The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Area 2 Fall Prelims

Can anyone give me some hands on info about the fall prelims in Area 2. Virginia in particular but also Maryland.

Loudoun Hunt PC @ Oatlands

Middleburg Hunt PC @ Glenwood Park

Maryland Horse Trials @ Loch Moy

Waredaca

I have schooled most of Rubicon's Prelim and feel confident and plan on attending their fall trial, but that is the last one of the season for this area. What about before that. I think I have the funds to do three total this fall at prelim.

I think the DRPC fall event is going to be too early (late summer-too hot, maybe) for my liking, plus the "hulk" oxer and the prelim Trakhner scare the beejesus out of me.

TIA

Sarah
    Common sense is the least common thing in the world.

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/62832282gErEqu

I think they have redesigned the courses at MDHT, but last fall it was pretty straight forward. There were no ditches at all, there was a corner (but it was just by itself), the ditch and brush, the water was a one stride (it was pretty small though, like a log type jump, one stride to another one going into the water). But, I guess since the courses have been redesigned that may not help you much.

DRPC in August was hot last year, but everyone did a fantastic job of dealing with the heat, there was lots of water provided.

Hey there Zeus,

There was actually thread about this very topic not too long ago (of course I can't find it, or I would post the link!)

A few quick commments (from the thread), though I'm sure others will weigh in

Middleburg's P course is BIG! (I would say maxed out?)

Loudoun's course (at Oatlands) is *mostly* pretty straightforward, but last fall there was a big *Honking* Trakehner on course (makes the one at FP look small--though the one at FP is airier...), and there was also apparently a tough question (that caught a bunch of people out): IIRC, it was a downhill skinny into the shade, that was part of a combo. (asterix rode the course and had trouble at the Trak; I know some others weighed in on how the course rode, too.) The ground was really hard there last fall (thanks, drought ), so that didn't help matters...

I was just at Loch Moy yesterday, and they have changed a lot of things around there: the stadium and dressage are now on footing (yay! ), and they have a new water complex and bank complex--with some new skinnies--there wasn't a ton of new stuff out there to jump (they had moved some portables around) They stillo have Trakehner "row" and the brush and wall "row" (which is big!), and most of the P jumps there are pretty stout. (They have a HUGE corner, but apparently that was an option last year...) yellowrose would say it's a good moveup course, but , I don't know; things look biggish to me compared to other Prelim courses I've "inspected" and schooled over myself during the past 2-3 years. On the plus side, the approaches and terrain there are both good, so other than some of the the jumps in the woods, there's nothing "trappy" about the course: it's big and galloping...The ground can get hard if there's no rain, since it's on top of a hill. I think Carolyn and Co. aggravate the footing before the HTs. I'm entered in the second one this summer (at T), and am volunteering at the first one--plus am planning ot try to walk the P course with Emily Beshear. I should have a better idea of how it rides by then (as well as what new wrinkles they've added!), which will help in case I want to enter the one in the fall )

(I don't know if that's any help, but I'm sure you will get reports from some folks who have actually ridden the course, as opposed to schooled over pieces of it )

As for DRHT, I am planning to move the girl up there, since she's jumped all the P stuff there (easily) with the exception of the P side of the Irish Bank (which has been closed for all but a little while last fall); the corner (I schooled the option); the table (gulp!), and the "hulk oxer" to which you refer?? (I'm assuming you mean that great creosoted black thing after the corner, on the edge of the field/tree line?) I was going to jump that last time I schooled there, but it was partially in shadow when I was there, so was sort of hard to see--I decided to save it for later. I don't think it's much bigger (or wider) than the big log P jump in the woods...It always seems to ride great, so I wouldn't worry about it with your big boy

Anyway, I will look forward to hearing others' insights, since I too am interested in getting as much info as possible on this topic (and of course keep in mind that some of these courses are different each time--though those ginormous permanant Trakehners tend to be there year after year )
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Thanks so much. It looks like in talking to friends, it will be Loudoun as our move up, Maryland and then Rubicon. The three is all the finances will allow.

