looking at a Starman/Prinz Gaylord/Lucky Boy mare as a broodmare prospect & I am wondering if anyone here has a Starman mare that they are breeding? If so, have you found a particular bloodline that nicks well? This mare was a sucessful hunter. Thanks.

I have ridden a two babies that came out of a Starman man. Both are stunning and by Olympic show jumpers so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well. Someone else posted recently about looking for crosses for her Starman mare I believe, so try a search as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

If I found a Starman mare, I would start breeding jumpers again. I would *love* to have one of his daughters.

And yes, as I recall, another COTHer has one. I would search under starman and see if you can find the thread.

Ooohhh...I think I know which mare this is. She is lovely. I would scoop her up in a hot second.

I bred a Starman mare out of a Lucky boy mare...she produced extremely well with Grande Saber/Grundstein
    I also have a Heisman...half sis to Grande Saber. Heart of Gold and scope over the moon!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Starbound.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	21399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stand @barn 1best.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	21400  

Lovely mares TWF! I am waiting on a video of this mare, but it looks like she may be coming to live with me. I am so excited. Now who to breed her to? Does anyone else have Starman offspring or Starman mares that they have bred?

I've heard that the Starman offspring can be extremely difficult - verging on dangerous - and the gelding I had experience with certainly was. Has anyone else found that to be true? Perhaps the mares have better temperaments?

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircleTraining View Post
    I've heard that the Starman offspring can be extremely difficult - verging on dangerous - and the gelding I had experience with certainly was. Has anyone else found that to be true? Perhaps the mares have better temperaments?

The mare that I knew was lovely. Athletic, good work ethic....sensitive, forward, and tons of scope. Very good jumper. I don't remember anything difficult about her other than since she was so athletic, when she did buck or play...it had more gusto than less athletic horses....but that is true with any of the truly nice athletic horses that I've know. She was not mean or dangerous at all. But she was well started and always in the hands of good experienced horse people in very consistent work.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

These boards can present a very skewed view of horses' temperaments. So while constantly proclaiming the wonderfulness of a stallion can be misleading, judging a stallions offspring on two horses can also be damaging to his reputation. A horse is only as good as the people who produced him and even professionals can mess up a horse in their haste to make a dollar. Then the dam has as much or more to do with the temperament of the offspring as each animal has two parents. Just saying...

Default Starman mare to Mezcalero

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    The mare that I knew was lovely. Athletic, good work ethic....sensitive, forward, and tons of scope. Very good jumper. I don't remember anything difficult about her other than since she was so athletic, when she did buck or play...it had more gusto than less athletic horses....but that is true with any of the truly nice athletic horses that I've know. She was not mean or dangerous at all. But she was well started and always in the hands of good experienced horse people in very consistent work.
    Wow, that describes my mare to a T. She is by Starman out of Forever Tango (TB). She is now 15 and I just "retired" her from a long and successful jumper career (she's still happy and completely sound) to breed her to Mezcalero. I'll find out soon if she is in foal or not. She has always been very sensitive in a self-preservation kind of way and super forward, actually looking for the next jump on course. (If she could tell the number boards apart, I would not be necessary in a jump-off And while her playful bucks are rather spectacular, there is not a mean bone in her body and even when she spooks she doesn't bolt or do anything dangerous. She's playful, kind and very respectful on the ground. The farrier and vet's favorite to work on.

If anyone knows of a Mezcalero foal from a Starman mare, I would be very interested to hear ! First foal...for both of us !

Best to all.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircleTraining View Post
    I have never heard that about Starman offspring, personally.

Thanks for the insight everyone! This mare is still with her breeder, an amateur owner who showed her in the hunters. Started her herself, owned her mother who did the A/O jumpers & her grandmother whom Hap Hansen showed in the jumpers. I doubt she's got a bad temperament if an ammy is the one who has brought her along. I am still waiting on a video, but I am leaning heavily toward purchasing her the more I think about it. Now to choose a date for her.

Oh, I think I know this mare too! She was super cute in her pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by mare shopper View Post
    Thanks for the insight everyone! This mare is still with her breeder, an amateur owner who showed her in the hunters. Started her herself, owned her mother who did the A/O jumpers & her grandmother whom Hap Hansen showed in the jumpers. I doubt she's got a bad temperament if an ammy is the one who has brought her along. I am still waiting on a video, but I am leaning heavily toward purchasing her the more I think about it. Now to choose a date for her.
    I would snap that mare up, especially with a good damline like that!

HBHorsey Guest

Default Sweet, Sweet, Sweet

I have a Starman gelding and he is the sweetest horse I have ever known. Never a dirty stop or a nasty temper. More like a giant labrador!!::