Middleburg is, I have been told many times over, a "ready to Intermediate" course. We shall save that one for next fall! hopefully.
    Common sense is the least common thing in the world.

Pictures: http://community.webshots.com/album/62832282gErEqu

Quote Originally Posted by S4zeus View Post
    Thanks so much. It looks like in talking to friends, it will be Loudoun as our move up, Maryland and then Rubicon. The three is all the finances will allow.

Middleburg is, I have been told many times over, a "ready to Intermediate" course. We shall save that one for next fall! hopefully.
    Sounds like a plan

(And you can always school some big Traks between now and then; your boy shouldn't have problems with anything else at Loudoun, I wouldn't think )

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

As much as I appreciate the work DRPC puts into the courses and footing at Frying Pan, I would not be running a prelim horse there. Way too hard in "fall".

Middleburg is big. Doable and well designed, but big.

Waredaca in the fall can go a number of ways, though it is always fair. Sometimes in the fall it is big and asks some good questions. Sometimes I think they are thinking that most of the horses that have been going all year have done the one star and are not running, so the horses and riders still going are probably newer to the level. I always love the course there, though.

What about Seneca? I think it is usually a fairly solid course, but nothing silly.

Loudoun in the past has been a great course. I don't think a lot of people last year thought that, though I have a rather cocky friend (who a couple of months later moved up to intermediate) who said it was "small." (easy enough to say when galloping around on a confirmed two star horse! ).

VHT is usually good...terrain is the question there. And if you already set on Rubicon, you probably won't want to do VHT, too.

Not in VA or MD, but it is supposed to be a great course...Plantation Field.

And I've never paid close enough attention, but there is also CDCTA.

Everyone told me (who was in the same place you are now last year) that ESDCTA in NJ was a good fall move up -- but I didn't go...too far.

That Loudon course last year I do NOT think was a good moveup -- and I'm not just saying that because I got eliminated at the Trakhener . Fence 3 was a single chevron, light to dark, downhill, with water behind it. Several stops at it right as I was warming up (there's a confidence booster for you). It was a big course for the most part too.

I ended up "completing" my moveup at Waredaca and it was WONDERFUL. Very open and forward in the beginning to get your rhythm (as opposed to Loudon), fair questions, tons of fun. It was not as hard as it had been in other years, I think because of what YB said about it being "post one star."

The problem with MHT in the past has been that due to the compressed space it is also harder to get a rhythm going there -- I was discouraged from moving up there for that reason. But I have no idea how the courses will be now.

As a confirmed trakhener-phobe, I can tell you that the trak at MHT is MUCH nicer than the one at Loudon. Big, but doable.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Ah, thanks c_expresso!

And asterix has a good point; I just did the T Trak at Loch Moy on Saturday (which I both schooled over and rode over in the Short Course Event last year, and which the "Hypervigilant One" was concerned about the first time over, thanks to the "different colored bluestone" footing leading up to it, so stuck at the base and jumped it from a standstill, and then subsequently tended to stick at the base of the next 3 Trakehners she jumped , but honestly, the P Trak (right next to it) didn't look very intimidating...(The one at Loudoun, however?? )

I'm not a Trak phobe, per se (I'm actually a "big suare table phobe" ), but some of those suckers can be pretty intimidating

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    , but honestly, the P Trak (right next to it) didn't look very intimidating...(The one at Loudoun, however?? )
    Do you happen to have a picture of the Loudoun one?

So is the T trak not too bad at loch moy? I am probably headed to one or both MDHTs and am just curious about the traks since I HATE THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    Ah, thanks c_expresso!

And asterix has a good point; I just did the T Trak at Loch Moy on Saturday (which I both schooled over and rode over in the Short Course Event last year, and which the "Hypervigilant One" was concerned about the first time over, thanks to the "different colored bluestone" footing leading up to it, so stuck at the base and jumped it from a standstill, and then subsequently tended to stick at the base of the next 3 Trakehners she jumped , but honestly, the P Trak (right next to it) didn't look very intimidating...(The one at Loudoun, however?? )

I'm not a Trak phobe, per se (I'm actually a "big suare table phobe" ), but some of those suckers can be pretty intimidating

well, you know, you can't be a bigger trak phobe than me, c, and I have jumped that prelim trak at MHT schooling without a stop (a bobble, perhaps, but not a stop). The one at Loudon is DEFINITELY bigger and scarier. I think the one at MHT is more like the one at Waredaca, and probably a bit smaller than the one at MCTA...

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by c_expresso View Post
    So is the T trak not too bad at loch moy? I am probably headed to one or both MDHTs and am just curious about the traks since I HATE THEM!

Well the one last year was fairly big...well it rode bigger than it walked. Last year you jumped a skinny log and had 5-6 (maybe more) strides to the Trakehner....it had a lot of stone dust in front of it which had a lot of horses looking...you had to ride fairly forward to it. My one horse doesn't normally look but even she sucked back a bit. I thought it rode well since you could really kick to it but I don't have issues with Trakehners or ditch and walls....
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Yeah, the P Trak at Loch Moy isn't that much bigger than the T Trak, and they are side by side, instead of having it "stuck out there in a field all by itself", which somehow makes a Trak look more intimidating

The one at Loudoun at Oatlands

It's too bad there's no way to take a gander at that one (course never open), and they wouldn't have a pic of it unless the photographers took some photos of horses jumping it during the HT. (If so, you could probably track it down, no pun intended Wasn't GRC the photographer there? I got a nice photo from them over the T brush skinny...)

well, bornfree, as usual, you are right!

I should add that the last time I schooled over at Loch Moy, we did the Training trak first, and that went sorta crappy (as Dr. D described, puke down the hill at the stonedust, then heave over trakhener). I got rightly yelled out, sent off to gallop a fence or two and light a fire under his giant warmblood ass, and then came done positively guns a-blazing to the prelim one...which rode beautifully.

So that was a good lesson in how to ride those, which I have been TRYING to take in as best I can. I should say, though, that my horse never gets ahead of himself and never rushes anything, so I have the luxury of riding "against" fences like that. The setup they've used in the past, with the skinny, can potentially help you balance and then come forward again to achieve what I can do just by yelling and kicking (inelegant, but, hey, it works!)...

sigh. I suppose by the time we are faced with another trakhener I will have lost this lesson completely. Big guy is on stall rest with suspensory strain and I will be lucky to be out at any level next spring. sorry, random off-topic rant over.

His new little brother

Here you go:
    http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...6G3C0056&po=26

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    sigh. I suppose by the time we are faced with another trakhener I will have lost this lesson completely. Big guy is on stall rest with suspensory strain and I will be lucky to be out at any level next spring. sorry, random off-topic rant over.

So sorry to hear that. Hope he heals quickly. I've nursed a couple of those and they came back fine. Just take your time with the rehab...and if needed, tranquilzers are useful (possibly for both of you) !

I can just see your guy measuring up that Trakhener.....I don't think you could ride him too forward to one! He is a cool boy....a real thinker. I'm sure he will be back at it.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Thanks a lot! That doesn't look bad at all. This was the first trakehner I ever jumped... it was a big son of a gun for weenie me!! I almost crapped my pants.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1564560192

Have any of you trakehner fearing people seen the preliminary trakehner at The Fork? This spring they were at somewhat of an angle (I wish I had a picture), and you had a table before them, and had to make sure you got a good line, but they seemed decently sized to me and trakehners don't bother me at all. I'm curious about the one at Loudoun. I didn't think the trakehner at DRHT was big at all, and the one at Loch Moy isn't really big, but they usually use it in some sort of combination. For example, last fall it was the trakehner, and then you had about 3-4 strides to turn to a skinny.

For those of you who don't like trakehners, how do you feel about the ditch and brush type stuff? I hate those.

Thanks a lot! That doesn't look bad at all. This was the first trakehner I ever jumped... it was a big son of a gun for weenie me!! I almost crapped my pants.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1564560192

The jump isn't bad...it is the stone dust in front of it that has a lot of the horses backed off.